On the Road (Euro truck sim alternative)

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by fufsgfen, Jun 1, 2019.

1. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Has anyone else tested this?
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/285380/On_The_Road/

Out of curiosity I did try that and while it has pretty good vision, I'm not sure if that developer is actually capable of making such demanding project.

They have made Bride! and Bridge2! games that are on Steam, with mostly negative reviews.

Also they have made Utility vehicle simulator and Transport simulator, gameplay videos on youtube show that while they have great vision and their games add something that has been missing from such games (mostly first person walking and handling of packages etc.) Textures are terrible, driving is not so good, sounds lack, very low standard games to my eyes.

So now (well, for a while now) they are trying to challenge SCS in truck sims and after trying their game, somehow I think they are trying to bite bit too big.

Game is much better on many aspects than what current reviews show, however it is also worse in a way.

Some issues, which might get improved as game is in Early Access.

Performance:
    -Not good
    -Actually uses all 12 threads and none shows maxed out in task manager
    -CPU limited still, i7-8086k 4.3Ghz gave me 45-50fps at city, while 5Ghz on all cores improved that to 57fps, GPU (gtx 1080) was used around 50% at most.

Visuals:
    -Shadows have weird grainy look, no matter if you select hard or soft or whatever shadow quality you set.
    -Some road and building textures looks like they would be from 2001 or from Google Earth.
    upload_2019-6-1_22-37-30.png

Physics:
    -Super fake
    -I did test with controller, but even throttle is really odd, throttle is like on/off above 80kph, but at slow speeds it has at least some modulation.
    -Inertia and mass are not working even close to real world specs
    -Coasting is kind of nicely working though

Gameworld:
    -In many ways much better than in ETS2, definitely they have great vision of how to game world should be
    -Cities are nicely bigger and roads are more like real roads compared to ETS2
    -Everything just looks bit yesterday games, textures especially are quite low resolution.
    -Traffic lights are super bad, red light burns almost white etc.

There is also no distance to destination, ETA or anything like that.

Worst for me is though that physics are not really simulated, while driving looks convincing, collisions as well as taking turns at too high speed makes it apparent there is no any kind of proper tire model used or any proper inertia, it is all just made to look like something excepted.

I doubt that this game will ever become anything proper as such shortcuts have been taken.

2. RenAzuma66

RenAzuma66
    Expand Collapse

Hello, did you ever play fernbus?
    If so how's the fps compared to that?
    Was thinking to get this but hearing those fake physics now I will not.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice