Possibility of and plans for the implementation of split-screen support?

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by NewoFox, Oct 8, 2016.

1. NewoFox

NewoFox
    Expand Collapse

The demolition mode is pretty nifty, but is ultimately limited in immersion by its fixed and distant camera angle, which prevents the immersion the game is capable of providing from truly being felt. It also could use some fleshing out in terms of being able to select the number of players (humans only) and perhaps class of vehicles participating - but that is for another thread.

I understand it is no easy undertaking, but a) is it possible in the engine, even with a severe compromise to graphics quality and b) is it planned at any point in the future? I can think of few things that would be more entertaining (PC local-multiplayer-wise) than blazing a course with a friend around any of the official or downloaded terrains while listening to music and knocking back a couple of cold ones, or racing to complete the same scenario, with or without inter-vehicle collisions (proximity ghosting, a la Forza Horizon 2?).

I feel like local split-screen multiplayer is the happy middle-ground to tackling the absolute nightmare that would be multiplayer net-code, if it is possible at all.

Hell, even if the graphics neared Rigs of Rods, it'd still be revolutionary. I of course don't know much about the engine that is being worked with, or whether little if any of what I am talking about is possible - I just thought I would put the idea out there - I feel like many ardent BeamNG fans would like to cross the divide from showing the game to others to playing it with them.

2. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Discussed to death, devs have commented on the matter many a time. Theres a searchbar for a reason.

3. NewoFox

NewoFox
    Expand Collapse

All of those discussions (with the exception of one) were quite a while ago, with the game having progressed by leaps and bounds in both performance and stability since then.

Perhaps I was looking to see if the answer had changed or been updated, or if the possibility of the task had increased?

#3 NewoFox, Oct 8, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  4. MilanKD

MilanKD
    Expand Collapse

you can make your computer think it's one by changing your grapics settings

5. NewoFox

NewoFox
    Expand Collapse

What do you mean?

I saw in a previous thread that someone had run two instances of BeamNG simultaneously, but the problem then would be having both windows selected with a controller assigned to (and actively controlling) each at the same time.

I imagine the biggest barrier to split-screen at present is the absence of aggressive viewpoint-based render-culling, which forces each perspective to render the entirety of the terrain and not simply what is seen on camera. The opposite sides of distant hills (within the view distance) are rendered because presently there is nothing programmed to tell the engine not to.

With more aggressive culling (a la GTA IV-V), a lot of processing and rendering power could be potentially conserved by having everything not directly visible immediately drop to the lowest LOD, if it is rendered at all.

That says nothing about the feasibility of the task, of course - or whether the trade-off would be stuttering and visual pop-in issues as the engine struggles to update render status for large and intricate scenes.

#5 NewoFox, Oct 8, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  6. randomshortguy

randomshortguy
    Expand Collapse

You're right in my opinion, but there's a myriad of things wrong with the graphics engine and adding better occlusion culling and split-screen functionality is probably pretty low on the list. Even though improving the engine should really a top priority...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice