Unsolved Making overlay map less shiny on color palette skins.

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by Godzilla!, May 16, 2017.

1. Godzilla!

Godzilla!
    Expand Collapse

I'm having issues with the shininess of the overlay map for a color palette skin. What I'm meaning is that the black bits and Godzilla himself from the overlay map appears too shiny on the car under any condition.
    screenshot_02448.png screenshot_02449.png screenshot_02450.png
    Note that the skin is still being worked on (moving a few bits and adding some more)

Is it possible to make the overlay map less shiny on a color palette skin? And if yes, how do you do it?

#1 Godzilla!, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
  2. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

If I understand the question correctly I've run into the same thing myself very recently. Note that while the game presents 3 color pickers (along with brightness/chrominess sliders):
    1. first picker
    2. second picker
    3. third picker
    A colorPaletteMap actually includes 4 channels:
    1. Red (multiplied by color defined in first picker and uses brightness and chrominess defined in first picker)
    2. Green (multiplied by color defined in color second picker and uses brightness and chrominess defined in second picker)
    3. Blue (multiplied by color defined in third picker and uses brightness and chrominess defined in third picker)
    4. Alpha (uses un-multiplied colors from overlayMap and an arbitrary brightness and chrominess value)
    While it's almost certainly possible to adjust those arbitrary values through the stuff defined in materials.cs (either values or additional custom maps)... for a 2 color skin this is simply not necessary. If you only want the user to adjust 2 colors you can simply put the Godzilla part of the skin into a colorPalletteMap channel.

I've attached a quick mockup of the mapping I'm suggesting. This allows the user to set the third picker to "white" and match the chrominess to the other two.

... I also don't personally know how to do it any other way, so I'll be interested if anyone else steps in and offers different/better solutions.

Attached Files:

• upload_2017-5-15_23-28-36.png
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice