1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Material Deformation

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by DarthCain, Feb 26, 2013.

1. DarthCain

DarthCain
    Expand Collapse

Ok, so I'm not 100% sure this is the right spot to ask this, but I'll try it here, as I don't believe it has been answered but I could be wrong.

I was wondering if it was possible to recreate the realistic deformation of body parts made out of materials other than metal, i.e. fiberglass actually breaking rather than bending and flexing like a metal part?

2. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

with deflating tyres that rip apart, yes. Its possible to simulate other more brittle materials.

3. tuningfreak1

tuningfreak1
    Expand Collapse

i think theoretical its possible, but we havent heard anything from the dev team that it will be implimented into the game.

4. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Well yes, in theory, you can simulate other materials. I do believe that if the coding allowed for it, you can simulate things like liquids and cross winds, as well as having things like the dashboard breaking under extreme loads.

5. DarthCain

DarthCain
    Expand Collapse

Um, I'm not exactly sure how tires deforming has to do with what I'm talking about. When I mean simulating fiberglass I'm talking about larger parts of truck, like the whole front ends. A lot of different class 7-8 trucks have front ends that are completely made out of fiberglass.

Attached Files:

• 17742_640_480_p2189572.jpg
    • DSC00252_8-18.JPG
  6. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

The point with the tyres being ripped apart is that BeamNG seems to be able to handle materials being divided up. So if we can do it for a rubber tyre its not that much of a stretch to apply it to other, more brittle things. Fiberglass and plastics snapping doesn't sound out of the question anymore. I believe it may be possible for the developers to do it.

#6 Hati, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  7. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

Yes, the pigeon will.

8. tuningfreak1

tuningfreak1
    Expand Collapse

also sports cars and some other cars like the reliant robin have fiber glass bodys.

and there is no official information from the devs about other materials.
    they said that the tire can be ripped apart but they didnt say how. i doubt it will be dynamic. it can also be a pre simulatet /animated tire ripping appart thing.

sorry for my bad english i hope you get what i mean.

9. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

No, fiberglass, pastic and glass etc will be realistic as will tires. Gabester said so in the pigeon thread.

10. DanniBee

DanniBee
    Expand Collapse

Also tdev said that the D15 can be ripped in half, which would involve shearing metal. so brittle-ish materials can be done in this engine.

11. tuningfreak1

tuningfreak1
    Expand Collapse

i dont belive it until i see it in a video or atleast a screenshot.
    he said "it might be possible" but i dont realy think it will be ingame.

#11 tuningfreak1, Feb 26, 2013
  12. DanniBee

DanniBee
    Expand Collapse

"No, the parts are not predefined, and yes, you can cut the truck in half."

This doesn't confirm it then?

#12 DanniBee, Feb 26, 2013
  13. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

There, now stop. We don't need people like this that just want attention.

14. tuningfreak1

tuningfreak1
    Expand Collapse

sorry i havent read this "No, the parts are not predefined, and yes, you can cut the truck in half."

but what gabester said here: We do support flexbody meshes breaking apart as beams break, so it might be possible to have it rip apart.

Since it has a separate bed, it should be pretty easy to make other modules to mount on the rear of the frame, like a flatbed or enclosed van

he said it might be possible, so as far as i understand it, it was only possible in theory.

i still want a proof i form of an screenshot or video :)

sorry if i missunderstood something

15. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

Yes, it has been confirmed by a developer. hell, tdev somewhere can be quoted as saying we can rip vehicles in half and as for tyres, they do appear to be more dynamic in their capacity to be destroyed. GettingTyred.png

compare that image to others on the forum. you can go from missing sections of the tyre to exposing the whole rim.

#15 Hati, Feb 26, 2013
  16. DanniBee

DanniBee
    Expand Collapse

Wow, I haven't seen that screenshot before, the damage is already looking great!

17. tuningfreak1

tuningfreak1
    Expand Collapse

i do aslo havent seen this picture.
    yeah tire seems like its missing parts. but the damaged front doesnt look like it could be teared. its very stretched. like in ror.

18. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

no, the screenshot part of an image Gabe sent me, its just a clear example of the dynamic nature of the tyre shredding. Listen, and read carefully. The tyre is a node/beam structure that is able to be ripped apart dynamically.

look at this blog
    http://www.beamng.com/entries/30-The-new-wheel-and-tire-model

Ok, now. The bumper of the Civetta Bolide is also a node/beam structure and the code that allows the tyres to be ripped up dynamically could conceivably be used to allow the body panels to be ripped apart. I haven't said its been implemented, I said it isn't too much of a stretch of the imagination to say that it could happen because BeamNG have implemented the feature for use on tyres already.

19. tuningfreak1

tuningfreak1
    Expand Collapse

thanks for the extra explanation. now i know everything i wanted to. :)
    and it sounds GREAT :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice