1. Stuck, Having problems with creating your mod? Let us help you: Mod Support

Programming custom electric motors, steering & ESCs

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Excrubulent, Dec 23, 2017.

  1. Excrubulent

    Excrubulent
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2013
    Messages:
    53
    Awesome, thanks for all the info. It's late night where I am now, so I'll get onto that in the morning and let you know if I have any questions.
     
  2. Excrubulent

    Excrubulent
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2013
    Messages:
    53
    Hmmm... what I'm reading here is that despite whatever technical merits motor-in-wheel might have, it's going to be more work. So it's out for now. I'm going to move the motors to the middle, where the diffs would go, and restore the front & rear driveshafts. I might also revert the changes to the subframe & body, so I don't have to do any work on those jbeam structures, at least for now.

    This also means there will be space for friction brakes, so if I want to include them, I can.
     
    #22 Excrubulent, Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  3. Darren9

    Darren9
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2013
    Messages:
    1,317
    ^ The way jbeam works is for the most part the powertrain isn't physical, it's all calculated and a final torque applied directly to the wheels (and some counter torque at the motor/engine and diffs if you include it). It's possible to have incredibly powerful engines/motors that weigh nothing.

    Certain nodes with certain weights are used to represent the usually heavier powertrain components, and how good your mod is (IMO) is how accurately you've represented the mass/strength of everything in it's correct pplace. What that means is it's entirely possible to add hub motors without increasing the mass of the hubs, and increasing the mass of the hubs is also easy (just add to the mass of the nodes in that area).

    If you do it properly and add the correct mass for the power of the motors you're using it might end up handling worse with the motor in the hub. I'd put them where the diffs are, and have the batteries in the floor and under the seats I think. You'll still have a bit of re-jiggering to do removing the petrol engine and associated bits but nothing that'll need massive changes to the jbeam (just remove a few nodes and make some others a bit heavier/lighter).

    The real difficulty will be torque vectoring ESC I think, I won't be any help at all with that :)
     
  4. Excrubulent

    Excrubulent
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2013
    Messages:
    53
    Yeah, I'd like to do it properly, which means completely rejiggering the suspension if it's on the wheel, I didn't think much about that. Plus I still have to decide how the motor should fit in a very limited space. Screw that noise.


    The ESC stuff is my jam, no worries there. :) I see this motor placement & jbeam stuff as the annoying boilerplate needed for the real interesting work, hence my reluctance to complicate matters.
     
    #24 Excrubulent, Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  5. Excrubulent

    Excrubulent
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2013
    Messages:
    53
    So I've moved the motors and added a placeholder battery. I've also restored all the original parts and renamed any parts that have been edited, so as far as I understand, if I export this as a DAE it should still work with the stock vehicle configurations, but it'll have a few more parts in it.

    2018-01-1523_50_27-Blender.png

    The parts I've added you can see highlighted here. The motors are a lot smaller than they should be, and I don't really know how big the battery should be. I'll research that myself. I made the motors so small because otherwise they would clip through the subframes, and also through the driveshafts. So I'll need to push the driveshaft ends outwards, and make a bit more room in the subframes for the motors. But that's all in the future, this is all placeholder geometry to make the idea as clear as possible. Once I know a bit more about jbeams I'll be able to change this stuff around.

    Next up I'll need to create some jbeam structures for these parts & make the motors work.

    EDIT: Also, interestingly, the inside ends of the driveshafts are lower than the wheels, so contrary to what I said before, putting the motors on the wheels would result in a higher COG, not a lower one.
     
    #25 Excrubulent, Jan 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice