Old School Games

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by SHOme1289, Jun 21, 2014.

1. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

Searched, and besides a few brief mentionings, I decided why not reminisce about old games. I was born in 1989, so the most memories came from the early-mid 2000's. First Favorite game ever was Gran Turismo. Slowly moved on to Viper Racing on the PC, then got into GTA and GTA3. After that, the Sims and Sim City. After that, Street Racing Syndicate and Tokyo Extreme Racer: Zero was another big one. Then it was all Forza until basically BeamNG. Dabbled with NFS, but after Underground 1, was never able to get used to the REDICULOUS driving dynamics in the games, however the Sound recordnings of the cars were always a big plus in the NFS games. What are any thoughts? I found myself thinking about Viper Racing in particular, and so I am in the process of downloading it and installing as many mods as possible so the graphics don't shock me when I open the game lol Im downloading a bunch of old games, and trying to get emulators to work. Any way to get like Gran Turismo to work on the PC, etc? Thought, ideas, and memories welcome!!

2. go14smoke

go14smoke
    Expand Collapse

I used to play Hot Wheels Stunt Track Challenge and NFS Hot Pursuit 2 a TON. Good times.

3. n0ah1897

n0ah1897
    Expand Collapse

I really started to get into gaming when I was 5. My parents bought me the playstation 2 for my 5th birthday with ATV offroad fury. I loved that game so much. Most of my childhood was spent playing Star Wars battlefront, Lego star wars, MX unleased, atv off road fury, midnight club 3, nfs hot pursuit 3, etc... Then in eighth grade I found minecraft which ultimately brought me to the world of PC gaming.

4. IBsenoj

IBsenoj
    Expand Collapse

hmm lets see, half-life, any racing game, annnd, half-life.

5. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

I've been playing through DOOM II with the brutal doom mod atop GZDOOM (the best DOOM source port out there in my opinion).

6. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

Well i play the windows pinball, i need to get more dos games for one of my machines that can run dos, played tetris on windows 3.1
    consoles here is what i do.
    i have a nes, 11 games, my favorite being the mario series,
    8 gameboys i love the pokemon series, mainly yellow, gold and sapphire.
    and a play station 1. only have one game. anyone got any recommendations?

7. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

DOOM, DOOM II, Quake.

Actually if you purchase doom on steam they simply supply the original dos executable for the doom engine, the original .WAD file and then throw in dosbox for good measure. I found doom under dosbox on windows 8 pointless though when there are plenty of source ports for the actual engine to modern systems.

8. msurf15

msurf15
    Expand Collapse

Wellllllllllllll my gaming life as a whole is like the weirdest (and the best) of all gaming life's (notice the sarcasm).

So my first console was a PlayStation 1 from my friend who didn't want it. I was like 6 at the time. I had these two games that engolfed my whole life for like a year and a half. One was like a snowboarding game and the other was mx vs atv. After like a year and a half or so my ps1 broke from my sister stepping on it and got some plastic pusjed through her foot :/. Poor PlayStation XD... So it was broke. That Christmas my parents bought me a ps2 and i loved it. They also introduced me to T rated games... (what great parents.... jk) from that point on I had the greatest time with mx vs atv games and skateboarding and stuff. After a while I got bored of the games and decided I wanted more T rated games.... (you can all see where this is going)....Skipping ahead like 5 years I am now 14 and have all the COD games and WAW and COD 4 and yea... pretty much all the shoot em up games.... Oh and also I had bought Minecraft at the age of 10 or 11. Which opened me up to PC games. And finally I bought Beam around the end of 2013 (mid november)...

and thats pretty much it... I have a ton more but I don't want to waste my time writing a thesis....

9. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

delving a little deeper in my past:
    Crash Bandicoot
    Jet Moto
    GT 2 and 3 and 4
    Worms Armageddon (<<<My 2nd PC game that I got really into, around 9 or 10 years old)
    Driver, Driver 2 and Driv3r
    Stuntman
    Street Racing Syndicate (SRS)
    Driving Emotion Type S
    Enthusia
    Halo 1 (never after 1 did I play another Halo game, its just the best)
    Jurassic Park 1 (on Sega Genesis!!!)
    Unreal Tournament (<<<My first PC game, I was like 8 and my uncle introduced it to me lmao) ((FLAK cannon FTW))
    QUAKE was a worthy menton^^^ def another good one...
    HalfLife (the original)
    Goldeneye 007 on N64 (cmon, everyone loved that game)
    Cruisin' USA (another N64)

wow I can keep going, theres so many memories. and a lot of friends that are no longer my friend, mostly due to "game rage fights" and resulted in broken gaming equipment, etc. yea, we played real hardcore back in the 90's lol

- - - Updated - - -

Gran Turismo, and...hmm, don't rmber too many PS1 games. I used to have a TON...***oh yea, 2xtreme was a cool game, I played that a few months ago with a friend that dusted off his PS1. the graphix!!! :x

10. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

no quake, no half life. Valve licenced and then modified the quake engine to produce goldsrc which half life runs on. Source still apparently has a few lines of legacy code left from goldsrc. No doom, no money for ID, no quake D: Darkplaces is a pretty decent quake engine port if you want to run it on a modern system, just provide the original content files although I think the original windows executable runs ok as is, darkplaces uses OpenGL and does feature a few graphics effects that just werent possible back then though, manages to stay modern yet faithful.
    As for half life (the original). I think both are good tbh.

11. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

a lot of that ^ was kinda foreign to me, vocabulary wise...I could spend some time on google though and try and get them to work...I swear, I still have some of those games on CD-R, when back then you could just, like, burn a direct copy of the disc. my uncle was the computer wiz in my family, and was all about sharing the wealth. I have half-life orange box set un-opened too.

edit: its crazy, too, how these old, primitive, low-quality games are so hard to get working, (well, at least to a regular civilian, not a computer-global systems analyst/FBI/Marine computer physicist like you lol)...one more to add to my list, GTA1, the original top-down version. THAT I wanna get to work, hau? "Bubba's gettin horny, get him a bitch"...I read that out loud one day, and my mom heard me (It was on PS1) and took that game away and hid it...I wound up fining it like a year later on top of her armoire lol

- - - Updated - - -

how is it that GTA4 runs like complete crap on my laptop, but BEAM runs easily 30fps on high settings except lighting and postfx?

12. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Its computer systems engineering student :p

Lets go back to the early 90's when ID were developing Doom. John Carmack (full time fucking legend is a term that applies strongly to this man) was responsible for programming the game. He decided in his great wisdom that the code for the game itself and all the content files for the game (maps, enemies, weapons, textures etc etc) should be entirely seperate. He devised a plan of having a game engine which when started up would look for a file known as a WAD file, this file would store all the data for the game itself, the engine would load the data in from this file and put it together to make the game. It happens to be the only difference between the actual program for doom and doom 2 is that doom didn't *automatically* recognise "doom2.wad" as being a valid wad file and was only aware of "doom.wad" and "doom1.wad" whereas doom 2 was aware of all 3. If you go and buy both doom and doom 2, remove doom2.wad from the doom 2 folder and replace it with doom.wad from the original game, run doom2 and it will load the original game because that is the content file which is present. Its pretty much the same way microsoft word loads .doc files, in this case the doom engine is microsoft word and its loading .wad files which are full of game content rather than .doc files full of text.
    Eventually ID actually released all the source code for the doom engine under an open source license. They didnt release the original games .wad files as freeware though, they still need obtaining from steam or the original CDs. But with the engine code freely available it let a few software guys tinker with it, the doom engine is now available on almost every platform (I have it on my DS, phone and PSP), some versions of it are 100% faithful to the original (chocolatedoom is the best version if you are after that) and some added lots of new shiny features (I use GZDoom which uses OpenGL for drawing whereas the original was software drawn, has extra light and particle effects not present in the original game and has full vertical aiming). Both chocolatedoom and GZDoom come as normal windows executable files and run fine on 64 bit windows 8, all you have to do is find an original doom CD, find doom.wad from it, copy it into the chocolate doom or gzdoom folders and run chocolatedoom.exe or gzdoom.exe and it will run perfectly on a modern system (try 1366*768 on the original game :p Works fine under GZDoom).

The quake engine did the same thing but instead of having 1 .WAD file had several .pk files in a folder which if memory serves right was called ID1, so for darkplaces, copy ID1 from the original quake game into your darkplaces folder and it will run just fine under windows 8 64 bit again.

Quake and doom are kinda the exceptions. With the code available it means that people have been able to modify the code itself to run on new systems, unlike GTA where its a case of us having to find external ways to force it to run on modern systems, I have the CD for GTA but can't get it to run on windows 8 or dosbox (DOS emulator). I did have DOOM, DOOM II and Quake CDs but dunno whats happened to them over the years, long gone now :(

13. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

good read, thanks for breaking some of that down...

that being said, im working on getting GTA1 to work. stay tuned...speaking of old school games lol

one more to add: midtown madness!!! uhhhh that game was one of my favs.

14. Car crusher

Car crusher
    Expand Collapse

Grand turismo 4
    Nfs underground 2
    Nfs carbon
    Nfs hot pursuit
    Nfs most wanted
    Nfs underground
    Nfs... Idk(?)
    gta 1
    gta 2
    Driver
    Driver 2
    Driv3r
    gta sa
    space rebellion(?)
    Grand turismo 3
    v8 racing (?)
    (don't remember what it's called xD)
    ace combat
    ace combat 2
    doooooom!
    Cod
    minecraft(?)
    (when it was first released)

sent from my shitty playstation 2.

#14 Car crusher, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  15. xKryptx

xKryptx
    Expand Collapse

Hehehehe... OK I'll start with some real classics.

HotWheels
    [MEDIA=youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktPcoP2925Y[/MEDIA]

Carnage
    [MEDIA=youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e3XI5gM3MM[/MEDIA]

MicroPower
    [MEDIA=youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE6V0Y4ci6s[/MEDIA]

Castlevania
    [MEDIA=youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSiXdRJDAEM[/MEDIA]

Super Mario Bros
    [MEDIA=youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia8bhFoqkVE[/MEDIA]

DR. Mario
    [MEDIA=youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ziH6tVJwEU[/MEDIA]

Alex the Kidd
    [MEDIA=youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb9haoWT5js[/MEDIA]

The Incredible Crash Test Dummies
    [MEDIA=youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TqqITho-oc[/MEDIA]

Umm I could go on and on and on and on with this list.....

Ultima - VII (8) Pagan (DOS)
    [MEDIA=youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9AaSIwGGys[/MEDIA]

S.O.S (Sink or Swim)
    [MEDIA=youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI61jYDJ6rk[/MEDIA]

Hover (Windows 95 PLUS)

[MEDIA=youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXByOdwBR6U[/MEDIA]

And I think that will do for now... >.> yeah... I'm getting old :(

16. pickle330

pickle330
    Expand Collapse

The games that come to mind for me, would be Mariokart Double Dash (my first game) Midtown Maddness 2 (First PC game) Motocross Maddness 2 (got in a bundle with Midtown Maddness, second PC game) and a bunch of other games for the Nintendo Gamecube (still my favourite game console) including, Super Mario Sunshine, Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2 (with helicopters that drop bombs! yes... I don't get why EA put them in the game either...), Super Smash Bros. Melee, Sonic Heroes, Spongebob Squarepants The Movie Videogame, etc. Also some DS games like, Diddy Kong Racing, and Yoshi's Island.

17. GabrielFarre

GabrielFarre
    Expand Collapse

MY first game of race was Collin mcrae 1995 (1)

18. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Test Drive Off Road... the original... thats what started it all
    I used to play that on my old DOS computer all the time :p

#18 atv_123, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  19. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

I used to play TDOR all the time!!! That's another title that eluded me when I made my list...

ALSO, I have been putzing around with emulators on my craptop...I got PS1 and PS2 emulators working perfectly, however I cannot get GTA3 to stop with these flashing lines screaming across the screen,....tried all different settings, but nothing fixes, only makes the graphics choppier/smoother and FPS rates to increase/decrease. Having a lot of fun with Tokyo Extreme Racer 3 at the moment, since it is the best emulation that I have so far. Didn't realize that emulators for these "shitty" old games really uses a lot of resources...But I guess it is emulating the entire PS2 firmware etc.

20. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

It also Emulates the entire PS1/PS2 Hardware for the firmwares to run in... thats why the emulators are so CPU intensive and slow on games that your computer would otherwise just laugh at. As for a good game to try, try out Midnight Club 3 Dub Edition Remix... I am more of a simulation or NFS kinda guy but when it came to pure fun... nothing on the PS2 for racing games even came close for me!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice