Need For Speed: A Rant

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by redrobin, Nov 7, 2015.

1. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

The gaming industry is in trouble. The big AAA title companies need to step up and make a good game; quick, fast, and in a hurry. A very good example of this is the new Need For Speed, recently released by the biggest tycoon in the industry: Electronic Arts. What a disaster this game is, what an absolute monstrosity that has been released onto our car culture gamers. Now, you may be asking, "What's so bad? The graphics are amazing!"

Ok, fine, it's a very pretty game. The cars are well modeled and the mono-light environment is very well detailed with high quality textures and beautiful reflections. But, after the graphics, we must clutch at straws to find plus points to this game. Where must we begin?

Car List: What a waste of that exclusive Porsche license, EA. Oh, and what's that? 3 different variants of the Toyota GT-86? Hmm? Of course I like classic muscle cars, why do you ask? Oh, thanks for the two Mustangs you provide. European cars? Sure, I'll drive one. Oh, there's only BMW's. And 50 cars. 50. You guys aren't BeamNG, you guys had a large fleet of people working on these cars, why in the hell couldn't you make the list even remotely interesting. Oh, and you can only own 5 cars, as far as I can tell.

General Customization: It's fun, I suppose. But, I must ask, why are there 3 different variants of the same front bumper on the MX-5? Do you mean you guys *gasps* recycled parts?! Oh, a Volvo 240. Finally an interesting car... That I can't customize to look interesting in even the slightest. Good job on the performance customizations, though, at least you got that sort of right.

Handling: Oh no, here's where everything goes to hell, if it somehow hasn't already. The handling is terrible. Absolutely the worst. Now, I'm not a closed-minded idiot, I understand that it's an arcade style game. However, that is absolutely no excuse. Burnout Paradise was wonderful, you actually felt like you were in control of the car. Even in previous Need For Speed games you felt like you were in control of the car. But here, now, not at all. When diving into a corner, your vehicle (no matter Front, Rear, or All-wheel-drive), automatically flies into this drift limbo that you can't get out of. This is stupid. You feel like that the game is, and I quote Alex from FailRace, "Playing itself." You know what, that's really close. It feels like there is no control of the game from your input. Oh, and if that wasn't enough, the game forces you to drive with an Automatic. Forces you. There's no option for even a semi-automatic. Tragic.

How, EA? How did you screw this up so bad? I was so hopeful, I was actually hyped for a game for once. But you fell for the trap again. You saw dollar signs, you ignored what everyone was asking for, and you released an unsatisfactory game a year late. If you've been paying attention to the news, you'd know that 343 Industries has had a similar fate with Halo 5: Guardians, but that's a rant for another time.

As parting words, I'm highly disappointed. EA had the chance to release something absolutely amazing. The had the chance to be brought back to the top in terms of arcade racing games. But instead of releasing a quality product, instead of releasing a game that is fun for a die hard racing fan, they released a game for the Battlefield player. This game doesn't even deserve to be pirated.

• Like Like x 9
  2. cwg|•Blah146135

cwg|•Blah146135
    Expand Collapse

I don't get the "Battlefield player" part. What's so bad about Battlefield players?

3. randomshortguy

randomshortguy
    Expand Collapse

nothing's wrong with a battlefield player, it's just that he's saying that the whole cars and car culture was compressed and simplified into a superficial, shiny but utterly meaningless title that is so broad it can appeal to the dudebros who call battlefield the best game in the world.

• Like Like x 3
  4. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Well, that's a disappointment. I was expecting a fun racing game to play on PC.
    But Fallout 4 is out in less than 4 days, so there's that which is very nice indeed. At least Bethesda still cares about their players.

• Like Like x 2
  5. randomshortguy

randomshortguy
    Expand Collapse

I can't help but think "I knew it"

the evidence was always there:
    no cockpit view > don't want to actually model anything or attempt realism
    EA > self evident truth
    Prerendered/Scripted trailers > all for the dosh, nothing to actually show

• Like Like x 3
  6. CaffeinatedPixels

CaffeinatedPixels
    Expand Collapse

Damn, now I'm happy I renewed my iRacing subscription.

7. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

EA 's corporate consumer fascism is doing it's job well, feeding 99.9% of the world's mindless video game lemmings the rich tasty dogshit
    they so crave.

8. ktheminecraftfan

ktheminecraftfan
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for the buyers advice (not that I don't buy my games THANKS MUM FOR BUYING ME VIDEO GAMES!)

9. SuperNoob05

SuperNoob05
    Expand Collapse

It's EA, what did you expect?

• Like Like x 1
  10. ktheminecraftfan

ktheminecraftfan
    Expand Collapse

they really need to do is to talk to some of their fans on what they want, as they say the customer is always right.

#10 ktheminecraftfan, Nov 7, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  11. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

You know... normally I get really annoyed at things like this, but for the first time in my life... I 100% totally agree with everything here.

When I played the Closed Beta, I thought to myself (just like literally everyone else that played) "This is a great starting point! They could really polish this up to be an amazing game!" and then when it was released... we all realized that the closed Beta... was the final product. Did they even add anything in? I don't think they did :p

For instance, I started out with the Ford Mustang as my first car (the Fox Body... the one that no one seems to remember *sad owner is sad*) and after I did a lot of racing (because the phone literally never STOPS RINGING!!!) I had a stupid amount of money built up so I decided to have some fun with my car and reminisce the good old days with NFSU, U2, MW, Carbon, and even go as far to say Pro Street and Shift in glorious HD goodness... but honestly, I think Shift had more customization then this game.

Literally... there is NOTHING you could change on the Fox Body Mustang! Nothing! I think there were like... 3 options or something... a slightly bigger cowl on the hood of about a half inch (big woop-de-do), a spliter on the front bumper (not even the bumper itself :p), and the rear bumper (I think... honestly, I was so disappointed I don't even remember).

So I thought to myself, "Cool! they are finally adding progression back into games where you have to unlock things for yourself!" because I always liked playing through games and being rewarded for it, unlike what a lot of games do now adays and just let you buy everything with a fat wallet. Even though I thought it was odd that it didn't show me there were more options to even unlock, I was hopeful. So I started attacking the city even more... I played for hours, and hours, and hours. I had more money then I even knew what to do with... and not one piece of body work was unlocked on the car... not one.

So, ever the optimist, I thought to myself "well, this is a Beta, perhaps they only gave us a small sampling of the game to mess with just to make sure it would work" thinking that all cars in the short car list were going to have the insane customization options the older NFS games had to make up for the serious lack of cars available. APPARENTLY NOT... we all were fooled.

The Handling was another thing that I totally agree on. I don't, and I mean DO NOT, understand how on earth they could go from such smooth handling system of NFS Rivals to the janky, rickety handling system in NFS 2015 in such a short span of time... I mean... if they literally just popped the the old handling system into the new game I honestly think no one would have cared even the slightest... Not at all... but no... honestly, whatever the heck they ended up doing feels so close to (and it hurts me to say this since I love NFS so much) Mario Kart while drifting that I found myself trying to find the drift initiation button to try and stop it like in Mario Kart. I felt like there must be one because sometimes the car would get locked into a drift so badly that you could not pull it back! Even when you were doing every trick in the book to stop it! It was almost like the car got locked into some sort of Drift rail that made it slide at a fixed angle no matter what you did. Heck a couple of times when doing back to back sweeping drifts, I cleared the corners despite the car physically drifting in the wrong direction... that was an odd sensation :p

So like I said... I just chalked all this up to the game being in Beta and not being finished yet... heck in that stupid survey they sent out I brought up ALL of these points... and a few more.
    I mean who makes a racing game, shows you the tach and the speed, and not let you shift?

So yea... I too am greatly disappointed with this game... it almost makes me depressed... I was hoping for something to rival U2 or possibly come close to the fun of Midnight Club Dub Edition (that game was stupidly fun) and they had an AMAZING platform to start with! I mean the graphics are insane and the world is so well detailed, including all the cars in the game! But somehow they finished all of that and then just literally stopped making the game or something.

I can see this happening in management at EA "The car moves, good enough! It doesn't drift? Well can you make the car model pitch left or right in a corner? It doesn't matter which way... you can? AWESOME! Cars now drift, we are done here."

If they don't release an update to fix all these problems I am going to be madly disappointed.

#11 atv_123, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice