Many questions about creating car

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by TheR4vas, Jul 25, 2018.

1. TheR4vas

TheR4vas
    Expand Collapse

Hello, I have a lot of questions. I did make a car with automation, did transparent windows and many other things are left to do. So (I bolded the most important ones that need to be fixed) :
    1. Detachable hood, trunk, doors, taillights and headlights.
    2. Sport ESC, I need a config for sport ESC, so if any of you have it, please drop it. upload_2018-7-26_4-25-48.png
    3. Make an exhaust and attach the mufflers, because now the mufflers are fake and fall off very easily.
    4. Make a driveshaft, because now it's just empty.
    5. Make interior
    6. Make the car more powerful on first gear, because now it slowly starts going (even with boost built up) and it starts going full speed as soon as it shifts into second gear and up (test it out yourself, I've attached the file).
    7. Make it crash more realistically.
    That's it, I attached the mod, so you can possibly detect or fix the issue, I appreciate every bit of help!

Attached Files:

#1 TheR4vas, Jul 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  2. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

That is indeed lot of questions, I start with number 1 for now as it takes quite bit of time to answer all those (hopefully someone else can pick some other number to answer).

In your wheels_front.jbeam there are these kind of lines:
    {"hubWidth":0.225000}, //Width of the rim
    {"tireWidth":0.225000}, //Width of the tire

Make those to be what width you want your tire and wheel to be and that sets physical width of the tire.

You can't see the change, but if you enable collision debug, then you can see tire is wider:
    upload_2018-7-25_23-32-30.png

On top of that same file you will have something like this:
    "flexbodies": [
    ["mesh", "[group]:", "nonFlexMaterials"],
    ["tyre_f2", ["tire_FL", "wheel_FL"], [], {"pos":{"x":0.769, "y":-1.19003, "z":0.925492}, "rot":{"x":0.0250663, "y":-1, "z":-0.000458028}, "scale":{"x":1, "y":1, "z":1}}],
    ["tyre_f2", ["tire_FR","wheel_FR"], [], {"pos":{"x":-0.769, "y":-1.19003, "z":0.925492}, "rot":{"x":-0.0250663, "y":1, "z":180}, "scale":{"x":1, "y":1, "z":1}}],
    ["wheel_f3", ["wheel_FL", "axf_L"], [], {"pos":{"x":0.723951, "y":-1.19003, "z":0.924575}, "rot":{"x":0.0250663, "y":-1, "z":-0.000458028}, "scale":{"x":1, "y":1, "z":1}}],
    ["wheel_f3", ["wheel_FR","axf_R"], [], {"pos":{"x":-0.723951, "y":-1.19003, "z":0.924575}, "rot":{"x":-0.0250663, "y":1, "z":180}, "scale":{"x":1, "y":1, "z":1}}],

This is value you need to change to make tire and wheel wider for all those four lines above:
    "scale":{"x":1, "y":1, "z":1}}],

So if you want to make twice the width it has you change that 1 to 2.

To make 285 wide, you do some math, 285 / 215 = 1.325581395348837

So that leads to "scale":{"x":1.325581395348837, "y":1, "z":1}}],

Save and reload car in BeamNG with ctrl-r and you should have your wider wheels, but that affects to brake disc and brake caliper needs to be moved/scaled too, you can do it same way though.

upload_2018-7-25_23-41-10.png

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. TheR4vas

TheR4vas
    Expand Collapse

Thank you! Also, you said you're testing how to make interiors and etc., could I contact you via discord or something else, because it would be easier and faster to talk that way?

#3 TheR4vas, Jul 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  4. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I'm sorry but I will post only to forums as that way others will benefit from answers in coming years and it might save my time a little as it is possible to reuse information in threads.

There is so much for me to do and so little time, sorry :(

I did put Covet interior to this Automation vehicle, it might be useful for you to check how it is done:
    https://www.beamng.com/resources/fufsmobile-53-turbo.4644/

There still is several aspects I need to study more to make it better, then I need to write the tutorial about it, might take some time until I'm that far as there are only so little time and there are so many distractions :p

Now of course you need to use Blender to really make interior, as you can see from my 53 turbo, that is not very perfectly fitting interior, it is just a beginnings, which needs modifying in Blender to get interior parts shaped so that it will fit properly.
    3d modeling skill are really required for that, I don't know if you know how to use Blender, but youtube has lot of tutorials on that if you need to learn to use Blender and it will be really useful to know your way around that program before proceeding to making interior and other parts.

5. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

1. You need to use Blender for that, select all faces of hood, then press P and select selection, if you don't have experience in Blender you need to find tutorial and practice a lot. Same as with interior really.

2.3.4 You need to examine how official vehicles are made, open up their jbeam file and examine nodes and beams. Exhaust for example has few nodes connected by beams, nodes are also hold place with beams, there usually is exhaust.jbeam which you can examine how those are made.

I'm not sure if driveshaft of some other vehicle would work as length is probably going to be different, but open up some official vehicle in Blender to see how it would match up.

6. camso_engine.jbeam will have camso_transmission part, there are gear ratios, you need to set 1st gear higher number to have more torque multiplication.

For most of that you probably need to read a lot of pages from this link:
    https://wiki.beamng.com/Vehicle_Creation_Megapage

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. TheR4vas

TheR4vas
    Expand Collapse

You see? It's same thing, I don't even know. The other car is for comparision, it works just fine.

7. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Try lowering torque converter size, it should be so that when holding brakes and having full throttle you should have at least 2000rpm gear at drive, if you have really low low end torque, then even more, even 4000rpm.

That is called stall speed, but it also makes gear changes and overall behavior of gearbox slower/softer so you need to find good compromise.

8. TheR4vas

TheR4vas
    Expand Collapse

Sorry, I'm such a noob, which line is torque converter? Can't seem to find.

9. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Open camso_engine.jbeam hit ctrl+f type torqueconverter, click search :D

You can find one line being "converterDiameter": which is size of the thing. 0.1 is a lot, 0.02 makes difference, smaller is more rpm and softer, bigger is less rpm and stiffer in a way.

Update: Oh yes, if you have DCT, then that will not work I believe, I'm not sure what works with that, clutch launch target rpm perhaps? Check sunburst DCT for some good baseline.

10. TheR4vas

TheR4vas
    Expand Collapse

How can I export my car to blender? Which file can I use in blender? Because when I open etk_h.dae, somehow it's just a block. upload_2018-8-5_1-2-35.png

#10 TheR4vas, Aug 5, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  11. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice