PC upgrade?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by FaceyDuck, Aug 6, 2020.

1. FaceyDuck

FaceyDuck
    Expand Collapse

Hey guys, I'm thinking of upgrading my CPU to an Intel i9 EXTREME with 18 processor cores, and also getting 64 GB of RAM, should I do it? Post your suggestions!

2. Señor Krill

Señor Krill
    Expand Collapse

depends on what you do
    --- Post updated ---
    if your just playing games that's overkill, I do programming, 3D modeling and some AI and the 32GB pc they provided was overkill. but it was nice having that extra headroom to play with

3. FaceyDuck

FaceyDuck
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I make my computer do a lot of multitasking, like gaming while having a lot of things open while recording and stuff like that, but I understand what you mean. I think the upgrade would be great, but I have to pay for a $1000 CPU! This is why I need suggestions
    Oh and also, I'm going to need water cooling

4. rottenfitzy

rottenfitzy
    Expand Collapse

Your specs are overkill for 90% of applications already, so I wouldn’t recommend it.

5. Señor Krill

Señor Krill
    Expand Collapse

I stand with your opinion.
    If I may ask Facey, how old are you. if your still in school or even university your pc won't need a upgrade for atleast 3 years

6. FaceyDuck

FaceyDuck
    Expand Collapse

Maybe I should do the regular i9 but I HATE the i7 I'm using right now. It always just overheats and that makes it slow.
    I need to future proof my computer, because I don't plan on getting another one for a long time.

7. Señor Krill

Señor Krill
    Expand Collapse

if the i7 overheats the i9 will also overheat. rather get better cooling instead of getting a i9. And a i7 is future proof
    --- Post updated ---
    also check benchmarks, the 7900k does better than a i9 9900k in some games. I really suggest not upgrading as a i9 is more of a workstation cpu

8. FaceyDuck

FaceyDuck
    Expand Collapse

I was saying I would get water cooling along with my i9, and I'm getting a relatively fast i9.

9. Señor Krill

Señor Krill
    Expand Collapse

ah okay forgot about that. But which i9 are you getting. as the extra cores dont really help alot in games

10. PriusRepellent

PriusRepellent
    Expand Collapse

i7s are hot chips. Always have been. You should get a good cooler for it. A 100mm+ AIO would be ideal.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice