1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Level editor too small to read

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Geklmin, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Geklmin

Geklmin
    Expand Collapse

I have a 4k screen, and this video toy/game/engine is clearly not designed for it. I cannot read any of the text on the level editor screen, it is way too small (about the side of size 1 font in microsoft word, maybe smaller)

I don't have grandpa eyes, I have 20/20 vision and i'm under 20... but this is ridiculous

this is literally the only major problem I have with BeamNG drive.

I can't read the text on the level editor screen.

If I have to turn my monitor's resolution down every time I want to play BeamNG, it's going to get really old really fast.

AND... if possible...

I'd really like to play the game in windowed maximized to be nearly fullscreen but upscaled (e.g. the renderer runs at 720p but it's upscaled to 4k so it takes up my whole screen)

I have a gtx 960 so the game chugs if I run it in windowed mode and maximize it, i'd like to lock the resolution to a pre-set value and just have it do upscaling (Nearest filtering mode) or down-scaling depending on how I resize the window.

No, really, why don't most applications support locking the viewport resolution and just scaling the output of the renderer? It's literally just a screenquad. In fact, it seems like something windows should support natively.

If I resize the window to be 720p it's way too small

(My own OpenGL rendering engine supports upscaling or downscaling beteween any 2 sizes and it took <30 minutes to implement so if you guys can't do it that's just plain sloppiness)

Attached Files:

• BeamNGtoosmall.png
  2. Applenapslap 2

Applenapslap 2
    Expand Collapse

Open The Editor And Do CTRL +

3. Geklmin

Geklmin
    Expand Collapse

Doesn't do anything

4. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

That's part of the Torque3D World Editor, which comes from another era where 4k screen were not a thing yet :)
    IIRC it's all based on pixel positions, so it does not scale up and down. If something is meant to be 20x20px, it will be across any resolution.
    Took note of this issue, I'm not sure whether something can be done for this particular editor.

5. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Solution is simple though, just make a new editor :D :D :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

right cuz that wont take 5 years to do lol

• Like Like x 1
  7. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Yeah that is kinda the joke, making new editor is very complex thing to do that takes a lot of time and effort, then again constant troubles with current editor and not much changes to it might indicate they actually might be doing new editor already, but I would think that is not very likely, but then again you never know.

4K for this game is not happening at solid 60fps for few years though, so I doubt 4K is not going to be main reasons if they would do new editor.

8. Ewanc

Ewanc
    Expand Collapse

Id suggest setting your desktop resolution to 1080p and save 4K for full screen apps only. Its the best solution for running legacy apps like this one, installers and editing software. The editor is even worse at lower resolution because the UI takes up most of the view port.

9. ThomasMu

ThomasMu
    Expand Collapse

I am playing this game at 4K 60FPS with no problems, my GPU is a 1080ti With a small overklock.
    CPU is a i7 6800K running at 4.0GHz.

BeamNG4K.jpg
    This is my settings:

BeamNGS.jpg

As for the Level editor problem you can try to change the scaling in Windows.

10. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Video of WCUSA 4 cars? :D

What I meant was on average as that is what development is aimed for, rarely for minority which even my system belongs to, but if they would need to work on editor for other reasons and if it is not a problem to fix scaling for 4K, then it might happen.

However systems that can run 4K well are few, so what I mean by "4K is not coming in few years" is that majority will not have that in few years, unless they improve performance of the game of course, which also is going to take some time, but hopefully some day.

50" 4K screen is also something I hope for, just to avoid things getting too small :D

11. ThomasMu

ThomasMu
    Expand Collapse

Here you go, took me almost 6 hours to upload. It is a little hard to see the FPS numbers, it dips below 50 FPS at times. But mostly it is stable at 60 FPS.

I think that 4K gaming will become the norm within a few years, the prices of 4K monitors and 4K capable GPU`s is dropping fast. High refresh 4K monitors is a bit expensive at the moment, but i think the prices will drop soon.

I also stream BeamNG to my 42" 4K TV via the Nvidia Shield, works well except for the higer input lag, but the scaling problem is still there for certain programs. Steam`s UI is very small in 4K so i have to set scaling in Windows to 150% or even 200%.

12. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

That is beautiful, even though it can't quite keep up 60fps, it is still beautiful! :)

Currently there is no CPU that would really run BeamNG without dipping below 60fps, maybe 8th gen overclocked to 5Ghz might though, 2080Ti definitely would be enough already too.

In few years though software will probably be improved enough to allow your rig to run much more cars in 4K without dipping below 60fps, so 4K is coming for certain.

Currently most common GPU is gtx 1060 level and single core performance is most limiting aspect in that WCUSA scenario, GPU might be able to handle it much better, but it is the CPU that makes you dip below 60.

I have Skylake i7 as well as 8086K and gtx 1080, playing with DSR I have noticed that 1080 is not really 4K capable, overclocked Ti probably is, but it really takes 4.8Ghz or more from 8086K to be able to keep 60fps even with 1080p in current WCUSA and more cars in view.

That is likely to change in future though as game gets more optimizations.

I think that there will be these issues with 4K during this transition phase, but when 4K starts to be close to equally in use by users, then 4K is better supported with software too, however I'm not sure if 5 years is enough for that, I think it will require at least 1 more GPU generation, maybe 2.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice