out of gas

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by bradlylewis22, Oct 18, 2020.

1. bradlylewis22

bradlylewis22
    Expand Collapse

when you are out of gas on a car you should be able to hear the starter motor and have the engine attempt to start and sometimes actually start, just to putter out a minute later

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 2
  2. WhatNot98

WhatNot98
    Expand Collapse

Yeah thats a pretty cool detail

3. bradlylewis22

bradlylewis22
    Expand Collapse

exactly

4. Phym

Phym
    Expand Collapse

But why? That’d probably make a whole lot of people angry.

5. bradlylewis22

bradlylewis22
    Expand Collapse

because the game is about realism is a simulation its supposed to be as realistic as possible, this is realistic

6. Phym

Phym
    Expand Collapse

Ok I get it but that’s taking it too far. Because there’s the thing of, “well what if you have a new starter?”. The start your car idea is good enough. Maybe a modder could do it.

7. bradlylewis22

bradlylewis22
    Expand Collapse

nothing is taking it too far

8. Phym

Phym
    Expand Collapse

Well, tell me that when you try to start your car in Beam, only for it to not start and you get plowed by a semi because this idea was somehow implemented.

9. bradlylewis22

bradlylewis22
    Expand Collapse

that would be your fault for not putting enough gas in your car

10. Phym

Phym
    Expand Collapse

What if the tank is full? This idea is stupid.

11. bradlylewis22

bradlylewis22
    Expand Collapse

then the car will run normally you idiot

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

And considering how he's completely centered on "100% realism", that would mean making gas stations completely functional and r e a l i s t i c.

13. Phym

Phym
    Expand Collapse

Now that’s a good idea. Working gas stations, of course, it’s probably not going to come anytime son :T

14. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

And even then, they're not that common in all the maps so it would kinda be inconvenient to have deplorable gas be made default in all the maps like pure grid.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Phym

Phym
    Expand Collapse

Hence my point of,”not going to come anytime soon”. Kind of a shame.

16. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

Am I missing something here?..

Vehicles already use gas, gas tanks are already finite, gas stations already work (in scenarios at least).... When you currently run out of gas the engine "locks up", this suggestion is to have it putter out properly.

So the only change would be a sound effect and the engine struggling when nearly empty?.. Which isn't exactly a big deal from a gameplay perspective. You're already out of gas, it just adds 10 seconds of "oh great" to the ordeal the player is already in.

So why the fuss here? There is virtually nothing to effect gameplay in this suggestion, just a quality of life addition to the drivetrain audio/physics.

I remember one of the devs saying that new data collection added a few months ago showed that the average lifespan of Beam cars is like 2mn. Which means major changes would need to occur for most players to even realize that 10 whole seconds was added to their running out of gas routine, and if they get mad over that ordeal lasting an extra 10 seconds then this is the wrong game for them. I haven't even ever run out of gas and my main thing in Beam is hotlapping around the three official racetracks we have.

What would be different from the way they are currently implemented? We can already pull into gas stations and refuel when we are out of gas. The code is there, just not active in free roam. Play a scenario that involves refueling and see. There's no economy to it at the moment, but money isn't properly implemented currently so...

#16 ManfredE3, Oct 18, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
  17. Harkin Gaming

Harkin Gaming
    Expand Collapse

I think you are misunderstanding the idea. When you run the car out of gas you can try and start it a few times and it might fire up again briefly. The car would work normally otherwise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Phym

Phym
    Expand Collapse

Why not just have it not start? Or start on low gas?

19. Trophy

Trophy
    Expand Collapse

wait phym, your account is as old as my laptop, which is the same as my laptop!

• Like Like x 1
  20. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

What the OP says is more realistic than what is currently implemented. Since Beam is a sim it would be nice to have that feature. Even if Beam wasn't a sim, it would just be a nice quality of life feature.

Currently when you run out of gas the engine "locks up". Try to start the car and you get nothing. If you change the fuel level in the tuning menu, the car will only start with .3L or more, else it will act as if it is empty. But if you naturally run low on fuel it will start normally up the the point where you are officially "out" of fuel.

Realistically, as OP is suggesting, the car should struggle when you are low on fuel (low as in fraction of a liter) but the starter should do it's thing since it still has electrical power.

• Agree Agree x 6
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice