Need RL Help

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by redrobin, May 25, 2014.

1. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

So, I'm currently modding my car. I own a 1996 Toyota Corolla DX with 99k miles. I really want to put a wicked sound system in it, as the stock cardboard speakers are... well... Two are blown, the rest are going, and tape decks for life. If someone could give me a checklist of things I need to do this or even some hardware suggestions, that would be great. I have somewhere in the realm of $750-$1000 USD. Please, nothing fancy, only requirements are an aux jack, really. Maybe even iPod compatibility, as I have an iPhone. Thanks guys!

2. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

I think first things first would be to confirm not only is the stereo fitting a standard sized one (on a car of that age it probably is) but that the wiring harness is ISO standard, even if the plugs appear the same get online and find a wiring diagram specific to your car and check it against the standard wiring format, it is not uncommon for manufacturers to swap around left/right or front/rear audio channels or a very common one is to swap the live and ignition wires - for this reason most headunits actually have swappable plugs on the live and ignition wires.

I can't recommend a full sound system, I myself only run a sony CDX-GT210 with the stock speakers. But its definitely a good idea to double and triple check what the cars stock electrical configuration is so you can work out beforehand if anything needs either adaptor harnesses or resoldering.

3. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Yea, my Haynes Repair Manual has a diagram in it, I'll update later.

4. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

Go to Crutchfield or Sonic Electronix, and they can match stereos and speakers to your car, with dash kits and wiring harnesses included. That's the way I'd go.

5. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Yes! Just what I needed! Thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice