Player-made car names (opinion)

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Karl Reese, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Karl Reese

Karl Reese
    Expand Collapse

Hey!

I thought I might briefly talk about something that has been on my mind for some time.
    Looking at BeamNG-s player-made mods, there is some pretty awesome content, both
    cars and terrains and even more. But one thing that has always slightly questioned me is
    people naming their mods after official BeamNG manufacturers like Gavril and ETK. I do think that some
    mods actually live up to the official quality and look very nice overall, like the S-Series, but it
    just doesn't feel right. It is like if I composed a song and said that this is a new song by Calvin Harris.

I'm not being salty or anything but I just feel like the official brands like ETK and Gavril should be
    reserved for official releases and content.
    What do you think?

2. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

That would greatly narrow down ideas for mods, since creating a car from scratch is hard, so most mods are based on official cars (S-Series is based on the 800 Series). And making a car based on, let's say, Gavril, and calling it somethink like "Lolbrook" wouldnt make sense, so scratch made cars would be the only option (beside rebadges, but their number is limited).
    Also most community created brand names sound cringy.

3. Cory5503

Cory5503
    Expand Collapse

No offense, but I 100% disagree with you on this one. While the game is great on its own, these mods using the in-game manufacturers expand and enhance the game. Personally, I'd like to see all mods use in-game companies rather than real life companies because it separates the game from reality and make it something special. That's just my take on it.

4. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

Agree. I don't even use real life mods (except some really old ones that hold sentimental value to me). Because back in 2014, I only used russian mods and, witnessing their great difference from real cars, developed a disliking for all real car mods.

5. Cory5503

Cory5503
    Expand Collapse

Yes! I do the same exact thing! Im very picky and the only real name brand mod I have is SergentFido's Oldsmobile.

6. Karl Reese

Karl Reese
    Expand Collapse

Fair enough. I thought that this may be just my own strange quirk, no offense taken. For me it's only that I used
    to play Rigs of Rods already years before BeamNG was a thing so Gavril for example goes already way back for me.
    That being said, I would love to see the MV4, MZ2, Omega, Zeta and Bandit brought back to life (in an official way since
    I know there is a player-made port for the Bandit).

7. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

Ain't going to happen. Gabester wouldn't allow it.

8. Karl Reese

Karl Reese
    Expand Collapse

What do you mean? He is the lead designer of BeamNG after all. Besides he once said that he has considered at least
    making facelift or new models of the old RoR cars so...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice