Looking for a gaming laptop

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by pf12351, Sep 16, 2014.

1. pf12351

pf12351
    Expand Collapse

Hey guys, I want to upgrade my laptop and I am considering 4 PC's. My current laptop is a 2007(?) Sony Vaio with 4 gb ram, i3 pentium blah blah blah. These are the Laptop's I am considering.

Razer Blade Pro - http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Blade-G...id=1410867173&sr=8-2&keywords=razer+blade+pro

or

Alienware 17 - http://www.amazon.com/Alienware-ALW...8&qid=1410867039&sr=1-1&keywords=alienware+17

or

ASUS ROG G750JZ-XS72 - http://www.amazon.com/G750JZ-XS72-1...=UTF8&qid=1410868147&sr=1-6&keywords=asus+rog

or

Razer Blade 14 - http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Blade-Ga...HZFERNBSCE22RX

I would prefer the Razer or Alienware due to looks, and the lighting, but which one performs the best?

Thank you, pf.

#1 pf12351, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  2. numbazZ

numbazZ
    Expand Collapse

Razer Blade Pro, best choice :rolleyes:

3. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

I'd either have the Razer or the ROG, but the Alienware is OK if you want bloat to control the lighting of a touchpad.

4. HadACoolName

HadACoolName
    Expand Collapse

I have an Acer AS5560 and it runs beamng very well, its also got multiple other games ETS2, Micro Car Racing, NFS World, Driving Speed 2, Sims 3 & Sims 4, SimCity 4 & SimCity 5. That all run smoothly.
    Also might I ad its very durable, its survived a five foot drop off of a shelf twice, its had a 17kilo toddler fall and walk on it 1000x of times, its had coffee & lemonade spilt on it, and it never overheats or freezes. Its a fuckin wonderful laptop.
    1,a,acer-as5560g-a6-3420m-4gb-500-dvd-rw-7hp64-hd7670-116917,pr_2012_4_18_666.jpg

5. pf12351

pf12351
    Expand Collapse

I just did some research, and turns out the 14 inch Razer Blade is better from the more expensive Razer Blade Pro.

http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Blade-G..._sim_pc_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0Z28JNHZFERNBSCE22RX

- - - Updated - - -

I will look into it.

6. numbazZ

numbazZ
    Expand Collapse

7. Wheelie

Wheelie
    Expand Collapse

I have the y510p and I love this thing.

8. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

Razer would be just about the worst choice you could make...

9. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Alienware? Or are they on an equal tier now?

10. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

i'm pretty sure alienware would be worse then razer

11. pf12351

pf12351
    Expand Collapse

Okay, so besides the argument, what are some of the alternatives that are as powerful?

the alienware laptop is not overly bad, but the both the razers and the alienware do have major drawbacks which are making the decision hard.

12. pulley999

pulley999
    Expand Collapse

I see Sager Notebook tossed around, but do not know anyone who owns one. You configure your own specs and they build it for you.

13. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

OH, i have one company to suggest:

http://www.originpc.com/ (and no, they have absolutley no connection to EA whatsoever)

choose a beginning laptop, then choose your options and theyll build it and send it out to you

14. deject3d

deject3d
    Expand Collapse

buy a desktop

15. IBsenoj

IBsenoj
    Expand Collapse

I'd go with the Rog.

16. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

He has a desktop, and from the specs in his signature it's really damn good.

17. spavatch

spavatch
    Expand Collapse

So what's the point of getting a 'gaming laptop' which, compared to his desktop setup, will be half as good and twice as expensive? :p

18. 777-300ER

777-300ER
    Expand Collapse

I own a Sager laptop and it is rather good.

19. pf12351

pf12351
    Expand Collapse

I never knew you could take a desktop on the go... I always thought they needed a power source, and an independent monitor.
    You can't use a desktop in a car, train, plane. You can't take it over to your mates house and play with them. I need a portable computer... aka, a laptop.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you :)

20. deject3d

deject3d
    Expand Collapse

the problem is that gaming laptops will last like 2 hours max battery life when new under the stress of gaming. after you undoubtedly leave it plugged in 24/7 for a few months like everyone always does, your battery will have gone to shit and you will need to haul around the 2 pound power brick with an annoyingly thick cable to keep your 'mobile' computer powered on. ignoring that, you're going to need a mouse to play games, right? do you think you'll be able to find a comfortable position for a mouse and a dreadfully hot, huge, power-hungry laptop in a car, on a train, or in a plane? no. it will suck ass and you will look stupid. but at least you will be able to lay a piece of bread on top and enjoy a crunchy piece of toast within a few minutes. it's all too common for people to buy gaming laptops and then find out after a few months of dust and abuse they NEED a cooling pad to even play games without overheating - there goes your portability.

laptops marketed to gamers are an abomination. if you really want a machine to play at your friends' place, invest in a mini itx LAN build. gaming is not meant to be portable, but you can build a PC that's plenty easy to carry around. you can even buy a $1500 "gaming" laptop of yesteryear and still build a decent mini itx PC with your budget if your reaaaaally need to.

that reminds me: specifications. that $2000 14" razer blade pro has a gtx 765m. the 765m is about as powerful as the average mid-tier desktop gpu released in 2010, FOUR YEARS AGO. there is simply a limit on how powerful a laptop is going to be due to power, heat, and battery-related constraints. laptops are barely on the lower edge of 'decent' when they're brand new and at full price, but when you look at them 2 years down the line they are completely underpowered, useless, and impossible to upgrade - if they even last that long.

they're just not worth it. the fantasy of decent mobile gaming is just that - a fantasy. please don't give your money to these companies that make gaming laptops. you will not have a good experience unless you like to throw away money.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice