Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by holographicdreams, May 26, 2017.

1. holographicdreams

holographicdreams
    Expand Collapse

Well, post pictures of your mechanical keyboards and discuss them here.
    I ordered a Mechanical-Eagle Z-77 and it's supposed to arrive next Monday
    I'll post pictures of it as soon as it's possible.

2. holographicdreams

holographicdreams
    Expand Collapse

hmm, looks like nobody cares

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Coolermaster Quickfire TK with Cherry MX browns
    Dell AT102W with Alps complicated blacks
    UK40R1 with Cherry MX clears (currently the only ISO 40% keyboard around and one of just 10 made (one of 4 known to be assembled) though it also supports ANSI)

At work I use an older Ducky One with blue LED backlight and Cherry MX browns. Project in spare time I am also working towards designing a custom 75% layout PCB.
    --- Post updated ---
    IMG_20170531_200544.jpg IMG_20170531_200551.jpg IMG_20170531_200603.jpg
    --- Post updated ---
    I was also going to upgrade the AT102W innards but I havent yet, the thing ghosts horrifically so i might need to go full custom pcb in it really.

4. FS16

FS16
    Expand Collapse

I dont have one myself bc theyre too expensive, but I tried one at a friends house and I loved it. Idk, I might save up and get one...
    Can anyone recommend me one that isnt too expensive but still has a nice typing experience?

5. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Depends on what you're after. Biggest thing, are you looking towards this as an enthusiast or just a consumer that likes nice things

6. FS16

FS16
    Expand Collapse

Id say Im rather on the enthusiast side

7. supra4life

supra4life
    Expand Collapse

Ima get some pictures of mine hang on

8. psy_lo

psy_lo
    Expand Collapse

A logitech G910 Orion Spark ==>> ...still the world's fastest RGB Mechanical gaming keyboard :cool:

I'm fully happy with this keyboard! Normal...seeing the price!?! ...On this time I'm lucky, I receive this keyboard as a gift from a friend for my birthday!

#8 psy_lo, May 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  9. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

save up then, anything you'll get on budget don't satisfy

10. FS16

FS16
    Expand Collapse

Hm, ok. Any recommendations without budget in mind?

11. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

No budget? Korean customs :p expect to pay a few hundred for little discernable reason.

Ducky boards are alright for you as a beginner, they're standard layouts.
    The Corsair and a few cooler master boards are to be avoided, they're fucking lovely but as enthusiast boards, they actually aren't standard layouts with standard keycaps so if you end up wanting to replace them in future, you can't. Space bar and right shift are both regular problematic items for Corsair and certain coolermasters. Mine for example as a 6.5u space bar, aftermarket keycaps are often 6u, 6.25u or 7u (often get all 3 in one set), 6.5 isn't a size available.

On a budget. You can get the magicforce boards. I think it uses all standard keycaps, standard plate is a little thin though i think I know a guy with cad files for an upgraded one you could get laser cut. It also uses cherry MX clones rather than legit switches, they aren't as nice but if you wanted to spend more in future and bust out a soldering iron you can replace them, which at least gives you your choice of switch.

As you asked about typing experience. Avoid the Logitech from above like the plague, avoid the steel series keyboards, avoid cherry MX red, black, speed red, silver's or speed black or any other switch that describes itself as being linear. Linear switches can be great for button mashers but are nasty for a typist. They don't have any sort of distinguishable bump or click when they trigger, they're very much like pulling the trigger on an Xbox controller, just smooth entire way top to bottom. On cherry reds as the common reference, all cherry switches travel 4mm top to bottom, the reds trigger at I think 1.8mm. there's nothing you can feel to distinguish that it's actually triggered. Leaves them feeling horrid and mushier than a cheap rubber dome membrane keyboard, only thing going for them is at least being in a nicer housing than a cheap keyboard. The Logitech ones are even worse, they're lighter to press and actuate even faster, knock a key and it types basically, horrid experience with that, it's also not Keycap compatible so there's another reason to not get one.

I prefer tactile switches like my Alps complicated Black's, mx clear and mx brown.

12. FS16

FS16
    Expand Collapse

Wow, thanks! Sorry for the late reply, I forgot about it :|
    I am not planning on replacing any keycaps, so custom layout isnt a concern for me, but Ill keep it in mind. Who knows, maybe one day I will...
    As for the switches, I recently tried out a few keyboards at a store, and I couldnt agree more with what you said about linear switches. MX browns however feel awesome, I think Ill save up for one with them.

13. holographicdreams

holographicdreams
    Expand Collapse

sorry for the terrible audio quality, there's a home renovation next door
    take a look at some of the amazon keyboards. you won't be getting rgb below 60 ish dollars cad.

Attached Files:

14. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

DSC_1026.jpg

Unicomp model M clone, Very nice tactile and sturdy feel and a pleasure to type on.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice