1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Mod support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tdev, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

What awesome devs.:cool:

2. Mythbuster

Mythbuster
    Expand Collapse

I was kinda angry when I first wrote it but then I reprhased my entire post because I thought "Why the hell am I even using this tone? There's absolutely no reason fo rme to write like a dipstick like this" lol, I kinda felt bad about it and realised even after rephrasing, it sitll sounded way angrier than I ment it...

Also, about your voting idea: I think the "Russian mod" option would actually be a great concept, since it would actually slowly stop the interest people have in trying out those mods, which is the only reason they're still being made. Of course it would need to be somewhat rephrased to be more professional coming from the BeamNG team... Perhaps the button could say something like "Simple mesh-swap on existing skeleton"?

I was thinking maybe there should be a 5-star voting system on how good the mod is, but then I thought, actually that would probably not work too well, because many of the kids here will upvote a Nissan GTR that's slapped onto a Grand Marshal n/b but downvote an incredibly well made Reliant Robin simply because they prefer a GTR over a Robin Reliant. Maybe just having an upvote system(but no downvote, just like on Facebook) system would work better in that regard? But even then I think a button for "simple mesh-swap" would work better than that :)

3. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

an "effort and quality" rating would be good, but only as long as a limited number of members can rate them. The developers obviously, then people who create high quality mods automatically get to stamp a rating on it, Finally general users who aren't ignorant about what makes a good quality mod. If the goal is to have a trusted rating system, it's best that only those who you can trust get to rate. Rather than a free and open rating system, an invite only rating system would be good.

you can have the free and open ratings just below it.

4. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Or..we could have the game crash everytime (crappyrussianmodsitehere.ru) is entered into a vehicle name, after all they enter thier name to the title for every vehicle they release/re-release and its not something that a normal user would ever be able to accidentally enter.

Ok thats maybe a little evil, but it would be fun :D

5. Straubz

Straubz
    Expand Collapse

Only way i see it possibly working, is by having the voting blocked until you have reached 'x' amount of posts on the forum AND have to leave a short review of the mod like the on RoR repo.

I received a few 1 star ratings on RoR for some stupid reasons from people with no respect:(

6. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

There's a problem with your postcount solution: There are a number of people on this forum with mouths too big for their own good, and also a number of genuinely helpful and knowledgeable people with very few posts. No comment on which group I belong to ;)

Personally, I believe Hati's suggestion to invite a group of trusted members to evaluate each mod is the best; you don't have kids running rampant on Russian McLarens and (hopefully) very little bias.

7. Straubz

Straubz
    Expand Collapse

I did see lots of problems with my suggestion but its impossible to make a perfect rating system, and you obviously belong to the Aussie group:cool:

8. MOHAAPlayer

MOHAAPlayer
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, it is hard to make it perfect, I like the invited group option and I belong to the New Zealand group!

9. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

So, whats inside 0.4.0.5 is a start at least. Its far from perfect, and we will improve it as we go. If you have any problems with it or want some specific things in there, please let us know here :)

10. Nethaufer

Nethaufer
    Expand Collapse

When are you going to make it so that the game doesn't shove all my levels away into the backup folder whenever I launch it after an update?

11. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

That only happens if you put the levels in the content folder in the game directory, a thing you shouldnt have been doing for the last 6 months.
    They go in the mods folder in your documents.

12. Nethaufer

Nethaufer
    Expand Collapse

I shall rectify that now. Thank you.

13. Peleke

Peleke
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for your work but what about a Steamworks solution?

14. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

repo will come, not ready yet, stay tuned.

15. g0tsl33p14

g0tsl33p14
    Expand Collapse

For the win, also less fear when downloading mods. (fear, wot?, I know)

16. Wildcat24

Wildcat24
    Expand Collapse

i would almost rather a steam workshop for the mods, that would be cool.

17. AdR

AdR
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

I've just tried my Prelude in a zip file, wich only has the "PreludeSN" folder inside. Dropped it into the mods folder and works perfect! even shows up in the new mod selector, no need to make one folder inside each other anymore.

It also reads the non-zipped folder properly, only that it doesn't shows up in the mods list.

Finally, now it's really simple to just zip a car and drop it in the mods folder. Way to go! ;)

18. TheNodeMaster

TheNodeMaster
    Expand Collapse

The layout reminds me of Nexus Mod Manager. So a big yes please from me

19. Atomix

Atomix
    Expand Collapse

Less on topic of the mods tab than on the actual mods support, I as a modder think that it would be really useful to be able toturn on/off the color selector on vehicles when it is not supposed to be on. Default on, it would be specified in the main .jbeam, .json or materials.cs file that the vehicle does not show up with a color selector in-game, which will prevent people from asking "i can't change color help" while you can't, for instance if a 3rd party mod has a racing livery on a car, and changing the diffuse color is out of question.
    As far as i know props as a class already have the color selector disabled, but i don't know of a way to disable it for vehicles class, if already is possible please tell.

Would be really useful in my opinion, and should not be too hard to implement.

20. #'VeTeraN -/x

#'VeTeraN -/x
    Expand Collapse

Hello im new to the BeamNG community and i wanted to ask : How do I install mods with the Mod Support ? before the 0.4.0.5 update i had a lot a mods and now they are gone and I dont know how to re-install them would be nice if someone answer ! Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice