PBR for objects

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by el_ferrito, Jan 1, 2022.

1. el_ferrito

el_ferrito
    Expand Collapse

I've been using Materialize to generate PBR textures. I get a heightmap texture from this. I wondered if there was somewhere I was supposed to use this for v1.5 materials for assets (not ground textures or cars, but static objects). At the moment, I'm struggling to get the material.json format correct for PBR static objects. Is there an example one around I can use as a template?

Thanks in advance.

(I've already been through the tutorials, but to no avail)

• Like Like x 2
  2. AlexKidd71

AlexKidd71
    Expand Collapse

Same here. My Materialize Work looks very different in BeamNG. In downloadable assets there is very often one map for metallicroughness and it’s yellowish. Not quite clear for me what to do with it. I grayscale it and import it to roughness most of the time. But to be honest I have no real clue.

3. el_ferrito

el_ferrito
    Expand Collapse

Worth looking at the roughness vs smoothness. It's been a while, but I'm fairly sure Materialize outputs smoothness, and you have to invert the colours for BeamNG materials, which use roughness. Could be wrong and could be the other way round.

https://documentation.beamng.com/modding/materials/materials_1.5/ This is the documentation. But no mention of the heightmap (which I see as one of the bigger draws to PBR over the old style).

• Like Like x 1
  4. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

PBR doesn't use heightmaps in BeamNG, it uses normal maps so that you don't have to convert normal maps from old materials to heightmaps. You can easily convert any heightmap to a normal map though, there is plenty of software that can do it.

5. el_ferrito

el_ferrito
    Expand Collapse

But Materialize, and other PBR software appears to have both a normal and a heightmap. The normal only does so much, whereas the HM does a lot more.

See here for a description of the difference:
    https://www.cgdirector.com/normal-vs-displacement-vs-bump-maps/ (I'm guessing HM is displacement map here).

But the difference in Materialize is very noticeable. With HM applied it looks suddenly real, whereas a normal just makes it look better.

From the article though it is clear HMs are very resource intensive, so this will be why they aren't used in BeamNG, which is already doing so much elsewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  6. AlexKidd71

AlexKidd71
    Expand Collapse

I make some experiments with Quixel Mixer at the moment and it’s quite promising from the first results I see.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice