Performance Issues/Low CPU & GPU Usage

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by cardriver96, Dec 16, 2020.

1. cardriver96

cardriver96
    Expand Collapse

Hello everybody, As mentioned in the title, I'm having some performance issues while running BeamNG drive. The other day I was recording some 4K content for my YouTube channel and noticed that I was getting lower FPS that I expected (this has happened before, it's just that yesterday I decided to run some performance monitoring programs incl. Task Manager to see what was causing the bottleneck).

Despite the low framerate (which appeared to be around 40-50FPS), I also noticed that the CPU/GPU were underutilized, with only 30% of the CPU was being used while only 40-70% of the GPU was being used. There are 32GB (2x16GB) of 3200MHZ RAM installed on the system with 77% of it being utilized at the time.

The performance issues took on the American Road map (certainly not limited to this map only), while driving a M5 mod and nine cars (BeamNG cars, not mods) spawned as traffic on the background. The FPS and GPU utilization improved at lower speeds but not by much.

Can someone let me know why this might be happening to me and what I can do to solve it? That would be much appreciated.

Specs:
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
    GPU: Gigabyte 5700 XT Gaming OC
    RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200Mhz
    SSD: Sabrent 1TB ROCKET NVMe PCIe M.2 2280
    Motherboard: X570 Aorus Pro Wifi ATX

2. Jonah Parkinson

Jonah Parkinson
    Expand Collapse

Might be some sort of driver issue. Also, what were the temperatures like?

3. cardriver96

cardriver96
    Expand Collapse

The GPU temps are usually in the low 70s and while I didn't check the CPU temps at the time, they usually stay below 70C and low 70s during stress testing. The drivers (esp. GPU drivers) are recent. It's weird because I've played other less optimized games (FS2020) and the GPU still manages to get up to 90-99% utilization even at an ultrawide 1080p resolution. One other thing that I'm wondering is that could it be due to the cars/textures spawning on the background in the map?

4. Jonah Parkinson

Jonah Parkinson
    Expand Collapse

How many Traffic Vehicles did you have in the map?

5. cardriver96

cardriver96
    Expand Collapse

I believe it was nine. The 3900X is a 12-core, 24-thread CPU and should be able to handle far more than that.

6. Jonah Parkinson

Jonah Parkinson
    Expand Collapse

That's weird. What graphics setting did you have it at?

7. cardriver96

cardriver96
    Expand Collapse

The graphics settings are all set to high within the game.

8. Jonah Parkinson

Jonah Parkinson
    Expand Collapse

I can't think of anything else it could be. The only thing I can suggest is to update the drivers and the game (If they are not already the latest versions).

9. cardriver96

cardriver96
    Expand Collapse

Are you thinking of the graphics drivers or any other kind of drivers?

10. Jonah Parkinson

Jonah Parkinson
    Expand Collapse

The graphics and CPU drivers. Not sure if it would help, but it's worth a try.

11. cardriver96

cardriver96
    Expand Collapse

Ok I'll check if they're outdated and I'll update them.
    --- Post updated ---
    I believe I found somewhat of a solution although this may not be the desired one. I just started up the game (at 4K res once again) and loaded up the Italy map. While driving the regular Gavril D-Series pick up truck without any other cars loaded in the game, I was still getting fluctuations in GPU utilization varying between 40-85%. Then, I quit the game, removed all the mods and am now getting about about 80-90%+ in GPU utilization, although it still goes down to 70% in some instances. The weird thing is that the FPS doesn't even fluctuate all that much despite GPU utilization going down to 60-70%. I'm still surprised the game is unable to use 100% of the GPU.

12. ThomasMu

ThomasMu
    Expand Collapse

I'm also running the game in 4K and have a similar problem, but i don't have a problem with the FPS since it's steady at 60.

On the Italy map with 8 cars the GPU utilization fluctuates between 60-90%, i have tried to set the power management mode for BeamNG to maximum performance in Nvidia Control Panel but it has no effect. It seems that the game is reverting this setting to adaptive as soon as i start the game.

With BeamNG the GPU won't boost much higher than 1300-1400 MHz but with other games with the performance plan sett to maximum performance the boost is around 2012-2025 Mhz depending on temperature. I have no problems with the temperature in BeamNG, it's usually around 40°C and in other more demanding games it barely goes past 65°C.

I have not tried to use the option in the game settings to force high performance plan since that permanently changes the power setting for the CPU in windows.

Specs:
    CPU: i9 9900K 5.0 GHz OC.
    GPU:Rog Strix 1080ti.
    RAM: 32GB 3000 MHz

13. fivedollarlamp

fivedollarlamp
    Expand Collapse

Just curious, but have you tried verifying the integrity of your game files?

14. cardriver96

cardriver96
    Expand Collapse

I believe I found a solution although this may not be the desired one. I just started up the game (at 4K res once again) and loaded up the Italy map. While driving the regular Gavril D-Series pick up truck without any other cars loaded in the game, I was still getting fluctuations in GPU utilization varying between 40-85%. Then, I quite the game, removed all the mods and am now getting about about 80-90%+ in GPU utilization, although it still goes down to 70% in some instances. The weird thing is that the FPS doesn't even fluctuate all that much despite GPU utilization
    I'd like to believe there are serious optimization issues within the game. I've seen other threads where people mention that the CPU could be overloaded if you spawn a lot of cars and therefore would be unable to process information from the GPU very efficiently, leading to lower optimization of the GPU, however I'm still having fluctuations in GPU utilization even with one car spawned (as mentioned above).
    --- Post updated ---
    Just ran the process on Steam and everything appears to be fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice