1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Low GPU and CPU usage

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Lare111, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Lare111

Lare111
    Expand Collapse

Why am I getting low FPS with low GPU and CPU usage when I'm spawning many cars? Which component is actually bottlenecking?

5 cars spawned in Utah:

6 cars spawned in Utah:

2. iheartmods

iheartmods
    Expand Collapse

Edit

Could be your GPU; adding more cars would quickly slow down your processor.

#2 iheartmods, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  3. NoxiousFumes

NoxiousFumes
    Expand Collapse

Nothing should be bottlenecking, you have a 970 and an i7-6700. I have worse than that and it runs fine. Maybe need @Nadeox1 one here to help you.

4. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

The more cars you had, the more load you put on the CPU (also on the GPU, but physics impact his heavier than graphics).

Press J. If FPS goes up by a lot, then your CPU is the bottleneck (I doubt, that's a quite good CPU).

If it doesn't go up, or by little, then it could be the GPU (more cars, more stuff to render).

If one component is bottlenecking, it will limit the others usage (why should it go 100% if the other hardware can't keep up)

5. Lare111

Lare111
    Expand Collapse

I pressed J and my FPS went up a lot so my CPU is bottlenecking when using many cars. But why I'm getting 45FPS with 60% CPU usage when my PC could get 60FPS with 100% CPU usage?

I spawned 7 different cars and one truck and got 20FPS with 80-85% CPU usage. Why isn't it 100%?

Doesn BeamNG support hyperthreading?

6. Blijo

Blijo
    Expand Collapse

How hot is your CPU?

7. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

it does.
    But. BeamNG physically cant use 100% of a CPU, the other 15-20% could easily be other windows tasks.

Otherwise your numbers are normal. BeamNG uses 1 thread per vehicle. 4 vehicles, therefore 4 threads. Your PC is 8 threads. Therefore BeamNG can physically only use 50% of the CPU with 1 vehicle.

8. Lare111

Lare111
    Expand Collapse

Around 50°C in heavy load. My cooler is SilentiumPC Fera 2 HE1224 v2.

Thanks, that explained a lot!

9. TR1PP1N

TR1PP1N
    Expand Collapse

I have an overclocked gen5 i7, and a MSI 1060 3G graphics card... I have had no issues with lag except when loading a scenario/game... which the time it takes is simply a function of the MB to load and the speed of my Hard Disk drive... sometimes when "entering" the level after the loading screen, the game may stutter while it is rendering the first 10-100 frames... after it does that, the game runs fine. It may be something to do with the amount of data needed to load the scenario/game, and map you have set up, and the speed of your HDD. All other aspects of the game such as real time rendering and FPS require your CPU, RAM, and GPU to be adequate, rather than your HDD.

If you have the time/money/motivation, considering buying a Solid State Drive of 250GB or above, installing the hardware onto your system, and then re-installing the BeamNG Drive game onto the SSD. This will significantly decrease load times and make the game run smoother.

10. Lare111

Lare111
    Expand Collapse

I already have two 250GB SSD's. Crucial BX100 and Samsung 850 EVO which I got for free when I bought my GPU ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice