WIP Beta released MX Backyard

Discussion in 'Terrains, Levels, Maps' started by NkosiKarbul, Mar 9, 2014.

1. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

MX Backyard

After testing multiple dirt maps with ramps and being slightly disappointed, i decided to try to create a MX track myself.
    Riding bmx and the addiction to physics taught me how to build ramps somewhat, so i hope you will like it.

This track is exclusively designed to be best driven with the DSC Scarab using stage 2 turbo. The DSC Buggy does handle it pretty well too.
    You can try other vehicles, but that happens on your own risk and your insurance will probably turn its back on you faster than you can say "comprehensive cover?".

Map from aerial perspective:
    Red arrows are allready set up jumps, blue arrows are planned jumps, but might get changed.
    The length of the arrows also indicates the average jump distances per ramp.
    MXHeaven.jpg

Features:

• Ca. 14 "small" to huge jumps/drops
    • Ca. 22 steep turns/wall rides
    • Smooth and wide track surface for high speed racing or time trial
    • Ditches to catch "rainwater" aka your tires
    • Rocks and dead trees all along the side of the track
    • Mud
    • some air time :p

The video shows the parts that are already more or less done from pure track shape, if you watch closely ... inbetween the pixels ... you might be able to see hints where the rest of the track will go. Otherwise, see below.

Sorry again for bad video Quality, even when it lookd good before uploading, youtube raped it due to wrong settings as im still clueless and need that video editing lesson. -.-

Everything is already in perfect file structure as i use DrowsySams template map "Create A Map" to save time and work.
    Highly appreciated and recommended to any other map creator that wants to throw out a map idea very fast!

Beta release:
    This Beta version is not optimized in terms of track surface and many other things. The track is not complete yet and there are details missing, like ditches, but i just need a pause from the terrain editor as it drives me crazy.
    So here you go.
    Drive the DSC Scarab stage 2 Turbo or the DSC Buggy... or whatever you want.^^
    You have to go full speed nearly all over the track to be fast enough to make the next jump, very few courners allow you to step off the gas. You also have a little room to use the clutch sometimes in case you slide and want to gain some traction back.
    Watch the video again if you have problems surviving even a single (undone) round. Jumps and courners can turn out very differently depending on the line you drive. Try to stay in the middle of the track, but feel free to test the edges. And, remember steep turns demand less steering from you than normal courners.
    To start perfectly while using full throttle, the Scarab should stand right in between the four temporary placed stones, otherwise the first jump will fail! There are small potholes too, so it should rest there on its own.
    StartPosition.jpg
    Have fun and fly safe. ;)
    Edit: i somehow messed up the second jump, the tiny one in front of the first wallride/third courner. Makes you tilt forward now, will try to fix that for next release.

Update:
    I hope i fixed the missing mud material and its odd behaviour. Also, i tried to fix the fact the map would use tree models from the gridmap.
    Beside the fixed beta version, i uploaded a patch for all the people who already downloaded the beta in front. Just copy the folder called "MX_Backyard" from the patch zip into your level folder to overwrite two files.
    Please report if you still have problems, im not entirely sure i did it right. :/

Attached Files:

#1 NkosiKarbul, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  2. Jack Attack

Jack Attack
    Expand Collapse

Re: NKK MX Backyard

Looks great! Wow you're good at driving that thing, I'd probably have it in a ditch after two jumps.

3. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

If the track is really as smooth as it looks, then this will be heavenly to race on!

I love the simplicity of it, and it has enough track to keep it interesting!

(Also, I bet you aren't as tired as I am. I managed to not sleep all night and I couldn't help it. :( )

4. ultranew_b

ultranew_b
    Expand Collapse

Looks fast and fun !

:D

5. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

It is as smooth as it looks, otherwise it would look less smooth. To speak wisely and tired. lulz
    And what you mean with simplicity?
    No offence taken or anything, but we have (will have) around 14 jumps and around 22 steep turns of which some are massive wallrides. The one you saw isnt even the biggest one. ^^
    I plan to add rainwater ditches, mudfields, stones and dead trees everywhere to raise the risk of failure.

And same here, did not sleep a single moment because i had to keep sculpting ramps and steep turns. ^^
    Once you found how to use the tools they can create rather nice results, still it can be tedious as hell.
    Will continue to work on the track now, sleep has to wait a little longer.

If anyone has suggestions what kind of jumps/ramps he would like to see, feel free to post them and i will see if i can realize them using the terrain editor.
    I also thought about to insert some of my modular mesh road parts, to get more variety in track surfaces, or do you guys want it to be dirt all the way?

6. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

I mean, it isn't filled with a bunch of buildings and stuff. I think the track is quite complex, but it isn't filled with extra props. If you do plan on adding props, can you maybe upload a prop-free version? Not for lags-sake, but just for a simple map.

Keep working! At least your sleepless night had a reason! Mine was too much thinking and possibly the 2 cans of Coca-Cola I had 5 hours earlier.

7. Ghost187

Ghost187
    Expand Collapse

looks really good :D

8. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

Ah i see, yeah i think i will keep it mainly props free, can play around enough with my road meshs on other maps, but i thought to add one or two wooden bridges maybe, if that doesnt bug you too much. :p
    And im immune to coca-cola, drinking too much of it. :/

Thank you all for the interest.
    PS: @ Jack Attack: it took several attempts to get the "clean" run you see in the video of course.
    But i like a track that brings you to your limits and forces you to fight them on the edge the whole time if possible, everything else is just for sunday drivers. ;)

9. Nickorator

Nickorator
    Expand Collapse

This map. Omg.

I can't wait for this. Wrecking cars is awesome but I personally think it's even more fun to try and land jumps. Of course failing in the process but for me trial and error is the best part. Can't wait for the release!

10. firelover

firelover
    Expand Collapse

Good track :)

#10 firelover, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  11. LanceJ

LanceJ
    Expand Collapse

I can feel it now... THIS IS BAJA HEAVEN

12. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

MX Backyard Beta Released!

Please read the first post for informations and i hope you have fun.
    You have to use the program 7-zip to unpack the zip file, i will fix that tomorrow.
    Thanks to mike22 for pointing out!

#12 NkosiKarbul, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  13. mike22

mike22
    Expand Collapse

I ran into an "unknown method" error extracting the archive with WinRAR, but I know how to use Google well, so I figured out I needed to use 7-Zip to extract the archive within a minute. I just wanted to post this to let people know that 7-Zp will extract it without a problem.

14. Ghost187

Ghost187
    Expand Collapse

OMG this is so much fun...:D great map.

15. Nickorator

Nickorator
    Expand Collapse

Been looking forward to this even since you posted it. Glad you got a beta out :D This thing looks like a blast. I'm just waiting to finish my download XD Can't wait for more updates!

EDIT- So I noticed a few texture errors. Plus, I'm confused. Where is that road behind the starting line supposed to go? It's just kinda broken.
    maphelp.JPG

#15 Nickorator, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  16. mike22

mike22
    Expand Collapse

I saw those texture errors too. I guess they're supposed to be mud.

Also, I have two copies of the game on my hard drive. One is stripped bare of every level except industrial. I use it to test my terrains before I release them. When I tried this terrain on that copy of the game, it called for a bunch of /GridMap/ stuff, so I had to put a copy of the GridMap folder in. You may have known that already, but if you didn't, I wanted to bring it to your attention. It's not really a big deal since most people will have a standard copy of the game.

17. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

Hm meh, i thought i had them fixed, thank you. And, yes the road behind the start line is broken on purpose, it is just left to indicate that the track is not done yet. There was a lot more of those unfinished roads but i painted over most with grass.

I was feared it is like that, but tested it myself on a clean installed game that has all other vanilla maps and it worked, even the mud. :/
    Will fix that, thx for reporting!

18. Motovader72

Motovader72
    Expand Collapse

I have the same missing texture.

When you hit the red, you stop dead. :eek:

19. Nickorator

Nickorator
    Expand Collapse

The first time I actually make the second jump, I manage to wrap myself around a tree. Brilliant. I'm loving this map. If you just completed those blank roads and fixed the mud texture this map would be perfect. It nearly is already. So much fun.
    tehfailz.JPG

EDIT- I can make the 2nd jump nearly every time at this point. And afterwards I simply drive around the mud. (Too lazy to slowly drive through it) However no matter how many times I try I cannot make that third one over the lake. Meh. I can't wait till someone actually makes the whole track in one run and makes a video of it.... Maybe I'll be the first..? Challenge accepted :3

#19 Nickorator, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  20. DrowsySam

DrowsySam
    Expand Collapse

Epic map!

You really need to keep the Scarab redlined on this one. ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice