Option to prevent "BeamNG feedback reporter" to open browser

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Stian Aarskaug, May 3, 2015.

?

When the game opens your browser without asking first:

1. ...it have no significance for me.

12 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. ...I'd prefer an option to turn it on/off.

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Stian Aarskaug

Stian Aarskaug
    Expand Collapse

When I submit feedback, or when the game crashes (which has been quite some times now) the crash reporter opens the image in my browser, which I'd rather be without. You see, when this happens all of my ~400 tabs are opened at once. I know it's not normal for people to have several hundred tabs, but that's pretty usual for me. Currently I use another browser with 32 windows and probably 4-500 tabs (not default browser). And yes, there's use in every one of them. Either there's research I started or stuff I'm not done with (I multitask a lot).

Anyways, I think there should be an option for this either way. I don't like it when the game opens my browser without asking, and I'd rather tick an option for it to never to this instead of having to choose "no" every time the game wants to crash, submit reports etc.

Suggestion of improvement:
    1) Never open the browser without asking, provide option to "never open in browser".
    2) Build this feature into the feedback reporter, so that it opens the image in an standalone program instead of the browser. With export and edit possibilities. Edit could be useful when the game automaticly makes the report and you'd want to add information, either by text or drawing.

#1 Stian Aarskaug, May 3, 2015
    Last edited: May 3, 2015
  2. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

Why we added that: the user should be able to post the screenshot in the forums or alike, and just setting the clipboard to its URL would be even more in-transparent to the user. I don't know how to solve that without adding an option for this and such making the system more complex.

3. Stian Aarskaug

Stian Aarskaug
    Expand Collapse

I understand, but just an option to open in browser should do, it's really inconvenient, besides the prinsiple that the software should always ask. The image could be saved in a folder in beamng directory when auto opened. It could be an "advanced option" or even a console tweak (if the console work globally). Either is fine for me as long as there is a way to tweak. I am a fan of setting scripts or console settings (on a side note, in the final version, a settings script file (txt, cfg...) for backup and edit would be really cool. The game would get it's settings from this cfg file on starup.).

I honestly can't see how it could get much more complex with just a simple option like this. :) I don't have much programming experience, but in my imagination it wouldn't be a lot of work. I really appreciate if you choose to improve upon this.

4. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

I'll add a second button then when i find some more time.

5. Stian Aarskaug

Stian Aarskaug
    Expand Collapse

Thank you very much!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice