Most tires are too dark & clean

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Unster, May 26, 2021.

1. Unster

Unster
    Expand Collapse

I wish there was at least some baked-in (if not dynamic) dust on the tires, like they've been driven on for some distance rather than being brand new from the tire shop. In the shade they're so dark they are essentially a black void. You can't even see the tread. The newer crawler tires are excellent though. I wish all tires had some dust or dirt on them like that.

2. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

My guess is that they are waiting to implement dynamic dirt instead of making them permanently dirty. But that's probably for far in the future so for now they will stay clean I guess.

3. ThatCarGuyDownTheStreet

ThatCarGuyDownTheStreet
    Expand Collapse

Would be nice to have that, for now there's a mod that does it pretty well:
    https://www.beamng.com/resources/oldsfullsize-wheels-pack-and-other-options.10198/

4. Unster

Unster
    Expand Collapse

Thanks. I guess that's an option, though those tires are a little too dusty for what I was looking for, at least for road driving. I would most prefer something in the middle for on-road tires, not totally covered in dust, but not pure black either, and with added detail. It could be part of a tire texture makeover, much like what we saw with some of the old maps.

5. ThatCarGuyDownTheStreet

ThatCarGuyDownTheStreet
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, would be nice to have some inbetweens. Cars in beam look too perfect.
    And tire textures in general are rather lacking, any sort of lift on a car reveals the 2013-esque textures. Same with old wheels, they need to be brought up to standard. Though I expect it's relatively low on the priority list, currently the devs have bigger fish to fry.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Unster

Unster
    Expand Collapse

Actually the lack of dust on most of the tires isn't the main problem. The problem is the tire color. They really should be gray, not black. Dirt is optional, and it makes sense on the crawling tires.

7. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

A lot of dark gray things appear too black in the game's lighting (like plastic car trim and stuff) so I believe it's rather a lighting issue.

• Agree Agree x 7
  8. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

I'd like to know why they only gave a dirty texture to one of the three sizes of the original Hopper Crawler tire... It makes me only want to use that one size, the other two just look uncanny...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Unster

Unster
    Expand Collapse

I'd say it's both, but I think it's primarily the color. Those crawler tires have the right color and look correct. The lighting plays some role, especially with ambient occlusion on, but even in the shade the lighter-colored crawler tires look good.

10. cheems_samurai

cheems_samurai
    Expand Collapse

It can be as simple as having the dirt texture on the car, and when they hit the hitbox of dirt/grass/gravel, etc, they slowly become less transparent

11. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

Everyone says that but they won't do this. The Oldsfullsize mod has a config with a similar idea (paint disappears where it gets damaged) and honestly it doesn't look too realistic. They want to make a better fully realistic system. And I think there could be one common system for scratches, dirt, mud, basically everything that alters the car's textures dynamically, and they could be working on that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice