Outdated More Features Mod 12.0 - BeamNG.drive 0.11.0.x

Discussion in 'Mods and Skins' started by StinchinStein, Dec 19, 2015.

1. randomshortguy

randomshortguy
    Expand Collapse

Cool mod! Downloading tonight.

Regarding the no-clutch shift: yes, you can technically change gears without depressing the clutch. However, you need to be rev-matching almost perfectly and pushing almost no torque through the drive train.

• Like Like x 1
  2. tomcat5

tomcat5
    Expand Collapse

Remember that you can shift a manual transmission vehicle without the clutch if you're at the right RPMs. It's called clutchless shifting or more commonly "floating" gears. Most American tractor trailers don't have synchronized transmissions so they can only float gears. However, you can do it in any car if you're good enough. As much as I dislike the current way to flail the H shifter and have it shift gears flawlessly at any RPM, I would hate if in the final game gears can't be floated.

However, most of us don't drive tractors all the time in Beam. So here's a description of what the mod should do. If you repeatedly try to float at the wrong RPM range, or if you don't get most of the way on the clutch while shifting, a short grinding noise should occur as your synchronizers absorb the stress. If this is repeated many times, I'd say a decent simulation is that it would take a few tries to get into gear, as you move the shifter, then grinding noises occur and you stay in neutral, and you have to take the shifter out of gear and put it back in while using the clutch a few times in order to actually engage the gear. If you still continually to screw up, eventually that specific gear is unable to be used. However, in the period where the synchronizers are worn, you should be able to get in by floating properly, something lots of people do for a month before they can rebuild their transmission.

Less constructively, I have a silly stupid request you're free to ignore. But any way to disable stalling on specific vehicles? It doesn't play well with electric vehicle mods, for obvious reasons. Not anyone's fault, just a consequence of the interactions between the two mods.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jorlman

Jorlman
    Expand Collapse

As randomshortguy said, yes, it is possible to shift without pressing the clutch if you're matching revs, but that's a small window and even then it would fuck up your synchros. It's easier to do that when downshifting.

Most sim racing games go around this making you go into neutral if you put the shifter in another gear without disengaging the clutch, and adding damage to your transmission until you put the shifter back to neutral and repeat the process correctly.

Games like AC and PC actually let you shift gears without clutch if you rev match. I discovered it in AC and tought I forgot to remove clutch assist, but a quick test (resulting in that awful transmission damage sound AC has) proved otherwise.

As for this mod, I'll be happy if you just implement the "gear will not engage if you don't press clutch". I don't think there's much you can do until the devs add an actual transmission system (or maybe there already is and I didn't know!)

EDIT: I ALWAYS GET NINJA'D GODDAMMIT

• Like Like x 1
  4. StinchinStein

StinchinStein
    Expand Collapse

This will be what ends up happening at first (as this is what I was leaning towards to begin with).
    I'll release 7.2 later (hopefully) with the new test clutch system, it will be disabled by default, need major feedback on how it works and all that, and once it's all good, I'll enable it by default in the main update.

More information on how to enable it when I release the update!

Quick....Geez I never noticed how quick I am to do things..

7.2 is now available

Features:
    • Re-added bump starts! (no longer uses brake when doing it, just uses the engine now)
    • Added better clutch system (disabled at the moment, below shows how to enable it)
    • Added better engine on/off system
    • Fixed turbo not working after engine stops/starts
    • Fixed check engine light showing when engine is off
    To enable the test clutch system:
    1) Unpack the ZIP file which contains the mod
    2) Find "sound_enhance.lua" in the lua/vehicle/" folder
    3) Go to line 158, and change "newShiftingEnabled" to true instead of false.
    4) It's ready!

Download in ORIGINAL POST

#84 StinchinStein, Apr 21, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Jorlman

Jorlman
    Expand Collapse

Oh boy that's great, but do you ever take a rest??

And I just noticed a very small, silly thing: the handbrake raking sounds when you put it down, when it actually should only sound when you put it up. Is it what you meant when you mentioned the bug that "the parking brake sounds twice"? or were you talking about the video where the sound actually played twice sometimes?

Not that I care much about that, since as I said I got my own usb diy handbrake that makes all the fancy sounds for me, hah

Anyways, you're doing an amazing work

EDIT FFS I GOT NINJA'D BY AN UPDATE I LITERALLY TYPE SLOWER THAN YOU PUT UP UPDATES

EDIT 2: OK, there's something wrong with the new shifting. It doesn't let me shift with the H-shifter, and just sometimes lets me shift with the "up shift" and "down shift" buttons. Sometimes it shifts but then inmediately shifts back to the previous gear. I try to do all of this fully pressing clutch and in "Manual" mode. Am I doing something wrong?

#85 Jorlman, Apr 21, 2016
  6. StinchinStein

StinchinStein
    Expand Collapse

No. xD, only when I get bored of modding it.

It was indeed the bug in the video, but I will see what I can do to make it only play when you engage it.

EDIT:
    Probably not, like I said, totally testing this. I don't have an H-shifter so it will be a bit tricky to debug this issue, but I might be able to pull it off.. The vehicle only downshifts when you reach the "downshift rpm" (which is what it is for automatics) I can disable that if it doesn't work realistically. As for the up-shift. I believe it is a bit broken, will see what I can do with that as well.

If all else fails, I'll just keep it the way it's been to begin with xD

EDIT 2: I might know the problem with the H-shifter... Stand by :)

EDIT 3:
    beta 2 fixes (new shift mode enabled by default in this one):
    • Hopefully H-shifter problem (but who knows..)
    • Fixed parking brake engage sound playing when disengaging

Attached Files:

#86 StinchinStein, Apr 21, 2016
  7. Jorlman

Jorlman
    Expand Collapse

Damn you're fast.

Ok, tested it, here's the feedback:

The H-Shifter works now! But one little detail: when mis-shifting, it should not stay in the same gear it was, but go into neutral.
    What I've seen is that the script "detects" when I'm changing gear to neutral, and it activates; it should actually let me disengage the gear without pressing the clutch and let it go into N, the code should activate its "block" when I tried to go INTO a gear without the clutch engaged.

Example: I'm in 2nd gear. I'm not pressing the clutch. I move the gear from second to third. As I do this, the natural movement of the stick would make it pass through neutral, and then into 3rd.
    The code should let me go into neutral, so the gear would change into N. But, as the stick goes from N into 3rd without clutch, THEN the block activates and leave it in N.

TL;DR: you can actually move your stick FROM a gear without clutch (into neutral), the problem comes when you try go TO a gear.

Other than that, I'm impressed with how you are sorting all this out.

Also, I noticed gear shifting sound! It sounds like the blinker sound, but I guess that's a placeholder. I've been thinking. I've got a good recorder for my videos, and a car. If you want, tomorrow I could record some real gear shifting and e-brake, clean the audio a bit and put them here so you can use it with your mod? What the hell I could even abuse it a little and give you some genuine gear-grinding sound if I feel courageous enough.

• Like Like x 1
  8. StinchinStein

StinchinStein
    Expand Collapse

Okay, I'll see what I can do with this.

Yes.. Funny thing is that the "gear shifting sound" is actually an official sound that isn't currently used. it's meant to be a shift sound, but I used it for blinkers cause it sounds like... well.. you know..

it would be better if I got better sounds, but do what you want, all up to you :)

9. Chat's7

Chat's7
    Expand Collapse

Hi !

Your mod is awesome ! Thanks à lot ! :)

In future you should add the feature of shifting up/down gear without clutch when engine is off ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jorlman

Jorlman
    Expand Collapse

I'm actually cleaning and mixing a bunch of youtube videos with people grinding gears, I can upload a looped file if you want, what format would you need it to be?

Also!

He's actually right. While sometimes it needs a little bit more of pressure to engage a gear without clutch when the engine is off, it is certainly possible and as far as I know, would cause virtually no damage.

11. Chat's7

Chat's7
    Expand Collapse

But i've a problem, when i try to shift up/down without clutch, there no grind sound, just a clicking sound and gear never change. I must clutch to change gear :(

12. StinchinStein

StinchinStein
    Expand Collapse

MP3 is fine, I can convert it, or you can just convert it to OGG to begin with xD

Ok :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jorlman

Jorlman
    Expand Collapse

Ok, let's see if this works.

It has a little bit of these two:

EDIT: Updated it a bit to sound more aggresive, I noticed it was too tame

Attached Files:

#93 Jorlman, Apr 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  14. StinchinStein

StinchinStein
    Expand Collapse

beta 3:
    • Includes new gear grinding sound
    • Vehicle can shift when engine is off
    • Tweaked clutch mechanism to allow shifting from Any gear to N without using clutch (this is you meant, @Jorlman, right? xD)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Chat's7

Chat's7
    Expand Collapse

Sound work fine now ^^

But grinding sound is a little bit to high, and when we try to shift lot of time, sound is play many time and again more high.

You could add that the intensity of the sound played depends of the engine speed ? :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jorlman

Jorlman
    Expand Collapse

I'm at a loss of words. This is simply amazing.

I'm a bit sleepy at the time, but as for now, the only thing that I've noticed is that you can shift as long as the clutch is just 1% deppressed (if you're using an analog axis for the clutch)

In real life (and actually in beamng too) every car has its "bite point", located around 60-80% of the clutch pedal travel. If you activate the UI App that shows you the pedal axis percentage, you'll see that if you start from a stationary position, first gear and 100% clutch, you can sloowwly release the clutch and around that 80-60 the car will start moving (the exact point is more apparent in a ramp). You shouldn't be able to properly shift gear if you are not pressing the clutch at least that much... I think 60%-70% would be a safe percentage for all the cars in beamng (maybe there's an actual number hidden among the core files, I don't know)

But anyways... I can't believe how much this mod has advanced IN A DAY. As I said, this is just amazing. Tomorrow you will have your gear shifting sounds, and everything I can record. Thank you for this mod.

EDIT: ninja'd as usual but the previous poster was right, if there's some way to adjust the pitch of the grinding sound relative to the rpm that would be a neat little touch. Maybe apply that to the reverse gear whine too (?) Don't know if that's possible in the current build.

• Like Like x 1
  17. StinchinStein

StinchinStein
    Expand Collapse

Reverse gear whine pitch changes with the wheel speed somewhat, I'll try and make the pitch change more.

G'night ;)

EDIT:
    Final update for later tonight (I'm in the Eastern Standard Time) will include a config lua file for every feature.
    With a couple of bug fixes :)

#97 StinchinStein, Apr 22, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Jorlman

Jorlman
    Expand Collapse

G'night man.

And one last thing before I go to bed: I noticed that now you can bump-start by just having the clutch pressed 100% and going to a certain speed. I've never bump-started a car, but at the driving school they told me that it starts by going to a certain speed and releasing the clutch (to the previously mentioned bite point, by the way!) so it engages the transmission and starts the car.
    I think here it's explained better:
    http://www.accidentrepairfinder.com/how-to-bump-start-a-car/

And a video to boot!

Also, for some reason at driving school they taugh us to put second gear instead of first to do the jump start... but I guess that was because of engine retention and to ease things up for the driver, the guys pushing, and the transmission (less of a jump when the clutch engages)

I actually have very little idea about jump starts so if someone knows better than me please correct me.

Keep up the great work!

• Like Like x 1
  19. wearyNATE15

wearyNATE15
    Expand Collapse

Is it possible to make the download a click to install, like most others? Its just a tad bit easier. I understand if you cant, as you need the LUA and AI thingy

20. StinchinStein

StinchinStein
    Expand Collapse

Final update for later tonight will include a config lua file for every feature.
    With a couple of bug fixes :)
    The bump start with 100% clutch is entirely a bug xD

I would, but a few months ago a moderator wanted me to take it down due to it being severely unstable with BeamNG updates, but who knows.. maybe I can figure out a way to make it more stable.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice