New PC internet issues

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by FenderBenderTV, Aug 21, 2021.

1. FenderBenderTV

FenderBenderTV
    Expand Collapse

So I just bought a Dell Optiplex 3010 to finally upgrade from an old MacBook Air. What I didn't know about the computer was that it was an ethernet only PC, (no wireless connection). But when I plugged an ethernet cable into my wifi extender in the guest bedroom, it says it is connected but the "ip has no valid configuration". In an attempt to fix it, I brought it downstairs from my room and connected it to the main "router" in my living room, and the computer connected to the wifi just fine. I brought it back up to my room and, it won't connect to the internet when connected to the wifi extender. I find this very strange since we bought both the router and the extender from our internet provider fios.
    If you know what to do let me know

Thanks

2. Arizona Caseo

Arizona Caseo
    Expand Collapse

Easy solution, Don't buy a Dell. If you need the portability, get either a used 2nd gen 16in Macbook Pro for lighter loads and use bootcamp or get an Acer Nitro 5 with at least a GTX 1650 if you prefer gaming. Dell is known to scam people into buying warranties, financing, and proprietary hardware, so if you can, sell the Dell and get yourself something better.

3. P_enta

P_enta
    Expand Collapse

nice solution lol.

I would buy a 15 dollar USB wifi adapter and use that. they get similar performance as well.

4. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Is there anything else that works via Wifi extender, so that you could confirm extender itself is able to provide connectivity to internet?

Possibility is that extender itself is not reaching router. Not sure what kind of configuration is needed there as this close to Russia I try to avoid Wifi...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice