1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

now that steam has been greenlit...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by thevidmaster, Feb 20, 2014.

1. thevidmaster

thevidmaster
    Expand Collapse

since BeamNG has been greenlit i was wondering how and when we are going to get our keys?

2. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

can't say anything on how, but as for when, probably once they have it up on steam early access (so actually released on it)

3. vicnitro

vicnitro
    Expand Collapse

Yeehah Steam finally got greenlighted your title is weird

4. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

it will take some time still.

5. deject3d

deject3d
    Expand Collapse

will steam workshop be integrated into the game at all to manage mods, and if so, will the gaping security hole with mods be fixed?

6. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Workshop wouldnt fix anything on that front...

7. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

I just have to thank you for the laughing fit this created on me, you could say it made my day. ^^

8. jammin2222

jammin2222
    Expand Collapse

Congratulations on the green light!

It is great that this has happened for the company. I just hope that this doesn't mean that in the future you will need to have the steam client running in order to play the game. I have some beef with steam being a bit intrusive and their servers being overly slow. I also don't like the way steam tries to convert a game you haven't brought on steam to use the steam system. Steam keeps trying to convert GTA IV that I bought on games for windows live marketplace and race 07 that I bought on disk to their slow glitch fest of a system. I was foolish enough to let steam do it for Race 07, now I cant just put the disk in and play when ever I like, I have to be online and launch steam and wait forever for an update to download and install before I can play.

I really do hate steam for a lot of things. I wanted to have a play on Half-life2 the other day. I hadn't played it for a few months and sure enough it forced me to wait for 4 days while it downloaded a 900MB update at a pathetic 75 kbps. So I just gave up and played some BeamNg.

Steam's log in system is way to strict, It will never let me log in with my web browser, It keeps emailing me links to click to prove I am me but it still wont let me log in via a web browser. Its good that they are trying to prevent fraud, but if their security means that the user cant even log in then its obviously a broken system. I have contacted steam support several times about not being able to log in but I never get a response from a person, just automated messages with troubleshooting steps. None of which work or apply.

I give steam 8/10 for concept but 1/10 for actual usability.

Rant complete ​

9. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

First one really annoys me too (although launching steam in offline mode fixes that).
    But the second one, never had an issue with web browser login. It remembers me just fine.
    Last time I filed a support ticket I got an automated response to which I responded with it not working and then I had an actual human response after.

10. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

get faster internet, looking at your speed(75kbps blech), that's why its so messed up for you, i give steam a 10/10 for usability, as i've NEVER had any of the problems you've listed EVER -_-

(as for updating: see.PNG just right click on it, go to properties, go to the update tab, tell it to not update, BOOM, you don't have to freaking update -_-, maybe do some research before saying things like that)

11. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

In first he did not say his maximum internet speed is 75kbps, but that steam is only using "pathetic" 75kbps. The use of the word "pathetic" could have suggested that he is used better speed himself too.
    Steam sometimes has problems with their servers and even people with fast dsl connections only get 50kbps from time to time. Even worse, downloads sometimes get interrupted every couple seconds and only happen in small steps. Changing download servers offten but not allways helps.

Also, some updates can be enforced and will be obligatory before you are allowed to restart the game, those are only avoidable by being in offline mode wile hitting the play button. Very rare tho.

12. jammin2222

jammin2222
    Expand Collapse

My internet is way faster than 75 Kbps, Its the steam servers being crap. I should have been able to download that 900 MB update in under 10 mins, but it was saying 4 days to download. I have made sure the bandwidth limiter is disabled too. The last game I bought downloaded at a slightly faster 150 Kbps so I still had to leave my pc on for days......

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind updating games, Just not when steam refuses to allocate proper bandwidth to the process and making the update mandatory.

I can log in with the steam client just fine, just not a web browser ever since I moved house. It keeps saying something like "we notice you are using a different browser or you haven't logged in for a long time, please check your email for some link to verify its you" I do the required steps and try logging in but it just fails every time. I don't know why it cant detect that the client is logged in and put 2 and 2 together and work it out. (I know it doesn't work like that though) Why cant it just accept my login details that are obviously correct and let me log in without the need to verify my account just because I moved house and my connection location has changed.

so yes, overall I wouldn't really say my Steam experience has been that great what with over zealous security blocking my login attempts, and overloaded servers trying to puke out gigabytes of data at Dial-up speeds.

Anyway sorry for hijacking thread with my rant about Steam and congrats on the green light once again. I just hope it doesn't make BeamNG suck.

13. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

Steam runs at 3.6 on my 45 connection. But that isn't what this thread is about really, maybe move back towards subject?

14. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

steam generally runs at 4.2MB/s on my 30/5.92 connection, but yes, lets do what bubble said, and get back on-topic focus.gif

15. Zoidbergs_Lv

Zoidbergs_Lv
    Expand Collapse

Congratulations guys! Looking forward to the Steam release. Also will there be a workshop section?

16. Masterjoc

Masterjoc
    Expand Collapse

Well done.
    Pirated version are now way harder to get.
    Workshop is coming some day.

Cant wait for the race update.

17. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

2nd thing is incorrect, as the normal version is still going to be available for those who don't like steam, and steam workshop is horrible in terms of moderation, which would give all the illegal mod maker's a way to get their mods out, and, because of how hard it would be to moderate a steam workshop, i doubt that it's going to be added, besides, the dev's are already working on a Repository (similar to steam workshop, but probably will be a lot easier for moderators and admins to moderate/administrate

18. Coolstream

Coolstream
    Expand Collapse

#18 Coolstream, Feb 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  19. ast5515

ast5515
    Expand Collapse

That's not 100% sure. Assetto Corsa is on Steam Early Access and the latest version is pirateable no problem. Steam doesn't help much. There are Steam only games that run cracked without the Steam client being installed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice