Modding of GTAV declared illegal

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Logi_Veloce, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Logi_Veloce

Logi_Veloce
    Expand Collapse

gtavmoddingillegal.png

So, today, Take Two Interactive declared any modification two GTAV's game files an illegal and punishable offence. The picture above is of the developer of OpenIV (a hugely popular software that allows GTAV's game files to be opened and edited, replaced, etc.) describing that he was sent a cease and desist letter by Take Two Interactive. I find this pretty bizarre, seeing how GTA games have been modded since who knows when, and no legal action has been taken. This will hurt a lot of people seeing as people dedicate many hours developing mods like LSPDFR, RAGE, and other codes and scripts. Not only that, but the youtubers that base their content around GTAV mods will also be effected. I know this doesn't really affect BeamNG or really anyone here but I thought it is kind of important gaming news and some people might be interested in talking about it.

• Informative Informative x 5
  2. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

RIP ASP Patrols... :(

I know this is solely because people are using trainers instead of buying C*'s scam cards.

RIP LCPDFR, Code Zero, pretty much everything I liked about GTA.

3. Car8john

Car8john
    Expand Collapse

Damn, there goes my idea for more planes...

4. Logi_Veloce

Logi_Veloce
    Expand Collapse

yeah it is really unfortunate. I don't understand why they have to put adding a lamborghini into the singleplayer campaign on the same pedestal of people buying trainers for online and wrecking sh*t...

5. crashmaster

crashmaster
    Expand Collapse

oh no. that really sucks.
    this was a massive selling point for gta v. but why do they give a f*. its still selling like hot bread years after releasing even at full price. they already banked on this game so they dont give a sh*t.
    lets hope these greedy f* at take 2 somehow changes their mind one day. modding will not stop even if they try tho. that i can assure you.

Modding was actually the only way i played gta. i dont play online and prefer single player with a ton of mods. i guess im uninstalling and saying goodbye.

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. Logi_Veloce

Logi_Veloce
    Expand Collapse

I bet the modding will continue in full force, but I fear for the developer of the software because of the cease and desist letter. He has no real way of controlling people into not modding the game using his software and more legal action will probably be taken.

7. B727ClassicFlyer

B727ClassicFlyer
    Expand Collapse

Modding has been the mainstay of the GTA series, and has since been since GTA III, and so...until Take Two Interactive changes their mind, we have entered the darkest days of modding as a whole.

Even if one of us tries to persuade TTI to reverse this, they probably won't, so we may need a whole squad of people of persuade TTI to reverse this god-awful thing...which is a shitstorm much more worse than the infamous "Hot Coffee" mod for GTA:SA.

8. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

Does this mean that whatever federal employee who goes against this will run for president?

Hillary Clinton was the head of the investigation on the "Hot Coffee" Mod. Not trying to be political, but it's true. Look it up.

#8 EruptionTyphlosion, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  9. Modem

Modem
    Expand Collapse

"so... why are you in?"
    "i killed a man and his girlfriend after she cheated on me"
    "damn thats rough!"
    "what about you?"
    "oh i modded gta V"

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. opkraut

opkraut
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

It should be fun watching the backlash. Rockstar hasn't done something this stupid in a long time. Hopefully this knocks them off their high-horse

• Agree Agree x 9
  11. Danny Werewolf

Danny Werewolf
    Expand Collapse

One question: Does this technically count for FiveReborn?

You would think so, since the creators of the mod had to edit ingame files, but it is technically a totally new system, I think just like how ETS2 MP works. It's a totally new system and scripts that work with the original game.

12. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

Most recent was in 2013, which was considering GTA V a game worthy of a number.
    --- Post updated ---

Probably. They've filed suits against the Fivereborn devs before.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Srockzz

Srockzz
    Expand Collapse

Well, Im going to go full tinfoil head here BUT:
    Rockstar doesnt want you to be unable to go into GTA Online. Why? Money. Shark Cards. The recent pattern in terms of pricing for DLC cars proves it. So if you wont play nicely and follow Take Two rules, you get a cease and desist letter. Why? Because fuck you. we dont want you to not pay for shark card. We didnt make GTA online a Pay-To-Win free to play because the president (or whoever was this guy that left rockstart when he was on vacation) didnt let us.
    Now back on normal:
    Take Two doesnt notice the error they are commiting here. In no way mods affect the copyright of the game in terms of distribution. It even makes a game more sale-able. This is a big Fuck You to the community. Open IV is staying in my computer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Danny Werewolf

Danny Werewolf
    Expand Collapse

Is it just me or will Rockstar notice the decline of sales and money after this, and possibly get mad at Take Two.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Logi_Veloce

Logi_Veloce
    Expand Collapse

no matter what, there will always be an influx of twelve-year-olds using their mom's credit card to buy insane amounts of shark cards..

• Agree Agree x 5
  16. Justy4WDTURBO

Justy4WDTURBO
    Expand Collapse

#16 Justy4WDTURBO, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  17. Danny Werewolf

Danny Werewolf
    Expand Collapse

No, I just watch a lot of D.O.J and Bay Area Buggs (AKA LSPDFR MP.)

18. Justy4WDTURBO

Justy4WDTURBO
    Expand Collapse

Nevermind.

#18 Justy4WDTURBO, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  19. Logi_Veloce

Logi_Veloce
    Expand Collapse

Bay Area Buggs and the other Code Zero Gaming guys will be screwed because 9/10 of their content is 5M and LSPDFR

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

They can go back to SAPDFR GTA ONLINE.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice