1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Map Creation Troubles

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by littlerascal584, Jan 25, 2021.

1. littlerascal584

littlerascal584
    Expand Collapse

Hello to the Beamng.Drive community,

I have a question about the new world editor (World Editor 2.0) that is not talked about at all in the revised Beamng Documentation (If you don't know what I am talking about go to wiki, click link for new wiki, click world editor link).

The first problem I have is with the new texture painter. I used Utah as a base for my map as it is a desert setting and had most of what I needed. After renaming all files to load the map into the game. The painter itself works just fine but the issue is when I try and add a material that is not originally from the "terrains" folder from the map. For example, when I copied and renamed the materials from other official maps like the "Derby Arena, "Small Island USA," and the "Automation Test Track." The materials already in the map were given the "NO TEXTURE" texture and within 30 to 40 seconds, the game would crash due to the game exceeding the RAM of my desktop (never thought I would have that happen).

I do realize that the issue above could be from improper placement of where I put the renamed files. If so, how can I avoid this in the future and be able to possible keep myself sane during my freshman year of college while hopefully begin a map for many other to enjoy when finished?

Thank you,

littlerascal584 (Retr0bits)

2. ltntai

ltntai
    Expand Collapse

I wrote this some time ago, now it works also in the new editor: https://www.beamng.com/threads/importing-textures-into-maps.74331/#post-1238784
    If you want to import terrain materials with ground cover, you need also the right stuff from art/shapes/groundcover and then recreate them in the editor: https://documentation.beamng.com/editors/legacy/groundcover/groundcover.html
    It's similar in the new editor, except the billboardUV picker is an idiotic slider and the process is very prone to crash or freeze. The level must be reloaded now and then to activate changes.
    screenshot_2021-01-26_21-22-17.jpg screenshot_2021-01-26_21-07-07.jpg
    For practice I imported East Coast forest terrain with two types of green ferns to Utah.

Edit. That "recreating groundcover in editor" was stupid advice. You can copy the lines you need from the original map's main/MissionGroup/Level_object/vegetation/items.level.json

#2 ltntai, Jan 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  3. littlerascal584

littlerascal584
    Expand Collapse

That is actually somewhat helpful, I will take a look into it when I have the time as college is so demanding of it right now. Hopefully I will be able to try and restart since I screwed up Utah in the process (which is now fixed).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice