1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

New to beamng

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brady Weyer, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Brady Weyer

Brady Weyer
    Expand Collapse

The forums seem like dark waters, but I’m going to dip my toes in here and go ahead and say I’m new to this game. Stumbled upon it on YouTube one day with my kids and am about to set it up on the new PC. Wanted to ask the community here what are some basic need-to-know things as I get started. Seems like the game and mods have some very well though out design features and there are some talented individuals on here that could offer some insight on what to do, not to do, basics on downloading quality mods, etc.

2. rocksim

rocksim
    Expand Collapse

Only download mods from the forums.

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Wiki works as manual and guide to many things:
    https://www.beamng.com/link-forums/wiki.574/

Controller or steering wheel is very much recommended, for gamepads from options/controls/filtering page you can set steering limit by speed, so it is much easier to steer correct amount at speed and not to go straight at every turn.

If you download mods from ingame repository that is safe, also downloading mods from these forums is pretty safe, but there are other sites which will lure with things like ferraris etc, which contain really badly made mods and can come with malware too, so with those experience might not be the best, hence recommendations to use only ingame repo and this forum.

Left control is handy key, hold it down and you can grab points of vehicle, you can also bind two points of different vehicles together etc.

Loading a boxtruck you usually pause physics with J key, then use world editor (F11) key to move load into truck.

Also with FFB wheel game is really good for hotlapping, but wheel setup can be tricky. In addition to what is on manual at wiki about setting up steering wheels, I have written some thoughts about it:
    https://www.beamng.com/threads/guide-to-ffb.56886

To get best of this game, one needs to learn it a bit, not the easiest to just start driving around, but when one learns all the tricks, this game offers widest of possibilities, rock crawling, racing on dirt, paved roads, crashing etc.

About performance, avoid ssao and especially dynamic reflections, unless you have fastest single core performance available, also GPU needs to be really fast for high graphics. Many graphics options use CPU too currently and as physics run at 2000Hz and cars are quite complex, you can run usually around 1 car per 1 physical core, maybe bit more, depending from graphics settings.

As game still is in Early Access and Alpha lot can be changed in short time too, so it is fun part too, to be able to see how game grows.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Brady Weyer

Brady Weyer
    Expand Collapse

Thank you. I have a Logitech f310 controller, will that work? Considered going xbox one wireless but that’s spendy. Running windows 10 (64 bit), intel i5 quad 3.1ghz, 8gb ram, with Gtx 1050 graphics. Not sure what you mean ssao?

5. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

ssao is graphics option keep it off.

You can play normal to low graphics quality @ 60fps using 1080p, lowering resolution might help.

F310 should work fine, try these settings for fast driving like time attack etc:
    upload_2018-12-9_11-22-17.png upload_2018-12-9_11-23-15.png

I'm using Logitech Rumble Pad 2 wireless quite often, also have Thrustmaster T150 wheel which I use when driving more seriously, but for wheel Logitech has less trouble with driver side of things.

Some graphics settings that might work, it is better to aim constant 60fps and use vsync in this game for smoothest gameplay, but if 60fps can't be reached, then vsync is better kept off as well as fps limiter off.
    upload_2018-12-9_11-26-12.png

I had desktop i3-6100 and gtx1050Ti, selecting for example normal or low preset, then choosing high texture quality is much prettier while allowing good performance.

Turning shadows completely off can help quite a bit.

This map is one of my favorites for hotlapping kind of driving, if you have played Grand Tourismo on Playstation you might recognize the map.
    https://www.beamng.com/resources/trial-mountain.285/

6. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Easy rules to remember on here

1. Don't be an idiot
    2. Show respect
    3. Only download mods from this site and this site only, any from modsgaming or anything like that is loaded with viruses
    4. [CLASSIFIED]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. MRcrash

MRcrash
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

3. It's not really about viruses. If you know what to not click on, you can download from there without getting any virus.
    The problem is the quality of mods on these sites. The mods are either really crappy or stolen from here.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Yeah mod quality there is well worse than what you shovel out from the horse stable at the end of every day if you know what I mean....

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cutlass

Cutlass
    Expand Collapse

Check the devblog for updates

10. Brady Weyer

Brady Weyer
    Expand Collapse

Thank you so much. Can’t wait to dive in and get started.

11. Brady Weyer

Brady Weyer
    Expand Collapse

Officially got the game up and running. Loving it. Thank you for your advice. Suggestions on first mods?

12. crazikyle

crazikyle
    Expand Collapse

Honestly? I'd just stick with the vanilla game. I've never had a mod that is superior to vanilla or adds anything significant. No hate to all the work the community that puts countless hours into making content for the game, its just that that content isn't much my style. I have about 1500 hours on the game and that is all pretty much vanilla content. Maps, cars, scenarios, etc. The base game is just so good I'd stick with that.

13. baarry5444

baarry5444
    Expand Collapse

If you want to download mods for BeamNG, then you'll find plenty of quality content made by various users on the forums and the repository. Categories include vehicles, terrains/levels, modifications of existing content, and scenarios.

One word of advice: do not visit third-party websites for mods. They often have low-quality mesh-slaps/clickbait mods, as well as mods uploaded from the forums to their websites.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. MrCin

MrCin
    Expand Collapse

@NinetyNine!'s mods are really good.

15. Brady Weyer

Brady Weyer
    Expand Collapse

Ok still getting a handle on it, how do I enable alt+click to move vehicles? It’s not working. This game does have nodule grab correct?

16. CN877

CN877
    Expand Collapse

CTRL and click

Also use ALT and scroll wheel to adjust strength :)

17. Brady Weyer

Brady Weyer
    Expand Collapse

That’s not working either. Ctrl click should bring up the nodules to be able to move the vehicle correct?

18. CN877

CN877
    Expand Collapse

Other useful info:
    Shift+C for freecam and F7 to place vehicle

Good mods:
    Satsuma 210
    codenameoldsfullsize (w/ addon)
    CRD monster truck (w/ addon)
    Gavril Gladiator (Branded Dodge Coronet Version is in the forums)
    ETK S Series (currently outdated but I can send you a patch file)
    LKS Prerunner
    Basically anything by NinetyNine
    --- Post updated ---
    Yes it should, press control and hover mouse over vehicle?

19. Brady Weyer

Brady Weyer
    Expand Collapse

Thank you. It works once freecam is used.

• Like Like x 1
  20. CN877

CN877
    Expand Collapse

It should work in any camera mode though, maybe just a bug. Let me know if you have any other issues :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice