Lubuntu Linux 18.04 LTS, not quite there yet

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by fufsgfen, Jul 6, 2021.

1. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I'm not sure what is with these Linux distros, but I'm losing my fate to them.

So I decided to try LTS release of Lubuntu some time ago, installs fine an starts fast, I like how you can have proper small start menu instead of humongous horror of modern style.

But it has nothing but problems, I try install Nvidia drivers, there is additional drivers feature, you click your Nvidia driver and apply, in theory you should have working drivers installed then.
    No, it does not work, just flashes and reverts back to basic driver.
    There are several ways of installing driver, using Synaptics package manger, darn thing decideds to remove half the system files and breaks installation of whole Linux.
    Another way is using apt, it says requires package (long list) which won't be installed, that is message one gets from it.

So I try to install Wine trough synaptics package manager, these packages will be removed and list of half of the system, just for humorous value, I choose do it and obviously Linux is not starting anymore and requires reinstalling.

What about Steam then, I download Steam and try to install, requires some package which won't be installed according to message.

Okay, maybe I try Ubuntu Mate next and see if that sucks as bad, that is pretty much only other one with somewhat bareable UI and start menu, sure Knoppix too which tend to work best of them all usually (only when running Live CD) but it has other issues.

I have had some linux distro around since late 90's and they always seem to just not work, one needs to have lot of time to fix ton of issues with them, but this Lubuntu certainly has been one of the most ridiculous experiences so far, not sure if others have tested it and found it working better for them.

But when their own installer system can't install software packages on their own listing without braking whole system, that is kinda bad experience for end user.

Well, it did work fine for some months as long as I did not try to install anything to it.

E: Oh yes, another amusing part is that runlevel 3 has keyboard frozen, no caps lock light comes up, power button shuts down system and runlevel 1 just freezes whole thing, but at least shows text about recovery mode, so it kinda almost works, yet does not work at all and that all was with system still in working order.
    Now I do just reinstall of the system I guess.
    It's hilariously bad distro, can't put it other way.

#1 fufsgfen, Jul 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
  2. Jonah Parkinson

Jonah Parkinson
    Expand Collapse

These are the types of problems I've had with every Linux installs I've had on my past computers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

On a good side, they are improving, kinda, in 20.04LTS Steam is actually possible to install, although there is lot of error messages happening.

Also in Linux, Steam is hooked somewhat deep into system, where in Windows it is super easy to disable Steam service from spying you constantly, in Linux that requires quite bit more involved approach.

Edit: Another problem with Linux as whole is that there is no real practical way of limiting outgoing connections, sure one can do it, but it is hugely lot more work to do that in Windows and quite lot don't install Bini's firewall control (nowdays part of Malwarebytes) to gain one of the greates steps in improving privacy and security.

There is one project that I know of that aims to achieve that in Linux, but it has lot of issues, like system breaking issues that has lasted at least 7 years.

Maybe some day Linux will be more useful, but for me it is just a toy and great tool when used from LiveCD or whatever those are called today, sadly issues remain same as they have been for more than 20 years with it.

#3 fufsgfen, Jul 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice