Overclocking Help

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Cardinal799, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

I have just today gotten my new cooler to my CPU, and it is much better at cooling compared to stock.

To give you an idea of how bad my old cooler was, well, I was able to run an approximately two minute Prime95 test and reach 65C. After two minutes on this cooler, it stays at 35C, so that is quite a difference (plus it is much quieter).

I am creating this thread primarily for help with overclocking, now that I can properly cool my CPU, and so I do not keep clogging another thread, where this all started.

I am still quite new to overclocking, but I have managed to apply an overclock (a quite unstable one) to my PC before without any immediate damage.

I plan to get to around 4GHz, or 3.8 at a debatable minimum, for the overclock. Also, if I end up posting that I am about to do something, I will usually wait for an approval from whoever is directing the procedure.

2. AirSKiller

AirSKiller
    Expand Collapse

You can easily get that CPU to @4.5GHz, just take your time, google some guides (make sure they are for AMD FX series CPU's) and try... It's pretty much trial and error until you get really close :)

3. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

Currently doing a test at 4GHz. Up to 40C (105F) so far and only ten minutes in. I also heard 5 clicks come from somewhere in my computer or it could have been my hard drive D:

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, so I am at 4.0GHz now, and I was in a bit of a pickle yesterday.

I think the clicks are from my hard drive, because whenever I go into the BIOS menu, I think it stops my external HDD from running, and yes it is not a click of death. However, I do hear what sounds like the prongs plinking on something at random times (very metallic sounding, tiny-noise but not quiet thing). I did some Prime 95 tests, and it seems as if I would be able to run non-stop for 5-8 hours until I get to 60C.

4. AirSKiller

AirSKiller
    Expand Collapse

Temps should stop going up after a while (My CPU climbs from 25ºC (Idle) to 45ºC (Stressed) very fast in the first 10 seconds then takes 15-20 minutes to climb a couple more degrees while the liquid inside the CPU cooler heats up. AMD CPU's tend to have a slower climb rate though, so 30-45 minutes in water cooling or 10-15 in air cooling is expected).

Try to get to 4.5GHz, 4.0GHz isn't much for that CPU... What cooler do you have?

5. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

Look in my signature. I will try in a little bit.

6. AirSKiller

AirSKiller
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, that's a decent cooler, should get you to @4.5 GHz.

After running Prime95 for just 10 minutes are there any errors or messages at @4.0GHz? What are your temps and voltages while running Prime?

7. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

I get no errors or anything at 4 from Prime, and I get up to around 45C (100F is what I know) after ten minutes. I tried upping it (and at 4 I don't have to change voltage at all :D ) yesterday and it was BSOD-orama. I will try today, now that I have played and I can withstand some fury.

8. AirSKiller

AirSKiller
    Expand Collapse

Be careful! When you change core clocks your motherboard might (and most of the times does) change your voltages to try to keep your system stable, and most of the times it will pump more volts than those that the chip needs...
    What are your voltages?

9. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

No worries, I manualized the voltages. It is around 1.3625V (Minimum right now) for CPU, 1.25V for Vcore I think (They are all pretty much at the lowest setting). I know about the whole voltage thing and how it will kill your computer if set too high.

10. AirSKiller

AirSKiller
    Expand Collapse

Yep, those are good :)
    Although I'm not a fan of manually set voltages because then the CPU can't lower them automatically when not under load
    I'm using 'Offset mode' instead and my CPU at @4.0GHz (I have 2 profiles, one for rendering (the one in the signature - @4.5GHz) and one for normal usage (running right now - @4.0GHz) sits at ~0.700V idling and when under load jumps to ~1.050V.
    Maybe try Offsetting too, just my 2 cents

11. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

Now remember, unless if I can have a video skype thing with one of you guys, I have the quite large possibility of doing something wrong. I will attempt it maybe right now. (just the 4.5GHz OC not the offset thing)

12. AirSKiller

AirSKiller
    Expand Collapse

Dial the voltage to 1.4V at @4.5GHz and try to boot :)
    My Skype is somewhat private, but I could add you if you need help

13. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

Nah, if that happens to you then you should enable/disable some feature in your bios. I have my 2500k at 4ghz with manual voltage and right now is sitting at 1.6Ghz and lower voltage. Auto voltages are always excessive.

14. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

I know. I set it to auto before, and at the default clock speed, it automatically pumped it to 1.5V. Xypex yelled at me for it lol. That is why I do not use auto.

I also now am going to P95 test 4.2, with normal voltages. 4.5 seems to fail no matter what, and I also learned that RAM doesn't want to be changed (system didn't boot, yey Gigabyte failsafe methods)

15. AirSKiller

AirSKiller
    Expand Collapse

I don't use Auto, I use Offset and yes, my Intel rig seems to decrease the voltage automatically while idling even when using Manual (Although it would idle at ~0.775 and not 0.700 like now with Offset). But while OCing my brother's FX I could only get it to go lower while idling when using Offset, Manual would force voltages at always 1.35V (like I set them).

- - - Updated - - -

Don't OC the RAM, it's useless and can bring instability.
    Try @4.5GHz at 1.45V (if temps are fine)

16. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

I will try when I get home.

17. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

You should also check the performance OC vs non OC. Sometimes it's not worth it pushing it too much. I had mine at 4.5 and then lowered it to 4, because to be honest there was almost no difference in gaming but an extra 20 Watts :p

18. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

I'm personally happy with 4GHz, and until I start doing 450 car traffic jams, I should be fine.

19. AirSKiller

AirSKiller
    Expand Collapse

More than 6 cars will probably be unplayable, both at 4.0 and 4.5GHz...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice