Released Measurement Tools

Discussion in 'Props' started by Agent_Y, Jul 13, 2022.

1. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

Do you ever just want to measure something in game? Like you used scale modifiers on your flexbody and you want to see what size it has now? Or you want to know the wheelbase of vanilla vehicles? Now you can! Introducing the long ruler!
    default.png
    This prop allows you to check the size of anything with milimetric precision! The numbers are spaced by 1cm up until 1m, then there are gradually less and less markings as I was getting more and more tired of placing them lol. The full length of the ruler is almost 10m which should be more than enough to measure any car in the game!
    The usage of the ruler is pretty simple. You spawn it from the vehicle selector and then use the World Editor (F11) to set up its position and rotation as you wish. (Can be a bit annoying with the new gizmo but you can get used to it.) The ruler will not fall down, it will also not collide with any vehicles, basically it's not affected by physics. It can clip through anything with no issue which makes measurements way easier. For example, you can check the length of the Moonhawk from bumper to bumper:
    asass.png
    Roughly 530cm. That's a long car! And the ruler is almost twice as long!
    Why did I make this? Because nobody made it before, of course. Might be useful to some people too. Enjoy!

EDIT: Added a new tool, the spirit level. It is used to check if a surface is level. Kinda jank but I just wanted to try if it's possible to make. Use the Roll UI app on the prop to get an accurate reading of the surface angle. Only the top bubble works, the other is fake.
    default.jpg

Attached Files:

#1 Agent_Y, Jul 13, 2022
    Last edited: May 1, 2023
    • Like Like x 16
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Turbo49>

Turbo49>
    Expand Collapse

I wonder where that idea came from :rolleyes:
    Looks super useful though

3. Yash_gamin144

Yash_gamin144
    Expand Collapse

ayy nice ruler :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Andryusha

Andryusha
    Expand Collapse

Great idea.
    Much better than eyeballing

#4 Andryusha, Jul 14, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2023
  5. Chickenfoot

Chickenfoot
    Expand Collapse

You are a genius! thank you, I really needed it.

6. Leo Zieger

Leo Zieger
    Expand Collapse

Sorry to bump, but I´m too dummy to measure anything. Can´t bring the i-Series and the ruler in a useful relation, don´t know how to move things in F11 or handle the camera there, even more so to read the meter - the camera always goes too far. I wished I could "drive" the ruler. Could someone please measure me the length of an i-Series ETK? I´d be very grateful.

7. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

The length is 4.68m for the pre-facelift bumpers and 4.63m for the facelift ones. Though Jbeam-wise both are 4.68m.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Leo Zieger

Leo Zieger
    Expand Collapse

Thank you! I wanted to know if it is more like a 7-series (4.86m) or a 5-series (4.62m) so this riddle is now solved. I even managed to move some objects in F11 with 1,2,3 keyboard shortcuts.

9. VerrierChivace

VerrierChivace
    Expand Collapse

10. ImJacksBrother

ImJacksBrother
    Expand Collapse

the thing i didn't know i needed :D

11. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

Added another tool because I just wanted to try if it's possible to make in game. It's kinda jank but works.
    default.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  12. ALTER

ReAllY NeeDeD! GeNiUS!

13. Hank_Montgomery

Hank_Montgomery
    Expand Collapse

Can you add 1 or 10 or 100 km long ruler configurations to measure distances such as when one launches missile to see the distances between objects for more precise calculations if it the target is far amiss?

14. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

That would be so much work, sorry but I'm not really interested. It would be better to write some lua file to measure the distance.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice