1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Paid Mods

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Matthew2992, May 14, 2017.

?

Would you pay a small amount of money for a well produced mod?

1. Yes

31.2%
  2. No

68.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew2992

Matthew2992
    Expand Collapse

Sorry if this may have already been posted before; I couldn't find anything directly related in my 20 seconds of searching.

I'm proposing a paid mods system that would be beneficial for the modding situation of this game. It would let authors receive a much deserved reward for their hard work and would also stimulate new authors to produce quality mods for the game. Of course there will be some people that completely disagree with this proposition but I can't see anything wrong with paying a few dollars to get a quality mod.

Authors can still produce mods free of charge, it will ultimately be their choice whether or not people pay for their mod.

Special 'Mod Moderators' would review the quality of the mod targeting aspects such as model quality, jbeam accuracy and features.

I honestly do believe this will see an increase in mod frequency and quality.

Please consider this proposition.

Cheers,
    Matt

2. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

I'm not sure how that would work with copyright, and I've been against the concept since day one. Every game that tries to do paid mods turns into a mess pretty quickly.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Matthew2992

Matthew2992
    Expand Collapse

4. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Pretty much the thread that Darren linked. The idea is pretty much the same.

Also (personal opinion incoming) some people do not realize the amount of work and time it takes to make a quality mod.

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Nathan24™

Nathan24™
    Expand Collapse

That is what donating is for. If you have to pay money to get mods, BeamNG won't be the same anymore. :(

#4 Nathan24™, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 15, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 8
  6. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

How about no? I don't want to see BeamNG end up like some others that I know of.

I'd be more than happy to donate to modders, but I wouldn't pay for their content. I understand that it's a lot of hard work and time consuming to create mods, but I don't see any good reason to put a price tag on it. Sounds like a wrong and unfair thing to do.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

Sounds like DLC

*Glares at EA*

8. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

Also, didn't Skyrim do this? I heard that they did, and it failed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

I heard it was an absolute mess.

I'll look it up right now.

10. Rainvest

Rainvest
    Expand Collapse

I paid 20$ for this game. I obviously deserve to get free mods.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. iheartmods

iheartmods
    Expand Collapse

I'm not set on having to pay for mods on here however, I think the website here should incorporate some sort of donation system so people can go that extra step in appreciating a mod if they so desired.

• Agree Agree x 8
  12. crashmaster

crashmaster
    Expand Collapse

like every mod from every game, its usually something that someone wants to do in their spare time. in my opinion, a paid mod should be someone who "hires" a modder to make a certain mod. i dont think that paying to get a mod is a good idea and i dont think its ever going to be a good idea.
    either, do it yourself, or pay someone else to do it for you.

paid mods is just a mess and it will do more trouble then anything else. it didnt go well for skyrim, i highly doubt it will go nicely for beamng.
    i know some would like to get support or things like that. its extremely rare that anyone will donate, but paid mods is not the way to go. because i know that those russians will just leak those "paid" mods everywhere in no time.

• Agree Agree x 5
  13. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

Just realized that there were more modders in the No vote than the Yes. Seems that the modders don't support this, although they would benefit. Most likely, this idea simply won't work.

I am for donations, but not flat out paid mods. We all saw the disaster that was skyrim paid mods.

And Nadeox voted yes... Weird. :confused:

14. TYLERTJ

TYLERTJ
    Expand Collapse

Almost every BeamNG update breaks vehicle mods, so you might be left with something you paid a decent amount of money for that doesn't even function properly. Most mods that have been released are not up to date. Think about all that wasted money...

• Agree Agree x 6
  15. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

If the sun goes out or we all die or something, mods will still get uploaded by the russians. It's like a force of nature.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. burilkovdeni

burilkovdeni
    Expand Collapse

Also what if you paid for a mod, then an update breaks it and the mod maker went offline from BeamNG.DRIVE forums forever.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. iheartmods

iheartmods
    Expand Collapse

Yes, that's right. Even as a modder, using my head, this would be detrimental to the community and game at large. It would take away a huge part of the charm.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

But why nadeox? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he gets paid because he's a dev. I'm curious where he's coming from.

19. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

From another perspective making money from mods would allow me to actually work on mods vs doing other freelance and dev work which takes up alot of my time and I wouldn't want to spend my free time doing whats basically more work.

But I totally get where you are coming from with the idea that it wouldn't help the community much as a whole, there are way too many aspects to it.

20. iheartmods

iheartmods
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, would rather not compete
    He's a staff member. He's paid to moderate the forums, not make mods.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice