1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Max current terrain size? Tiled terrain support when?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by bob.blunderton, Dec 4, 2018.

1. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

What's the max current terrain size allowed? I believe Pikes Peak user map mod, has 8192 x 8192 terrain, if so, that would mean that's officially supported, but what if I used 16384x16384 ? Boom?

Would also like to know what the status on tiled terrain support is, and if it's (likely) not done yet, when is that on the road-map for (it is on there)? I'd really love to use tiled terrain.

Just purchased World Machine 2 and did a test-build of an 8192 x 8192 terrain, to see how it performed, so just curiosity is getting the best of me here and I'd like to know, to better move forward with my projects.

Thanks ahead of time, for your time.

2. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

8192 as heightmap resolution is the usable limit AFAIK.
    It already stress the .TER file compression causing big files even on a flat surface (had that happening on my latest level mod)
    Anything above could either end up in the game hanging up, or crazy high memory requirements.

Tiled terrains are not in the plans at the moment, as we don't have use for them right now.
    Cannot promise whether it will be a thing for later.

3. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I think there is a missing word, which might be crucial piece of information?

I remember Ewanc had issue where decal road was not smooth, but there was very slight unevenness kinda like washboard effect, maybe that?
    --- Post updated ---
    Oh and at WCUSA there is terrain and then mesh for surrounding areas, it is perfectly possible to drive on surrounding area too. You would need to make texturing to it different way though and I'm not sure if it could have more than 1 groundmodel, but splitting it up by ground model needs might work for bigger terrains?

WCUSA and Automation track has terrain and then surrounding mountains etc. as a mesh, which makes them appear bigger, so you might cleverly utilize terrain area and have surrounding area as a decoration so that it appears to be bigger than it is.

Or have airfield for example on such mesh extension.

Via cleverness one can achieve bigger than by making it real, little magician tricks are not cheating :)

4. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Okay, then 8192 squared it is then! That'll double the resolution of Roane County's terrain in each direction, giving a total of four times the amount of resolution per meter, same for Los Injurus.

I only mention Tiled Terrain support as it's on the road map for the game (or it was, for the longest time if the case of it recently being taken off). You can have more than one terrain currently but the thing is, the new ones won't have collision. I'd be willing to fork over some bribes for that feature, if push comes to shove and I need it here. I can live without it for now, though, I know you guys are working over there like an enraged fire-ant colony right now, and I wish not to make a fuss and get nibbled. Try to have some time for your holiday in all this!

That is all - thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice