Networking switch problem

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Sirius2003, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Sirius2003

Sirius2003
    Expand Collapse

So I have a 5 port switch (netgear gs105) in my room that I use for my computer, xbox and playstation. The problem i have is that sometimes the ethernet cable going to the switch will display that it only has a 100 mbps connection (one light). However, the cable going to my pc displays a 1000 mbps connection (two lights).

I have tested this problem over a connection speed test website and it shows that i only have a 100 mbps connection. If I unplug the wire going to the switch, it will show the computer as still connected with a 1000 mbps connection. When I plug the cable going to the switch back in, no lights will turn on for a few seconds, then only one will turn on. However, if I disconnect the cable going to my computer, THEN connect the cable going to the switch back in, it will show both lights lighting up. After that I can reconnect my computer and I will get 240 mbps. It will say that way for a while (maybe a few hours), but then it will switch back to a 100 mbps and I haven't been able to pinpoint why it does this.

I have tried many different things to fix this, I have tried making my ip on my pc static, I have tried using different ports on the switch, I have tried messing with the settings of the nic and messed with slave/master settings and forced it to a 1000 mbps speed. Nothing fixed my problem.

If anyone else has a problem similar to this, or know whats going on and how to fix this, please help me with this.

2. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Each port on the switch controls it's own speed independently of the others. It's fully possible for link between PC and switch to be gigabit while link between switch and something else is 100mb.

Actually sounds like you're likely using plain cat5 or even cat 4 cable rather than cat5e or cat 6 between switch and next device. The switch has likely connected at gigabit, experienced issues with a cable not designed for it and dropped back down to 100mb. The cable between switch and PC is unaffected so remains a gigabit connection

3. Sirius2003

Sirius2003
    Expand Collapse

I have a cat6 cable going to the switch, and a cat5e cable going to my computer so I do not think that is the problem. Any other ideas?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice