1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Online Multiplayer (for real!)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by thestig_46, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Kefko

Kefko
    Expand Collapse

Can confirm, it works! with massive amounts of lag and constant issues that caused me to just go back to browsing mods

2. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Thats why there is no multiplayer in this game, its the compression of all of that data and sending it around the place

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Kefko

Kefko
    Expand Collapse

It's hellishly bad when more than one high-speed softbody collision happens. My FPS dropped from 60 to .2

4. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Thats the reason why Multiplayer is NEVER happening in this game in a million years :p

5. Kefko

Kefko
    Expand Collapse

Nope.

6. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

And everyone asks this "Please Add multiplayer" and we have to give the response "Do you want this game to work, Yes, then No Multiplayer, if you want this game to be broken, then We add Multiplayer"

7. Kefko

Kefko
    Expand Collapse

Worst part is, there are people on both sides here.

8. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, they need to be educated by a senior member like myself I have been on here for almost 7 years, I know as much as I do from my 7 years on here and they just dont get the message and whats worse than the Multiplayer fanatics....the Console Peasants referencing a Dan Bull song there sorry!, who want Beam on PS4 and Xbox, um no, both are fanatical about it at times and it takes a cool head to say "Get a grip and its not happening for these 55 reasons"

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kefko

Kefko
    Expand Collapse

E X A C T L Y. People come on and think that the devs are just crap or smth because "hE cOuLd JuSt MaKe MuLtIpLaYeR"

10. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Yeah the entire thing you just cant do it and I have seen it on youtube a few clickbaity videos about how to do it and stuff and its all a lie its using the Multiseat functions on the game to pull off the trick

11. Taza

Taza
    Expand Collapse

It's just a matter of time when we get multiplayer. I accept it's hard to make, but it's not impossible. It's either the devs who make an actual road map and an action plan and create a functional multiplayer in a year, or some random modders 10 years from now. Beamng is the kind of game people will be playing far into the future, thanks to it's support for modding and fairly good physics interpretation. You can even find some working multiplayer mods today.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

I know what you mean by it but chance of it happening in the next year or so, that will be quite low within 10 years, its possible for it to happen but we cant predict it yet, so its just to wait and see maybe a BeamNG April fools gag or something coming in April

13. Paul-Simon

Paul-Simon
    Expand Collapse

Are you guys forgetting about the actual multiplayer mod?

14. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Do you mean the one by Chris Lucas? yeah I was involved in the Development of that and it was a buggy mess and he gave up on it

15. Haida

Haida
    Expand Collapse

I think he's talking about BeamNG-MP.

16. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

Estama said that those mods are going to hit a wall sooner or later (Whats the devs reaction on the multiplayer mod?). Still, they are better than nothing.

Hopefully the team can get Steam to allow steam's parsec like system to be enabled even though the game doesn't have a multiplayer tag. That would be as close as we can hope for in the near future.

As for "proper" multiplayer, personally I'd be fine with just ghost cars. That should massively cut down on the stuff that has to be transmitted and how precise it has to be, since the cars wouldn't be interacting with eachother. That would allow for no-contact forms of motor sport, like drag racing and sensible track racing, which would be great for those of us who see the game as more than a crashing sim.

#56 ManfredE3, Feb 26, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  17. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Ahh okay thanks, I was wondering about that, I havent heard much about it so sorry my knowledge is of an earlier project so better keep me out of the BeamNG-MP stuff please

18. Kefko

Kefko
    Expand Collapse

Yep. Somebody's gonna crack this crap wiiiiide open. It may not be now, but it's possible in the future. It's not gonna be me doing it, it's going to be someone with more programming experience, but still...

Note: Most "multiplayer mods" are just modded multi-seat, and i think this thread is aiming more for standard-integrated multiplayer.
    --- Post updated ---
    Oh, you mean that buggy shitshow that could barely run? Yeah! Kappa.

19. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

it's not

about the amount

of data

for collision MP

it's the l a t e n c y

the game runs at 2000hz

you can hardly get 0.5ms round-trip times with meaningful information inside a supercomputer, let alone multiple back and forth communications

it doesn't even scale well across CPUs in multi-socket motherboards (at least from earlier this decade)

you cannot get it on commodity networking hardware

you cannot get it on the internet

you cannot predict, it will be inaccurate

until we get quantum communication, it will be impossible

this is actually one of those things that stadia would be good for, if you could race with 100+ms of input lag

#59 TechnicolorDalek, Feb 27, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 4
  20. GotNoSable!

GotNoSable!
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Ah yes, the actual worst console.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice