1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Logitech G29 best setup?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Amifreak5, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Amifreak5

Amifreak5
    Expand Collapse

Hello beam ng enthusiasts!

I am playing the game since the start in 2013 and I am still amazed by the development that comes with each update! Some days ago I bought myself the Logitech G29 and I set it up quite right I guess. I just want to share my setup with those who also bought this steering wheel in order to give them a great experience!

If anybody does have any suggestions to make the feeling of the force feedback or the steering even better, he/she is welcome to share its settings!

My ingame settings are shown in the pictures ;) I have to say that I did not change any settings in the logitech gaming software (version: 8.96)!

What I also have to say is that the cars are still steering pretty much differently with the same settings...but still my settings are quite good for all the cars I guess...

Attached Files:

• 1.png
    • 2.png
    • Like Like x 1
  2. EcoNadder77

EcoNadder77
    Expand Collapse

Cool, thanks for sharing your configuration! Have you tried driving the ETK800 Series with the "advanced/dynamic power steering" selected in the parts selector yet?

3. Amifreak5

Amifreak5
    Expand Collapse

Hey econadder, no I have never tried that! What's the difference? Did you try out my settings and did you like it? By the way, at first I had the steering wheel centering spring activated and set at 30% strength in the logitech gaming software...but after a while I realised that you cannot turn the wheel as fast as you need at times, especially when trying to prevent a loss of control...so I deactivated it completely.

I'd be glad for more reviews and for the sharing of others setups with the G29 wheel! As I've already been writing, my setup is quite good for all the cars but it differs from car to car...

4. EcoNadder77

EcoNadder77
    Expand Collapse

Sadly, I do not have a racing wheel; just a joystick. I'd like to try one out someday. Because of this, I haven't been able to experience the FFB of the power steering. However, people who have tried it have commented that the advanced option feels really good/realistic.

5. SandwichesANDmilk

SandwichesANDmilk
    Expand Collapse

i have a thrust master tmx do you think this would work?

6. Amifreak5

Amifreak5
    Expand Collapse

I have got no idea...but doesn't anybody else have the G29 and was looking for good settings or has to share any experiences?

7. SandwichesANDmilk

SandwichesANDmilk
    Expand Collapse

i tested it with mine
    i started turning and it kept turning XD

8. CrazyFlySquid

CrazyFlySquid
    Expand Collapse

I have a G29 + shifter myself for about 6 months and I found that you should disable the self centering force in the profiler, as it just pulls the wheel to the centre when the game would normally handle that.

Here's the FFB settings I've been using:
    Strength: 700
    Low Speed Strength: 200
    Max Strength: 10
    Slow Smoothing: 150
    Fast Smoothing: 100
    Plus a custom LUT (Response Correction Curve ingame).

9. Amifreak5

Amifreak5
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, dissabling the centering spring really is most important!

10. 440cid

440cid
    Expand Collapse

Just got myself a G29 as well. I'm so used to Xbox 360 controllers and now I kinda suck at driving. Usually I can counter-steer the car easily when the car starts sliding but now that the steering is quite heavy I find myself helpless when the car starts sliding.

My wheel feels weird. It feels loose from 0-5% steering input but suddenly starts becoming heavy at say 6% input or more.

I will try your setting and see if it helps.

11. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

12. 440cid

440cid
    Expand Collapse

I just tried using your exact setting and suddenly my skill improved! My problem of uneven weight at steering is kinda solved too.

It was a good read, thank you for giving me that article. I noticed that I might set my FFB too strong to a point that I can't steer properly because the vibrations and steering is too heavy. I was using default values and turns out it is way too unoptimized for G29. Do you happen to know how to use the FFB Graph app to tweak the FFB? Might be helpful for new steering wheel users.

Edit: I just read over here http://www.edracing.com/edr/Wheel-Torque.php it states that Logitech G29 approximately has 2.1 Nm output torque. If that's true, to get "full" feedback range, we need to set max strength to 2.1. Then adjust strength, both slow speed and high speed so the max requested FFB is 2.1 Nm. Am I correct?

#12 440cid, Feb 7, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  13. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I must say now that I don't know. It is 4 years since I used a steering wheel and it was around time when realfeel plugin came to rFactor (1) that we did have bit of camps in sim racing community where others thought strong ffb is best and others thought weaker ffb is giving best results, then Niels (who was a modder of rFactor back then), shared tiny glimpse of his incredible bright brain and showed us how ffb really needs to be quite weak.

I have to say that I have never tested BeamNG with a wheel and so I don't know how you should set wheel, but what you write sounds logical, however we might need some one from the dev team to share their thoughts to really know how to get best out from the wheel.

It would be easy if you could induce certain force to wheel and test one step bigger and one step smaller force, if you can't feel the difference adjusting max force would be needed.

14. 440cid

440cid
    Expand Collapse

Well, I tried the method that I posted above.

First, I enabled the Force Feedback Graph, then set the limit to 2.5 (Nm). Then I idled my car, and steer lock to lock. We can see in the graph:
    1. How much the game requested torque
    2. How much the driver is receiving torque
    3. The limit that we set (2.5 Nm).

I reduced the steering slow speed FFB strength up to the point where the game only requested 2.5 Nm of torque maximum (I steered like crazy lock to lock when standing still) and the driver is only receiving 2.5 Nm of torque. Then this is where it gets hard; to adjust the high speed strength FFB. I drive faster (more than 60 mp/h) and find some rough terrain or bumpy roads and see the graph. Then lowering the FFB strength value so the game only requested around 2.5 Nm where it gets really rough when I go fast. I believe this is the way to go so we can experience almost full range of FFB (albeit very weak one).

The problem with setting the max strength to 2.5 Nm is when you crash hard, the torque that your steering wheel is only 2.5 Nm. Need to amp up the value so huge crash results stronger torque requested and received.

15. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Hmm, if your wheel's max is 2.1Nm, then it can't give you more than 2.5Nm, it can give you feeling of being stronger, but if measured it still will be equally strong, but instead you are saturating FFB so it is 2.5Nm with smaller impulse and does not increase from that, even it might feel so.

Or then setting it to 2.5Nm is not actually giving you 2.5Nm from wheel.

Then again, if you drive around in a skidpad (or at WCUSA race track, it has bit higher grip at the corners) so that you get maximum force to steering arm and set that to be 2.5Nm, I would think that you are all set. It does not matter if other forces go over the limit, as long as you get full resolution of how tires feel. Naturally it should be grippiest widest tires possible and other tires should have less force, if aiming for full realism, but maybe you need to set it for per vehicle and per tires to get full resolution and maximum possible FFB with different vehicles and tires.

So, those are just my thoughts, not sure if it is possible to get anything out from them, but that is how I kinda would understand the way to set for best FFB.

16. 440cid

440cid
    Expand Collapse

I've made a support ticket regarding this question and gave the devs the link to this thread. Hopefully they will eventually respond and help us.

17. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    Programmer & Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

The drivers of all of the steering wheels I have tested report the ability to exert 10N of force at the hand resting position. I don't know if it's a DirectInput bug, or all their drivers implementation is wrong, but in any case, these figures are wrong, since it's obvious that different steering wheel models with different rim radius and different motors must be able to exert different forces on your hand.

The figures you see on the FFB Graph UI app are not numbers you can trust until a future when all drivers report accurate numbers (which I doubt will ever happen).

Therefore, disregard the units in that graph, and pay attention to what you really feel. The limit on your wheel is probably between the 5-10 number (but I admit I haven't had accesss to play with that wheel so I may be wrogn).

In any case, the recommended procedure is to follow the Basic Configuration Guide https://wiki.beamng.com/Steering_wheel_setup#Basic_configuration_guide
    That will give you a baseline to start from.

Always keep in mind that real life wheels can provide infinite force (e.g. a colliding tree can be moving your steering rod basically as fast as your car was going when crashing), so you will never be able to balance smooth subtle driving forces versus huge thumb-breaking forces. You will have to decide on a compromise on where to use the little detail that PC steering wheels provide.

18. Amifreak5

Amifreak5
    Expand Collapse

It's is great to hear that it helped you! But what I found out is that it only works for original beam ng cars. If you've got the oldfullsize mod for example the steering is much to easy in my opinion...

19. Graf LOLtube

Graf LOLtube
    Expand Collapse

I installed my G29 today but BeamNG.drive don't recognizes the steeling wheel. All buttons work on the steering wheel but I can't steer the car.

20. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Follow this guide:
    https://wiki.beamng.com/Steering_wheel_setup

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice