More than one ignition switch?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by IvelinV8, Aug 4, 2017.

1. IvelinV8

IvelinV8
    Expand Collapse

Has it been done?
    Adding a second ignition switch for anti-theft protection, while leaving the original in its place, connected to nothing to confuse the thief?
    Also, can the ECU and fuse box be relocated in the same manner?

2. KJP12

KJP12
    Expand Collapse

Possible. Has it been done? I am not sure.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Josh

Josh
    Expand Collapse

You can ethier wire up a hidden power toggle switch (fuel pump, spark) or get an aftermarket antitheft.

• Like Like x 1
  4. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

The key switch can be relocated fairly easily... I actually recently did this in our parade float and relocated the ignition switch to the Power Socket location so that it can be reached easier with the new/taller seat we had to install.

As for relocating the Fuse Box or the ECU... that depends on either:

A. How flexible and free is the wiring in your car
    or
    B. How good are you with rewiring EVERYTHING as that's practically what you would need to do to get all the wires to reach to your new location.

Me? If I were to do something, I would just have a dead switch under the hood connected to the main battery cable. If you're missing the key for that, then you have no power to do anything. Pretty simple. If they go to start your car and it doesn't even click they will just figure you have a dead battery and move on.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Very basic electrical knowledge required.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. IvelinV8

IvelinV8
    Expand Collapse

It was strange that I didn't find anything about it.

7. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Well... there is nothing to really find. You would just have to add extensions to all of your wires to allow you the freedom to put your fuse box and ECU wherever you please. Basically... as long as you keep track of what you are doing, it shouldn't be to difficult to do. Although, I have to ask... why do you wish to relocate these things? The ignition switch I can sort of understand, but the fuse box? Why do you want to relocate that?

• Like Like x 1
  8. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

its really simple, if you want 2 ignition switches both independently functional, an ignition switch is just a button, wire another button in parallel with it
    if you want both to be active in order to start car, wire in series. The reason theres no article on it is because its literally within the electrical knowledge of my 9 year old sister

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice