On Hold "Period-correct" parts mod.

Discussion in 'Mods and Skins' started by Quotex, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Quotex

Quotex
    Expand Collapse

EDIT: THIS MOD IS ON HOLD UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE, I want to spend more time on the Dutch Map Mod, so i'll resume progress on this later.

Introduction

Okay, before I start, let me explain the title... With Period-correctness, I mean i will be replicating real-life specifications of similar vehicles offered at the time. Of course there's no way to be 100% accurate, since Beam.NG vehicles are fictional, and were never actually produced. This is just to replicate the closest real-life equivalent of the vehicle that was offered.

What will I be replicating?
    • Engine Power / Torque Curves.
    • Fuel efficiency.
    • Engine weight / Exhaust system weight.
    • Transmission Gear Ratios.
    • Differential Ratios.
    Why?
    It actually started as a personal project, i wanted to see how the Ibishu Covet would perform if it had a Honda D15B2 engine swap, coupled to a Honda 5-speed transmission offered at the time. The results were kind of interesting, so i figured that it'd do this for all the vehicles, and release it as a mod.

Note: this is only a performance-changing mod, it doesn't actually add any new models. The parts will stick to general names or fictionalized names in order to fit better in the Beam.NG lore.

To-Do List:

Release V 0.1 will have the Bruckell Moonhawk overhauled.

Bruckell Moonhawk
    (Parts from: 1973-1977 Chevrolet Chevelle-Malibu Coupe)​
    • Replace "244 CUI I6 Engine" (New engine based on Chevrolet's 3rd Gen 250 CUI Straight-6)
    • Replace "378 CUI V8 Engine" (New engine based on a down-scaled Chevrolet 400 CUI Small-block V8)
    • Replace "3-Speed Manual Transmission" (New transmission based on the Saginaw Muncie SM326 3-speed manual)
    • Replace "3-Speed Automatic Transmission" (New transmission based on the GM Turbo Hydramatic 3-speed automatic)
    • Replace "4-Speed Manual Transmission" (New transmission based on the Muncie M21/M22 Close Ratio 4-speed manual)
    • Replace "3.08 Open Differential", "2.64 Open Differential", "2.83 Open Differential" (I'll be using the differentials that were offered on the Chevelle, a long with some optional ones offered)
    • Change weights of engines, transmissions, exhausts accordingly.
    How will i be replicating these?
    I will "recreate" engines in a program called automation, most of you will know it, after that is done i will do some small minor adjustments in order to get the curves just right.

For fuel consumption i will be advising the internet (this will be troublesome for older cars, so it'll probably be done in later buids, after i'm done with all the parts)

For Transmissions i will use Automobile-catalog.com this is a comprehensive website that has most of the gear ratios written down... I will also fine-tune the automatic shift points to fit with the new gear ratios better.

If you have any advice, or know info about the cars i'll be taking the parts from, let me know.

P.S. Since this is mainly a script mod, i can't really show any progress screenshots, unless you people would like watching at codes, i'll add some pictures of the new torque curves later though, and videos of how the new vehicles perform agains the stock Beam.NG ones.​

#1 Quotex, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
    • Like Like x 8
  2. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

I like the look of this, I see this providing a real edge of realism to the game with real engines not the fictional engines in the game..

3. Quotex

Quotex
    Expand Collapse

It's going to be a bumpy road as well, Automation's soft ware is based upon a generalized view of engine performances around the time, so i'll have to improvise here and there with the torque values a bit to make it work. But it'll be pretty accurate.

Progress so far:

Got the 250 CUI Straight-6 pretty much done, specifications are pretty much the ones on the automobile-catalog website.

The 3-speed manual has had some slight gear changes, nothing major. a few decimals adjusted in the ratios, as it was pretty much spot on already.

The 3.08 differential didn't need any adjusting as it was already in the game.

Right now i'm playing with the torque curve a bit to get it onto that 17.5 second 0-100 time.

#3 Quotex, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  4. Andrew W.

Andrew W.
    Expand Collapse

This is cool! And you are using Automation for this to provide the correct size of bore and engine block?

5. Quotex

Quotex
    Expand Collapse

Correct, i'll be using automation to simulate the Torque curves of the real engines... as for fuel efficiency i'm not sure, since i often have to mess with part quality to get close to the real thing. The quality changes also have impact on the fuel efficiency. So that they may deviate from what the efficiency actually was, i'll be using the automobile-catalog's simulated fuel mileages, and i'll try to get close to them in the game.

6. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

I'm not familiar with the tool "Automation", and that's a difficult search term. Could someone provide a link?

7. SodaWolf

SodaWolf
    Expand Collapse

Here you go! I have Automation so I know the website quite well. x3
    http://www.automationgame.com/

• Like Like x 1
  8. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  9. SodaWolf

SodaWolf
    Expand Collapse

No problem!

10. CTJacob

CTJacob
    Expand Collapse

11. Quotex

Quotex
    Expand Collapse

Way ahead of ya, using the '73 model though...

Finished the 250 CID engine, it's pretty accurate acceleration wise (less the 0.1 second difference between the Ingame car and the real thing.)
    Adjusted engine weight and the exhaust weight.

Exhaust is slightly lighter, engine is slightly heavier. I'll put down a summary of the changes i've done so far in a moment, once i've finished all the moonhawk stuff i'll publish a first release. after that i'll decide which car to do next.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice