1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Multiple engines?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by TripleAye, May 15, 2017.

1. TripleAye

TripleAye
    Expand Collapse

Would it be possible to have multiple engines in a vehicle?
    Seems to be feasible I believe with the still relatively new drivetrain system but I'm not entirely sure. I've been doing some personal modding lately but nothing worth releasing of course, just needed a good idea.

Concept blablabla:
    I basically want to put the I6 Turbo Diesel from the T-series into the REAR of the D35 V8 Crew Cab w/camper shell. I've actually mocked it up editor style and clearances are good, I want this to be done right, proper engine port. This would be a good first mod for me if it's possible.

More nonsense:
    Both engines would be independent, but I think it would really only work if It could be set up so that only one would be running at a time, like you couldn't start one if the other was on. Reason being, seems that it wouldn't work correctly if both engines where trying to run the car, drivetrain wise and other reasons; could be wrong though.
    I want to keep the orginal D-Series engine in it for a sort of hybrid high efficiency mode for towing smaller packages. Plus the more weight the better! I want this thing to be at least 12k lbs.
    The engine would be facing to the rear, like in a bus.
    Fits in the camper with plenting of room for other critical engine internals.
    Would need to move the V8's gas tank up a little, and add gas tanks for the Turbo Diesel. Perhaps scaled down versons of the T-Series gas tank which could also fit in camper.
    Extra frame sections including heavyduty frame separating this beast of an engine from the driver compartment, lol so that it doesn't totally flatten the whole vehicle in a wreck.

2. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

Yes. The way you want, I have no idea. I haven't looked at the new powertrain stuff at all.

3. TripleAye

TripleAye
    Expand Collapse

Yeah not like a combined torque curve I know that. Easy enough to port some meshes but I was wondering if you could have the two separate engines be separate entities engine J-Beam wise.

Also thanks for speedy reply

4. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

I believe you can, but I have no idea how, and I don't know if you can have separate transmissions and everything.

5. Kirakat

Kirakat
    Expand Collapse

There's a video on Youtube of a Minicooper (I think) with twin v6's, One powering the front tires one powering the back, Why not do that? Dseries engine powering the front tires with a trans axle and the Tseries powering the rear tires with a trans axle?

6. TripleAye

TripleAye
    Expand Collapse

Yeah true, was just thinking that it's a lot of torque for such a small contact patch in comparison to the T series, plus the vehicle coming in at a lighter weight with the same amount of power. I want it to put it down but ehh who cares really I'm already sold. Might just do that and another version with only the big turbo diesel and replace the D-series engine with extra T series gas tanks

• Like Like x 1
  7. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

Technically multiple engines in whatever way are perfectly supported by design.
    However, due to the lack of official content with that kind of powertrain, we do not currently offer any plug and play solution, you'd have to implement quite some code on your own to make use of multiple engines.
    This is no black magic or anything but requires substantial understanding of how the game works and some Lua knowledge definitely doesn't hurt either.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. TripleAye

TripleAye
    Expand Collapse

Very informativen, I appreciate the reply. So the journey begins. Though I have at least some experience in just about every other aspect needed to make such a mod, Lua is not one of them. Can anyone recommend a good starting point/reference material?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice