More Realistic Stuff

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by SupremeDalek73, Sep 22, 2019.

1. SupremeDalek73

SupremeDalek73
    Expand Collapse

I think that this game is great and has amazing levels and vehicles, but some more features and detail to the vehicles to the lights.

My suggestions:
    -Car alarms
    -No speedometer in reverse
    -Electrics turn off when engine off
    -Better interiors
    -Moving shifters for manual transmissions
    -Shifter moves to side for sport and manual modes in modern cars

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kuukkeli

Kuukkeli
    Expand Collapse

speedometers do work while in reverse gear (atleast in most vehicles)
    Not sure what you mean

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

Not really a neccessary gameplay element, but could be nice for realism, I guess
    Are you suggesting to have no speedometer in reverse or to add one?
    That could be nice. Or atleast have the lights go dim/turn off when cranking the starter
    The devs are in the process of reworking cars, so maybe interiours will be reworked at some point in the future
    Would be nice to have them animated, but isn't a big necessity
    Not sure I get this one... Guess I haven't seen modern cars

4. 98crownvic

98crownvic
    Expand Collapse

I think what he means by the sport mode for modern shifters is when automatics have manual modes. You move the shifter to the side, then using paddle shifters, a button, or moving the gearshift, you can have a manual-like mode, minus the clutch.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

98crownvic gets it, I do believe OP is talking about this:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. SupremeDalek73

SupremeDalek73
    Expand Collapse

By the "No speedometer in reverse" I mean that on some specific vehicles, the speedometer would not function in reverse but would in 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc.

7. Kasir

Kasir
    Expand Collapse

But why? I've never seen this.

8. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

I can confirm the speedometer doesn't work in reverse, at least in my dad's KIA Cee'd, and that's a fairly normal car. I was backing the car up today when I remembered this thread, I was quite surprised
    ;)

Perhaps it has to do with how speedometers detect wheel speed, if the method only works going forward, there's no reason to make it work in reverse since reverse speed is pretty much irrelevant.

9. Kasir

Kasir
    Expand Collapse

Ah, I see. I guess the average person doesn't look forward in reverse, so that could be another reason.

10. Alex_Farmer557

Alex_Farmer557
    Expand Collapse

ill see if the reverse speedo anomaly is present on my saab when i can

11. Kueso

Kueso
    Expand Collapse

hard flex
    offhandedly mentioning your SAAB 99 (turbo?)
    nice car :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

More than likely it probably won't. More modern cars that use electronic signals for the gauges will work just fine in reverse, but older cars (honestly probably most cars up till the mid 2000's probably were still built like this) used a speedometer cable that was connected to the tail end of the transmission. This cable was essentially a flexible driveshaft that ran all the way up into the backside of the speedometer. Inside the gauge there was a mechanism to display the car's speed based off of the rotation speed of that cable. The faster it spun, the further up the needle would rise. This mechanism in almost all cars did not work in reverse however as, like mentioned, there really wasn't a need for it to. 95% of the time you are drive forward, and for the 5% of the time that your not, you also aren't looking forward, so in reality, whether it worked in reverse or not was kinda irrelevant.

All that being said, some cars the mechanism still worked in reverse, but funnily enough, the needle would just descend the wrong way past 0mph and go in that direction... that's also why a lot of cars have those little pegs to stop unnecessary needle travel. My old F150 used to be missing that peg that the gauge was supposed to rest on (I guess it broke off sometime in its past) and it actually would do exactly this... It also didn't automatically rest at 0mph either, but was closer to -5mph when not moving.

13. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

This would be nice to have yes but its not practical at the moment

My own car tells me how fast I am going in reverse so whats your point about this?

I see what your getting at but still why is this a point when in reality you can turn bits of your car on when your car is powered off

Thats already being worked on by the Developers remember the team size might be small and this is a big game so give them a chance

Some mods have this already yes but its nice idea to have but what is the point in having it when it requires more coding to do it

Again see above whats the point in having this, it would be good but not practical to have think about how much additional coding you would need for this animation to be done...

14. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

Some immersion stuff certainly could be added. As mentioned lack of movement on some shift levers really does remove from the immersion. Car alarms going off on parked cars would be great to see, though parked cars aren't a common sight in Beam. Probably the easiest to attend to is the lack of creaks and rattles. IIRC the Wentward has some but that's all. The Roamer, Hopper, and H-Series at least need some. My 2005 Jeep and my dad's 2012 Econoline have plenty of those, then I get into a similar car in Beam and hear nothing.

#14 ManfredE3, Sep 24, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

That mechanism used in older cars is often a simple induction coil, if I'm not mistaken it generates a magnetic field as the cable drives it, creating a force on the needle proportional to the rotation speed of the cable. It's probably similar to the system in my dad's Cee'd (which is a 2010 car).
    It's likely that most cars using this system simply have a peg in place to stop the needle from going to negative speeds :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice