1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

possible cause of poor FPS on the official maps

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by jammin2222, Sep 16, 2014.

1. jammin2222

jammin2222
    Expand Collapse

So I just copied the ocean settings from dry rock island into my map and it murdered the FPS from 80-90 down to 25-35.

While the water looks really nice, are you planning on keeping it that way? I haven't enjoyed any of the stock maps since the pre race update due to stuttering and poor FPS. I even posted a temporary video just after the pre race update showing how my fps was jumping from 100 down to 30 on the industrial map. One of the devs replied saying "it shouldn't drop that much" but never heard any more after that.

So after I copied the ocean settings today and discovered my map is now performing like the stock maps I have concluded that its the water causing this insane FPS drop. Is there anything you can do to the water to keep it looking nice but lower its rendering cost? I haven't spent more than 10 minutes playing on DRI, small Island or Industrial since the pre race update due to horrendous stuttering and highly fluctuating frame rates.

Anyone want to chip in on this issue?

2. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

I deleted all water objects including the ocean in East Coast map and my FPS didn't change at all.

3. jammin2222

jammin2222
    Expand Collapse

I don't have that map, I haven't opted into the experimental build yet. I will load DRI and delete the ocean and see what happens, brb

ok so I deleted all the water from DRI and fps shot up from 33 to 60

#3 jammin2222, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  4. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

Okay, same thing with DRI, 0 fps change.

5. jammin2222

jammin2222
    Expand Collapse

With water
    screenshot_00008.jpg

Without water
    screenshot_00009.jpg

6. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

You deleted a lot of other stuff as well. Maybe its the sounds?

7. jammin2222

jammin2222
    Expand Collapse

Erm I though I just deleted the contents of the water folder (the ocean and the lakes)

I will recheck again to make sure nothing else was selected.

Nope I'm sure I just deleted the water. It kind of looks like I deleted a lot of stuff but its the water folder collapsing after I deleted its contents.

again with water
    screenshot_00000.jpg
    again without water
    screenshot_00001.jpg

I used to get 60-80 FPS on this map before the pre race update. Me finks a new pair of graphics cards is needed.

8. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

Thanks for verifying it, i wonder why it's so bad for you.

9. jammin2222

jammin2222
    Expand Collapse

I wonder if its the fact I'm running SLI and the water reflections don't play well with it?

10. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

you could undo the SLI and retest ;)

11. Miura

Miura
    Expand Collapse

Try turning fullReflect off and select BNG_Sky_02_cubemap in the water object settings (lakes/rivers too, if they have it on). Then it reflects just the static cubemap, not live reflections. Almost no effect on my computer, though.

12. jammin2222

jammin2222
    Expand Collapse

This is weird, just highlighting the ocean munches the fps, when I select the lake the fps shoots up.
    2.jpg 3.jpg

ok SLI seems to be part of the problem. Without SLI there is little change in the fps with or without water. The fps is obviously worse than with SLI enabled though.

Disabling full reflect with SLI enabled helps boost FPS a tiny bit but it still stutters.

With no SLI the fps stays around 30-40 with or without water. stuttering and micro pauses are still apparent.

on my map With SLI before using DRI water settings My fps would be smooth with very little stuttering. I fluctuate from 45-75 fps around the map and it feels fluid. With DRI settings my map fluctuates from 25-55 FPS and its choppy and laggy.

I guess its my rig starting to show its age. I wonder how my 2 GTX 580's compare to a GTX 780......

13. pulley999

pulley999
    Expand Collapse

If you can hold out a few more weeks, the GTX 900 series is about to launch on the Maxwell architecture.

14. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Remains to see if the same DX9 problems effecting the 780 and Titan will remain on Maxwell. Hopefully not.

15. pulley999

pulley999
    Expand Collapse

What about the 750/Ti and 800m series parts? I haven't seen any complaints regarding those. They're Maxwell too, or am I missing something?

16. jammin2222

jammin2222
    Expand Collapse

Nice, I have about a grand to spare for upgrades, but I kind of want to stick with SLI as when it works its freaking awesome. I could just about squeak 2 gtx 780's if I shop around. Doubt I could afford two 980's when they come out.

Was thinking about getting a 3rd gtx 580 and a new psu as my motherboard supports 3 cards. I found my exact card on amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gainward-Nv...95&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=SLI+gtx+580+gainward

They say they have two used ones for £85. Its a bit of a gamble.

Also as SLI is partly a problem by the look of it, a 3rd card wont really help the situation I guess. Nor would getting two of anything help. I just want more power! lol

17. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Nah, probably me missing something, but the NVidia GK110 based products (which I think are kepler?) have had bizarre performance issues with DirectX9.
    Haven't heard of any 750 issues, so I guess Maxwell must be sorted.

My next GPU will be 900 series regardless. Still got an old GTX460 in my rig.

18. pulley999

pulley999
    Expand Collapse

I was considering a 970 to use my 2K monitor to its fullest 60Hz potential, but seeing as my motherboard just keeled over it looks like that money might be going towards a Devil's Canyon upgrade instead.

19. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Devils canyon is also on the list

20. jammin2222

jammin2222
    Expand Collapse

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice