"Low-quality" car for the AI

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Ulrich, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

Hello !

I don't if this possible or not, but here's a little idea I get a long time ago :
    It's a trick a lot of game compagnie use.
    Basically it's "fake cars" inspired by those who already in game.
    In big, those cars won't have any interior, no suspension (Floating wheels with fake suspension) No realistic tires, no engine, a flat bottom with only a flat texture,
    unbreakable tinted windows and welded bodyworks.
    And surelly a really simple J-beam
    The point of that is to be able to make spawn a lot of cars with less lags, I remenber the very simple car like the "Paper car", I can't remenber from who it was, but I could make turn like 20 of those cars with no lag.

So yeah, idk

• Like Like x 2
  2. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Having that defies all the point of the game.
    Simplistic physics for car is not a thing and will probably never be.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I guess, buut this won't be cars which you can drive, only "decorative" or cars for the traffic

4. Red exhaust

Red exhaust
    Expand Collapse

Could it be possible that when you hit a fake car, it gets replaced by a "real" car the instant you hit it and deforms like one. So it would create an illusion where all the fake cars look and behave like real ones. Would be useful in a lot of stuff imo, but I could very well be wrong though.

Of course, the fake cars' models are identical to real cars' ones. (maybe less poly?)

#4 Red exhaust, Oct 28, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  5. BowlerHatJack

BowlerHatJack
    Expand Collapse

I think i saw the same statement you just said get a reply of "this game simulates physic in real time. So no."IIRC

6. kStor2poche

kStor2poche
    Expand Collapse

I submit to make a 3d model, jbeam and textures mipmapping on the car at long distance that becomes morehigh poly when it comes to you and a map loading part per part (for this look at the GTA 3D series games island loading).

7. BowlerHatJack

BowlerHatJack
    Expand Collapse

8. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

3D Model != Jbeam

One this is having a 'Level of Details' on the 3D model (Cars do not have that atm).
    What OP is saying having a 'Simplier' Jbeam for the car. I don't think it's possible. There is no fake physics, what is happening on screen is all related to the Jbeam.
    You cannot 'hotswap' a Jbeam like that. Jbeams cannot have 'Level of Details'

• Like Like x 5
  9. Vinh

Vinh
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Nice idea but...this is not Driver or GTA or Need For Speed. The game's aim (at least what i think) is to simulate things correctly in real time so having that would be like using russian mods

• Like Like x 1
  10. JDMGuy

JDMGuy
    Expand Collapse

Just use the kerr, DSC toy car, busfag, or volksfagen. All of those have like no lag at all.

11. gigawert

gigawert
    Expand Collapse

Cars you weren't driving in RoR were just sitting there looking pretty but when you got near them, and the physics activated, you had to say byebye to your FPS.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

Ikr, i'm not the kink of people who believe in this kind of idea, but it was just to see what people think.
    Also not really russian mod, because they doesn't have ,for the most, custom J-beam and they aren't to FPS friendly
    And this is what i'm doing :D

13. Octothorp Obelus

Octothorp Obelus
    Expand Collapse

Nadeox1: Would it be possible to freeze physics and simulations per vehicle? If so, it could be used as an improvised LOD system, because if the player is far enough away, why bother "reactivating" the vehicle before the player gets closer in order to improve overall performance?

14. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

We discussed that internally time ago.
    The result was: NO Sleeping!!1!

If a something is frozen, it means it doesn't move at all.
    It won't help with traffic.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice