No mid-rear engined trucks?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by SpaaaaaaceMouse, Nov 25, 2021.

1. SpaaaaaaceMouse

SpaaaaaaceMouse
    Expand Collapse

So, a recent thought that's been bouncing around my head, is why hasn't there ever been a mid-engined truck? It seems like all the same advantages that would apply to sports-cars would apply here as well. More weight on the rear would help traction for carrying or towing things. Less weight in front would improve handling.
    I'm sure there are probably some convenience reasons like packaging, but i don't feel like it would be hard to put the engine on a sub-frame perhaps with the rear wheels to roll it out for maintenance. I just feel like this would have been done at least at some scale. I know there are a few examples of this, but i don't think anything that was ever really common.
    Thoughts?

2. CaptainZoll

CaptainZoll
    Expand Collapse

the thing you may forget is that with a truck, you probably want less weight on the rear axle, since it leaves more room for a higher payload.
    on top of this, most trucks have multiple wheelbases available, some of which would have a permanently mounted upfit on the rear, making access to parts difficult.
    some trucks also need power-take-offs for things like pumps or hydraulic rams, and these can be easily fitted after the transmission in a conventional layout, but when you have a transaxle that all becomes a lot more cramped and complicated.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice