Migrate to windows 10 from windows 7 without losing files.

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Ulrich, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

Hello !

As some of you may know i'm running under an "Unofficial" version of Windows 7, when I origininally bought my computer I didn't have the money for buying Windows.

What I'd like to do is buy an official Windows 10 key and put it on my computer, but I don't want to loose everything on my computer (Around 300go).

So is it possible to just "Update" Windows 7, and especially since it's not an official version ?

Thanks for your help !

2. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

If you buy full retail, then it is at least, but you might find official Win 7 version too, Windows 10 is quite horrible compared to 7 or even to 8.1.

When they forced Win 10 to people's computers, it did not matter if it was official version or not, they wanted to everyone under their paws, I doubt that has changed, you just have to buy Win 10 now.

3. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

Yeah but can I install Windows 10 without losing my stuff ? If windows 10 is really that awfull I might just go a head and find another "Not really official" version. Yeah if not i'll just buy a Windows 7 key, but again, can I keep my stuff while installing the "official" version?

They are also those 10€ keys http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Activation-W...352056?hash=item25cb0c0338:g:hQcAAOSwax5YnOqf
    Which are probably fake.

4. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

You probably have a backup drive or something (I have laptop HDD drives which I use for test installations etc), you could use Clonezilla to mage image of current system, then use this http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO to test install before buying, that would allow few days using without product key.

When installing just click "I don't have a product key".

Clonezilla lives here http://clonezilla.org/ YT probably has tutorials.

I know that from Windows 8 it goes to Windows 10 without loosing anything, but your mileage might vary, there are cases where it has failed, so make image before trying and you are safe.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, I'll try that later !

6. lyndon123

lyndon123
    Expand Collapse

rather than buying a windows 10 key i would use this for the time being
    VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
    it works to a basic standard, this is the default key for windows 10 pro.
    i have had a virtualbox using this key for some time and it has not let me down
    also the cheap keys on ebay usually work too. to make them legal they come with a free faulty mobo and they are from old school computers i believe
    --- Post updated ---
    u be wrong they do work and to make them legal they come with a mobo to keep microsoft quiet

7. KKG Clan

KKG Clan
    Expand Collapse

Migrate to Insider Fast for an extra handful of features including game optimization, it isn't that bad after all

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice