Solved Polygons on model are invisble

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by Average Person, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Average Person

Average Person
    Expand Collapse

The screenshot shows what I am referring to.
    I have been designing a map that is model based for a while now and I just recently encountered this, it is not a normal facing the wrong way as it does have collision and the model and colmesh are the same.
    I have tried applying materials to it but its still there, changing the model just moves it.
    Its random how many of these there are but even trying to delete some spaces in case it's just a model size limit just moved them, also I already know that large models like this need to be split into smaller parts so that parts you can't see can be culled out but that's not the issue I seem to be having.

Attached Files:

• 20170705193810_1.jpg
  2. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Send model?

3. Average Person

Average Person
    Expand Collapse

Here

Attached Files:

4. meywue

meywue
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    BeamNG Team

Unfortunately I cannot find the culprit on the mesh itself.

Anyways I recommend you to use the editor's terrain tool to create terrains instead of using a giant mesh for it.

First this will increase the performance of your level. The rendering of terrain is different than the rendering of static objects.
    Furthermore with the terrain tool you're able to use some blending texture tools which makes the visual appearance of the ground more unique, not to mention the grass and forest tools.

That does not mean that you cannot use the created mesh anymore. You can bake a height map from your mesh and import it to the game engine. The game engine's terrain tool is capable of reading greyscale textures to create the terrain out of it.

5. Average Person

Average Person
    Expand Collapse

Yeah the terrain would work if I had a choice of where to put tiles and there was no size limit, The thing with this map is that its not following the idea that it would be in a square, if the engine could even handle a heightmap that big not to mention the file size of a image that big I would be saving a lot more time and performance, I already plan on cutting this mesh into small parts and culling out the parts you can't see if parts of the map you can't see are 0 polygons then they shouldn't impact the game, I already am going to assume the file size won't be the smallest and I can't go to crazy with culling as I have to consider how much a cpu can take.
    Thanks for the advice, I would also like to ask if there is a way to setup ai without decal roads as I can not use them.

6. Average Person

Average Person
    Expand Collapse

For anyone with this issue I found a work around, it seems setting smooth shading on the model before you export fixes the issue and works for my map as it adds shading to hide spikes in geometry.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice