Nerf soft bushes

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by TripleAye, Jul 2, 2016.

1. TripleAye

TripleAye
    Expand Collapse

Please

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. B727ClassicFlyer

B727ClassicFlyer
    Expand Collapse

Why should they? They function exactly like how a bush should behave: soft on the outside, hard on the inside. Yeah, you might get visual and/or mechanical damage, but it's perfectly valid for BeamNG's Mother Nature.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. stbest95

stbest95
    Expand Collapse

i agree. these bushes may be soft, but they slow down cars way too much. no car ist gonna go from 60 to 30 miles per hour and flip over cause it hit a small bush. i very much like the basic idea behind this, but the effect needs to be reduced to be at least a little bit realistic. im fine with cars getting damaged by hitting a bush, but they should not slow down in such an unrealistic fashion.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. randomshortguy

randomshortguy
    Expand Collapse

It should be weight-sensitive, which it currently isn't. It will stop a T75 as fast as a Covet, which looks really unrealistic to see a very large vehicle spun out or slowed significantly by a medium sized shrub. The T75 could take down a sizable tree with enough speed.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. TripleAye

TripleAye
    Expand Collapse

Glad we're all on the same frequency here. Don't get me wrong I do like the idea as it does add an extra level of realism, however it definitely needs some work because it just doesn't seem very authentic in its current implementation. I wouldn't expect a car to react the way they do in game when hitting a bush at speed in most cases. It just looks unnatural the way they interact with vehicles. I hope the Devs can offer some insight and consider making some changes because who knows, maybe they think it's perfect as is?:confused: I'd rather do without currently.
    --- Post updated ---
    Exactly, and to add to this I think that speed should also be a factor in that your momentum should effect how the bushes effect the vehicle itself. A car going 50mph would obliterate a bush, and a semi would hardly flinch.

#5 TripleAye, Jul 2, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. lukerules117

lukerules117
    Expand Collapse

The bushes do seem overly grabby especially at the edges.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Red exhaust

Red exhaust
    Expand Collapse

I 100% agree. They should be more soft in the middle too imo.

8. Drivver

Drivver
    Expand Collapse

Bushes are probably catching all beams they touch, while IRL bush would bend and then just scrape side of car. But in BeamNG they are solid and not bend so they hit every beam they touch. I'm not sure if that's true but I guess it's working like this. But covet should be able to cut even big bushes. My friend in fiat punto drove through 2 bushes which trunks diameters were about 5cm at about 40-50 km/h and bumper didn't even cracked. Here's nice example with Robert Kubica as lumberjack and his Citroen as saw :D

~ 4-6 trees went down, bumper and hood dented, that's all.

Once it drove me insane while I was doing moded scenario Rally Canyon Short and I was about to break record, suddenly bush... :p But seriously just scratched bush by just a little bit, car spun out and hours (actually weeks) of trying got ...... by tapping leaves of bush I left this scenario and never tried again. But there will never be mix of rigid body and soft body in BeamNG so I don't see better solution to just weaken bushes a lot and made just fine tune center of bush. But it shouldn't do a lot of resistance to for example roamer or T75. Also what about small trees? I hoped for something like spin tires offer, but this may be too complicated to implement and it may use too much of compute power.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. randomshortguy

randomshortguy
    Expand Collapse

Well honestly, a vehicle like the T75 should just be able to plow right through a bush; the bush clipping into the cab won't look terribly realistic but physically speaking it'll be realistic. Perhaps in the future the developers will add a vegetation inhibitor like someone mentioned in a thread under the same name; that way, vegetation would disappear if it entered into the vehicle's cabin.

• Like Like x 2
  10. TripleAye

TripleAye
    Expand Collapse

I feel your pain for sure, especially when some of these things are reaching out onto the actual driving path. It can be really frustrating when you've spent X amount of time trying to best yourself only to get to the end and have some random twigs grab you making your car do a 180 fakie kickflip completely ruining your run and probably the rest of your day. I generally avoid scenerios using them as I can't drive as aggressively as I want to. This really sucks because I can't play competitively on two of my favorite maps.

11. Rainvest

Rainvest
    Expand Collapse

You know what. Sorry for the bump but this is just ridiculous.

Falling off cliffs in JRI is more of a stroll in the park than being your worst nightmare.

• Agree Agree x 11
  12. TripleAye

TripleAye
    Expand Collapse

Honestly I appreciate the bump as the topic has gotten very little attention. I still feel very strongly about it but apparently this isn't seen as an issue.

Honestly this is really just laughable, I wish they would change the way these wacky soft bushes worked, or at least give us options.

#12 TripleAye, Feb 5, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 4
  13. Rainvest

Rainvest
    Expand Collapse

Well, before this thread dies, i'm going to keep this on life support till someone that can actually help us acknowledges this thread.
    --- Post updated ---
    Oh and one more thing. These stick twig things that aren't even a bush are catastrophic for your health and your car.

screenshot_00200.png screenshot_00201.png

#13 Rainvest, Feb 5, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 5
  14. TripleAye

TripleAye
    Expand Collapse

See this is what I'm talking about, that's absolutely ******* ridiculous, excuse my language but you're touching on a topic that really perturbs me. I don't want to resort to @'ing one of the devs but how else do we get any attention? What percentage of threads do they actually really see?

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Inertia

Inertia
    Expand Collapse

I think everyone in this thread needs to calm down, this is simply the way it is because of the ways trees are simulated. They don't have a simulated collision mesh (as far as I know) but instead just a static mesh, and usually the branches don't even have a collision mesh. If every object had perfect collision meshes the game would run incredibly poorly. I do agree that small bushes are annoying, and I think at the current stage they would be better without any collision mesh. Implementing dynamic collision meshes has been talked about, but is quite a difficult task to accomplish.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. stbest95

stbest95
    Expand Collapse

it should be easy enough to to have only the middle most portion of a bush slow you down simulating a trunk of sorts.
    that way you wouldnt get slowed down if you only clipped the outside of a bush.
    and maybe exclude the tree canopy from this effect completely to prevent what we see on JRI.

i think this is pretty important since the way it works now is arguably worse than the bushes having no collision mesh whatsoever (like in most other games).

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

lol, you know that ECU doesn't have soft brush?

18. stbest95

stbest95
    Expand Collapse

the video he showed didnt include any soft brush. just something that looks like a small bush and acts like a beton barrier.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Rainvest

Rainvest
    Expand Collapse

What would be best is if soft bushes were gone entirely. Or fixed.

20. TripleAye

TripleAye
    Expand Collapse

Fixed of course, or at least in my opinion. I mean I'd rather have them gone than act like they do now but ideally I'd want it fixed. I really like the idea as it adds another level of "realism". The effect that they have just needs to be halved at least, maybe even 25% of the way they currently behave.

You say that as if this can't be changed when surely it can. It also doesn't really have much to do with what style of collision mesh is used but instead the effect of that collision mesh, if you get where I'm coming from. We aren't asking for dynamic collision meshes in this regard, were asking for the effects of said mesh to be altered in such a way so as to not have any undesired characteristics. I.e. soft brushes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice