1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Pc build

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pillojon106, Jan 16, 2015.

1. pillojon106

pillojon106
    Expand Collapse

I'm building a computer for my brother and he wants to max out EVERY GAME at 1080p. He wants the x99 platform and his budget is $2500-$3000. The parts he wants is a corsair ax1200i and a corsair air 540. This is the current build but I think it is way to expensive though...
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JkGk7P also he wants a black and white color scheme.

2. ItaliAsian

ItaliAsian
    Expand Collapse

Is the computer just for gaming?

Why x99? If he is just gaming there wouldn't be any performance increase over z97.

Why the i7-5960x, It is way too expensive for gaming, an i7-4790k would offer the same gaming performance for $650 cheaper.

1200w is way overkill. You can run quad sli 980's on 1200w, a single gpu system doesn't need more than 750w.

That motherboard you chose doesn't have a m-sata slot, so why did you choose a m-sata ssd?

You didn't choose a hard drive, you can fill a 500gb ssd pretty quickly.

The stock fans on the Air 540 suck, the bearings failed on me after 8 months. So I wouldn't recommend any corsair fans.

You said he wants a black and white build, why not choose the white Air 540?

Why the wireless logitech mouse and keyboard? Why not a mechanical keyboard and wired mouse like a logitech g500?

I made some changes that will save him money and will give a better user experience. The only thing I can't choose for him is a mouse and keyboard, that is completely up to him. But I recommend on getting a mechanical keyboard and a good laser mouse, instead of a wireless setup. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/f3KcFT

3. pillojon106

pillojon106
    Expand Collapse

He just wanted that extra power for gaming with x99

Cpu looks great but Intel is gonna release 5th gen i5 and i7 not referring to x99

When I was choosing the Asus x99 deluxe, it came with an pcie x4 m.2 adapter so that's why I got that m.2 and I heard it would be faster than a single

The psu was overkill I know but I thought it was enough

the reason I didn't choose an hhd is because I have a couple of hard drives he can use for storage

Ok... I might get noctua fans instead because I bought 3 of them for my dads itx build and they are great.

he looked at the white version and didn't like it. He prefers the black one.

he wanted his or to be portable without any wires with just power and hdmi. Also the k800 is slim so he really wanted that. nd the mouse was my recommendation because I had that mouse for 2'yearsband I loved it but I lost mine. Im gonna changed it up a little bit to his liking...

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9tn8mG

4. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

A 4790k is actually better for gaming than a 5960X. Don't waste your money, go Z97.

- - - Updated - - -

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2nstsY

- - - Updated - - -

Also, you won't need a billion case fans if you go water cooled. The case stock ones will be fine for the GPU.

5. pillojon106

pillojon106
    Expand Collapse

I talked to my brother and he wants x99 still. I know but I told him he doesn't need 8 cores and 16 threads for gaming. So I put a build for him with a 5820k and the reason I chose that cou is because it does better than the 4790k, 5930k and the 5960x on most games and benchmarks on tomshardware and he isn't gonna do 4 way sli. He told me he will run 1 980 and an m.2 ssd on a pcie x4 adapter. He will add another 980 if he wants. The reason I go so many case fans is because the stock fans for the h100i suck. I have them. So I will push pull with noctua industrial 2000 fans and use the rest of those fans for case fans. He wants them for optimal cooling. So here is his build he wants... http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vmDQgs

6. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Your brother obviously has no idea what to buy and only wants x99 because it's "better".
    A 4790K is a better gaming CPU than any haswell-E because of higher single core performance. Get a 4790K and a good Z97 board.
    And don't get 20 case fans, you'll only make more noise and you won't boost the performance of a AIO liquid cooling loop.

Save $1000 and get a better PC, it's a double win.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, get a Cooler Master. I've heard of many Corsair liquid coolers leaking. Hell, I've seen one literally explode.

7. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Deeper pipeline fucks over haswell-E for gaming compared to regular haswell, plus regular haswell can achieve higher clocks.

- - - Updated - - -

Alot of them seem to have gunk and swarf in them too, not much good.

8. pillojon106

pillojon106
    Expand Collapse

I put together a z97 build that I think should be good. I just want to know if these parts are good to max out EVERY GAME at 1440p
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/k9hvYJ

9. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Yes, it will max out every game in 1440.
    I wouldn't get an EVGA 980 though, they have coil whine. I'd go Gigabyte or MSI.

10. pillojon106

pillojon106
    Expand Collapse

I'll stick with msi but which card should I get? The reference design or the acx cooler?

11. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

ACX is EVGA's cooler. MSI's is called Gaming G4 I think.
    The custom cooler is better.

12. pillojon106

pillojon106
    Expand Collapse

Thank you. I would just like to know what the best g sync moniter for gaming at 1080p

#12 pillojon106, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  13. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

No idea. If you can afford an IPS monitor go for it though.

14. deject3d

deject3d
    Expand Collapse

you know that maxing 1080p is not hard right? enthusiast hardware nowadays is for maxing out at like 1440p+

a 1200w psu, the 5960x, and a single gtx 980... lol. honestly this build is a joke right? it's probably the least informed way to blow $4000 i've ever seen if the goal is just to play games at previous-gen resolutions.

just buy a haswell i5, a 500-600w psu, and a single gtx 980... it'll perform basically the same in games and save you literally thousands. buy a regular micro atx motherboard and smaller case. buy 2x 8gb sticks of ram if you really want.. you'll never use it anyway. don't buy seven fans. buy a regular 500gb ssd (840 evo is great).

i'm literally offended by your build.

15. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

God dammit, we've been through this. He's building with a 4790K now.

Also, why mATX? ATX ftw.

16. pillojon106

pillojon106
    Expand Collapse

Look through the thread. I'm getting 4790k but I want a very good g sync 1080p moniter

17. deject3d

deject3d
    Expand Collapse

sorry, didn't read a handful of posts here because some people are on my ignore list. you still have the issue of the $500 ssd, 1200w psu, huge case, 32gb ram, etc? because they are not good items to purchase.

18. pillojon106

pillojon106
    Expand Collapse

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/k9hvYJ look at this build...

19. ItaliAsian

ItaliAsian
    Expand Collapse

The sabertooth is ugly and overpriced, I would suggest a cheaper board with the features you need, not the ones that you will never use with the sabertooth. Save your money don't get the Corsair Dominator Platinum's, they are a waste of money. Having two ssd's in raid 0 is also a waste of money, the price to performance is way to high and a single ssd will do the same thing for much cheaper. Same thing with the storage drives, you don't need two WD blacks, get a single WD blue 1tb for games and applications and a 2tb or 3tb red for music, movies, ect. That monitor you chose is a part of the ProArt series of asus monitors, It is meant for color accuracy not gaming. I chose one for you that is cheaper and for gaming, low response time and high refresh rate. Get your brother into a Fry's Electorinic, Micro Center, Best Buy, and show him a mechanical keyboard and good laser or optical mouse. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RqDMD3

20. pillojon106

pillojon106
    Expand Collapse

He wants the mouse and keyboard wireless and backlit. I cant find any good mouse or keyboard other than the k800 and the m510. I got the msi z97 gaming 7 instead because I like msi boards and this one is good for him. I got corsair vengeance pros instead of platinum's to save money and they look cool. I've got a pair of vengeance ram. I prefer 2 ssds because my other build has got them and they make the difference between one ssd. you might disagree but I prefer them. I'm not trying to save money so im fine with 2 ssds. The reason I got 2 WD blacks is because the case comes with 2 hotswap bays and I like those hard drives. I might add 2 more for the heck of it. The monitor is giving me troubles but I want a g sync moniter though for the 980s.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice