Light And Powersteering Drawing Enginepower

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Schnoesel, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Schnoesel

Schnoesel
    Expand Collapse

Is it possible or are you planning to implement that (see titel) for the old Vehicles in the game, so that perhaps lets say you turn on the lights and steer fully to one side in an Burnside or a Barstow, the engine will rev a bit lower for a few seconds because it has to counter the force needed to steer and power the lights ?

2. ARES IV

ARES IV
    Expand Collapse

While it would add a certain amount of increased realism it is hard to see the gameplay justifcations for it, a matter made worse that it would require additional calculation and values which might hurt performance.

Classic cars dont have power steering and they had little electrical consumers beyond light which on itself isnt a very big consumer compared to all the electrical stuff modern cars tend to have.

Power steering drain is only really visible on low power engines when requesting a lot of assist, further limiting the usage factor in the game.

3. Schnoesel

Schnoesel
    Expand Collapse

Thx for the Feedback :) ... yeah I guess i would be unneccesary but a nice detail :) and with old Cars i ment cars from the early 90s and 80s .. e.g. the pessima and the 200bx or the ibishu Covet ( Burnside and Barstow was a bit far fetched from me ) they are 70s and 60s i think

4. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

I mean... your not wrong... there is definitely a small amount of draw there. With lights, not so much, but like in my car, if I turn on the blower for the heater, that drag alone is enough to drop the idle by about 200RPM's... the lights I can scarcely tell the difference however, so I don't think that is really nesenary.

Power steering on the other hand... that can give the same effect depending on the vehicle. If the vehicle is fuel injected, you will notice a dip, but the computer usually does a really good job of counteracting the force with a little extra throttle (probably through the IAC or if more modern, with the throttle body directly) so once the RPM's drop, they normally come right back even with the power steering on.

Carbureted vehicles on the other hand... they didn't really have an idle correction usually... 9 times out of 10 it was all done with a screw that set the idle, maintaining it was left up to you. So once a load was put on the engine, that engine would lose those RPM's until that load was removed... power steering load could definitely come into effect then... but it would probably have to be a fairly small engine to really make too much of a difference. In my truck (the only carbureted vehicle I own) it has a 350 V8... turning the thing, even with 35" tires, I can't even notice a drop in RPM's on it.

5. Schnoesel

Schnoesel
    Expand Collapse

good point :) yeah and thats what i thought .. i have a 94 Civic EG with a 125 HP i4 and about 130 Nm of torque and its ECU is a bit fucked up so it sometimes even stalls when i have lights on and steer to one side ... and thats where i got the ideo from .. and yeha normally the computer regulates that but mine is to slow xD I can sometimes almost Stall the engine by just turning up the Radio the AC and the lights and Highbeams

6. RedHorizon

RedHorizon
    Expand Collapse

Trucks and heavy vehicles have been using power steering since at least the earlier 1940's and passenger cars started using it in 1951. It was certainly an option on most of your late-50's cruisers and late-60's muscle cars, I'd consider those classic.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice