OK, I have a laptop heat problem

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Kitteh5, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

My laptop (specs down below) gets really hot. Uncomfortably hot. The TMAX is at 85C, but just having YouTube videos playing at 720p with hardware acceleration on (needed for good performance) gets to 68C on my lap (my poor b___s). I put it on a lap desk, it gets to 71C. The RAM also gets pretty hot, although it is not a worry, because it has no heatsink. I cannot control the fan in programs like SpeedFan, and I do not want to take it apart. So, what should I do?

2. daveywaveyHD

daveywaveyHD
    Expand Collapse

Get a cooling tray for the laptop (the ones with fans in).

3. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Thats a reason *to* worry. Heatsinks are used to draw heat away from the component and then radiate it from a larger surface area, can't do that without one :p Most laptops won't have a heatsink though and its more likely CPU/GPU heat warming up the RAM more than anything.

Sounds to me like you need a fresh application of thermal paste and the fans clearing out. Unfortunately for you this involves a screwdriver :p

4. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

ik what you meant when you said it, but i'm sorry, i still have to do this:

Well, you said you have no heatsink, there's your problem ;)

sorry, i had to

well, i would suggest cleaning out the dust from the fans and such, should help a lot (if you haven't done so already)

5. raviem

raviem
    Expand Collapse

laptop not suitable for playing games,I think your should buy the gaming desktop.

6. DrowsySam

DrowsySam
    Expand Collapse

It's a laptop, they get hot, not much you can do.

71c isn't anything to worry about, that's completely safe, laptops are built to withstand lots of heat. Even 80c is fine.

Hell, my old gaming laptop used to run at 90c, not ideal, but it's fine. It gets regular use and is still working perfectly fine today, I honestly wouldn't worry about 71c at all.

7. Doug7070

Doug7070
    Expand Collapse

70 degrees C is fairly hot for a PC to run, either on the CPU or GPU, however it's not a fatal problem.
    If your CPU or GPU goes over 90 degrees C, however, things could go downhill fast, as there are instances where the low quality solder used in consumer PC parts (most laptops and cheaper pre-built desktops) could partially melt and deform from the heat. The 90 degree limit is also generally lower if you're talking about components like hard drives, however they generally don't generate as much heat, meaning that they will mostly only get that hot if they're catching heat from other components.

As was said before, a good option is a cooling pad that either attaches or simply rests on the bottom of the laptop. If possible, get one designed for your specific model.
    Besides that, it's never a good idea to put a laptop under load if it's resting on fabric, such as a bed or when sitting on your actual lap. The cooling system on laptops is at its most effective when placed on a flat, solid surface. If you wanted to try to increase cooling further without a fan pad, you could also place it on some sort of raised wire rack, giving it open air space on the underside.

Long story short, don't panic until it goes over 90 degrees C. While high temperatures will lower your overall lifespan, they shouldn't start to be a serious concern until that point.

8. Svpracer

Svpracer
    Expand Collapse

I have heat *major* heat problems on my 2010 unibody macbook. I have learned that keeping the vents as clear as possible and running as few as possible intensive tasks at once will reduce the computers heat output. also try cleaning out your vents, dust and dirt affect performance. good luck.

9. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

My laptop regularly reaches 80*C and higher when doing intensive tasks... it's perfectly normal and been going strong for three years.

10. SKULL0FD3ATH

SKULL0FD3ATH
    Expand Collapse

even with a gaming laptop they get pretty hot to even if you have good specs, im using the alienware mk14 (dont judge me for using alienware i like there products, k?)

and even it gets hot, so if you dont want heat problems go for a desktop and or a fan for the laptop.

11. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

first of all, i'm not the one who needs help with the laptop, second of all, he's not gaming on it, he's trying to watch youtube video's on it

12. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Or any laptop not covered in stupid plastic alien covers that make it overheat. (sorry had to..)

Open it up and clean the fan. Its probably clogged full of dust. Mine was really bad when i got it and it was only 2 years old, it was reaching 80c at times and it was all because of dust.

Your laptop should have good enough cooling straight from the factory, for everything other than very high stress gaming. No laptop should need a fan tray for YouTube videos :p

13. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

my 2010 macbook pro 13" needs one(dont own one but need one), and the fans are clean. it overheats browsing the internet. and yea cleaning the fans should help

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice