1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Next Hardware Upgrade

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dirtbikr98, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Dirtbikr98

Dirtbikr98
    Expand Collapse

My PC has trouble in the vehicle customization menu. It's pretty slow and pauses when I select new parts and even in the adjustments when I change values. Would RAM help with that? I currently have 8GB but and looking to get 16GB. Is that menu more dependent on your processor or RAM?

2. BryceCharters

BryceCharters
    Expand Collapse

The UI is known for being very laggy in it's current state, even with the best PC. It might be better to just wait until the devs optimize the UI more, but you could still upgrade if you really want to.

3. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

An effective workaround to the UI lag is to set the UI priority to realtime in the Task Manager.

#3 EruptionTyphlosion, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. BryceCharters

BryceCharters
    Expand Collapse

Interesting, I didn't know about that.

5. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

Actually, set it to Realtime for best results.

6. Godzilla!

Godzilla!
    Expand Collapse

Low power CPUs (especially AMD), multiple installed mods and memory can take a hit with the user interface, especially with more cars spawned.

Although it tends to lag with mid to high-end hardware as well.

i5-8600k at 4.2 GHz and 16GB RAM at 3,200 MHz and menu is still somewhat laggy.

#6 Godzilla!, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 4
  7. PriusRepellent

PriusRepellent
    Expand Collapse

Pretty much this. I have a Core i7 4790k @ 4.5 GHz (which has been a great CPU) with 16 GB of RAM and the menu is still laggy.

8. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

Never set a program's priority to "realtime" unless the machine is only going to run that program.

In the event of the UI going to some kind of looped shit, it will starve your computer of CPU cycles to the point that mouse and keyboard will become unresponsive, forcing you to do a hard reboot.

Anything LESS than realtime is fine, though, and the only current solution other than pausing physics.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Dirtbikr98

Dirtbikr98
    Expand Collapse

So I am understanding that it's not just me. I have an i7 4770 @ 3.4GHz which is outdated at this point and it gets laggy as more cars spawn. I guess I will hold off on the upgrade because I don't really need it yet. Thanks guys.

10. PriusRepellent

PriusRepellent
    Expand Collapse

Your problem with lag with more cars could be solved by upgrading to a Ryzen 7 2700X (this is AMD's overall best value CPU IMO). That would give you 8 true cores, with 16 threads, and as far as I know BeamNG is pretty good at taking advantage of Ryzen's high core count when it comes to multiple cars. To minimize thermal throttling and maximize use of turbo speeds, I'd recommend a 3rd party cooler rated at a TDP higher than the CPU is. That is how I get full turbo on all cores constantly out of my i7 4790k.

11. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

Let it be reiterated though that no matter how good your CPU is, the UI will become increasingly unresponsive, even if it should theoretically have one core all to its own.

The 4770 is still more than enough for BeamNG. Personally, spawning 12 or so stock pickups, my overclocked 4690k is still running cars at nearly full simulation speed while my r9 290 gives out on the graphics end in terms of frames lost.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Dirtbikr98

Dirtbikr98
    Expand Collapse

I'll be dead before I get an AMD tbh
    --- Post updated ---
    Yeah I have zero issues other than the UI

13. Dealercrash

Dealercrash
    Expand Collapse

Why is that? They are generally good value CPUs (at least for Ryzen and Ryzen 2)

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Dirtbikr98

Dirtbikr98
    Expand Collapse

because my friend has an AMD and I always give him shit about it just because he is my friend so I can't get one after all these years of giving him shit.. Mainly because he had to watercool his pc to get it to stop overheating.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice